Sponsored by:

Front bumper durability

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 12:08 PM
dribar
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Front bumper durability

I've been driving my white Carrera to work for almost a month now -- no highway. I bought her with 1300 miles and not a scratch to replace a 2017 white Audi TT that was also my DD. After two years, the TT didn't have a mark on it, but after 4 weeks the Carrera is a mess.

I know what you're thinking, why not just put a wrap on the front. I thought of that but have not had great experience with wraps on white cars; and thought there wouldn't be a problem since the TT held up so well.

It breaks my heart. I saved and waited a long time for this car. Take a look and let me know your thoughts. I've had two Caymans and can't remember if it was a problem with them or not. Is the 911 got really soft plastic up front or am I just unlucky?

Old 09-15-2018, 12:23 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Stone chips, on our white front bumpers, are brutal because of the immediate exposure of the black substrate.

Look into Dr. Color Chip and the Porsche touch up paint. Use a much smaller artist brush, though.
Old 09-15-2018, 04:59 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,227 Likes on 742 Posts

If it bothers you so much, think again about clear bra. Car is low and susceptible to all kinds of road debris, especially from trucks (try not to drive behind them). After a few more months, be prepared for pitted windshield. Just the nature of the beast.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:07 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

The 991.1 is the 1st car I've ever installed a clear bra and I'm glad I did. Even with the extra added protection the front end take a beating.

For you, I would get the bumper professionally touched up and then clear bra the front clip...... then enjoy driving the heck out of it.

I think when I hit the 5 year mark I might get the bra removed...... scratches touched up and then rebra'ed.

And yes even with the clear ..... rocks have penetrated all the way to the paint.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:47 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

I have had my 2012.5 protected since new and its barely marked. It is a silver car rather than white and looks fine. I understand that the newer films do not yellow as the old ones did.
- One thing to consider is that one unlucky bad day could have caused all of that.
- Another is that the front cap may have already been repaired and with less hard paint than original.
- Yet another is that the cost of repainting a front bumper cap is roughly the same as having it covered (typically ~$600)! But I still think the PPF provides some peace of mind for those that are prone to worry.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:42 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
The 991.1 is the 1st car I've ever installed a clear bra and I'm glad I did. Even with the extra added protection the front end take a beating.

For you, I would get the bumper professionally touched up and then clear bra the front clip...... then enjoy driving the heck out of it.

I think when I hit the 5 year mark I might get the bra removed...... scratches touched up and then rebra'ed.

And yes even with the clear ..... rocks have penetrated all the way to the paint.
+1.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:17 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

My car is suffering from the same issue

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1097...hese-days.html

I have also discovered paint cracking on the bottom of my sideskirt along with a crack.. Never bottomed out before. Ouch!

I think the best thing to do is fill in the paint chips and get a PPF on the front.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:35 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default water based pain't is designed to chip off

Since the went to water based paint PPF is the only recourse (3 to 5 mills thick vs enamel which I 6 to 11 mills thick)
Old 09-17-2018, 09:59 PM
dribar
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
My car is suffering from the same issue
just read your post. Seems like you are asking the same question as I am. I totally understand the low car, and not driving behind trucks... that’s not the question. It just seems to me that the front end is soft and delicate compared to other cars I’ve owned. My TT has the same ground clearance on the front, and the same general shape on the bottom spoiler... two years and no chips driving the exact same route.

ill most likely do the touch up and bra... but was trying to get some clarity first.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:56 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Yeah, the paint on these is the softest I've ever witnessed on a car. It makes correcting little blemishes on the paint easier than any car I've ever had, but also has the tradeoff of being very delicate. My wheels have more aggressive offsets than stock wheels and are as wide as you'll get on a 991, so I'm sure that only "enhances" how much it can kick up debris, but get a flashlight and look closely at the bottom half of your doors (at least those of you with over 14K miles) and obviously all around your lower quarter panels (around the OEM tiny PPF thing) if you really want to be horrified. I've accepted it as the nature of the beast, and I just use touchup paint to mend them (most are so small I need to use toothpicks to apply, but I'm OCD like that). On one hand, the car is so low that it picks up so much stuff, on the other it's so low that you really can't notice what it picks up unless crouching down and getting up close.

It's a 911. One part garage queen worthy gem, and one part durable adventurous beast. Finding a comfortable middle ground between both is the "plight" of 911 ownership I guess.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:15 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

(Wrote this in the other thread but adding it here)....

One guy bought some mud flaps and bolted them into his front fender linings (just after the front wheels). I have honestly considered it. The car is so low that it didn't seem that noticeable. But they're still mud flaps. I bought a pair for less than $10 from Amazon, but after convincing myself to do it, I backed out (for obvious reasons). It would be a much cheaper way of taking care of door and fender "self inflicted" chips than PPF all over the sides. But still.... they're mud flaps on a sports car. Many would consider that a bigger eye sore than a bunch of tiny rock chips. Something to consider, I guess.

Quick Reply: Front bumper durability