Sponsored by:

Apple Car Play to Support Waze on Sept 18th

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 06:52 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLBond
Better yet, turn on Listen for "Hey Siri" and Allow Siri when locked. This way, all you have to do is simply say "Hey Siri" and speak your commands; no need to press anything or take your eyes off road.
The side button on the handle for voice command is an option
Old 09-26-2018, 07:16 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it just me or. . . is the screen resolution for Car Play on the PCM really, really bad?

I got Waze running on the main screen, but the low resolution makes it much less useful than just having my iPhone running Waze in the vent mount.

The experiment lasted one drive, then goodbye Car Play. Maybe the interface will get better over time?
Old 09-26-2018, 07:22 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleDare
Is it just me or. . . is the screen resolution for Car Play on the PCM really, really bad?
Yes, since the pixel resolution of the PCM display is only 800x480. There's only so much Car Play and Waze can do with that.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:04 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts

https://apple.news/Agl0edmKpR_uJGeDRf1Qj3A

I think it's a great improvement from PCM baseline
Old 09-28-2018, 04:09 PM
dribar
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Yes, since the pixel resolution of the PCM display is only 800x480. There's only so much Car Play and Waze can do with that.
I’ve noticed that google maps with earth turned on looks amazing... way better than Waze, but man it’s nice to have waze running on the pcm.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:08 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by dribar
I’ve noticed that google maps with earth turned on looks amazing... way better than Waze, but man it’s nice to have waze running on the pcm.
They work at the same time at least. I leave google maps open w/ satellite and the Waze still gives alerts on top of it.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:09 AM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaws1
On you phone go settings > general > carplay > Porsche and it will show you the carplay screen in your car. Yes, AFAIK carplay compatible apps will automatically be available, and you can choose whether or not to use them through the carplay settings on your phone.
Thank you for the explanation. I updated to iOS 12 yesterday and already had Waze. It was on the display today and worked seamlessly. Not sure how or why the MLB app was also on the display, but I was able to get it off of the screen using my phone.
Old 09-29-2018, 08:56 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

So it looks like I need to ditch my android phone for an iphone....
Old 09-29-2018, 06:03 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

My verdict on the latest version of Waze for CarPlay... Sucks. Really disappointed.

My biggest issue is that unlike google maps, there seems to be NO WAY to keep the Waze map running on the phone itself when plugged in to a Carplay system. It will ONLY display turn-by-turn directions or the search screen on the phone. Deleting the app off the carplay system doesn't allow you to revert to map display on the phone only, it just reinstalls itself first time you launch it and kills the display on the phone again.

So now if I want to plug my phone in for carplay music, I have no choice but to only see the Waze map on the low resolution head unit screen with far less detail and little traffic/cop information than what is (was) displayed on the phone. Now I have to play music through bluetooth and run a separate, non-carplay charging cable to my phone to see the things that Waze is so important for, detailed traffic info and cops.

Boo. Sucks. Hope they fix it!

Note, i'm running waze on a Sony carplay unit, not the OEM Porsche head unit. Perhaps it's a bit better on the Porsche version???

Last edited by pfbz; 09-29-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:06 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Yup - Waze is not that great. Google maps is marginally better.

My plan is run to Waze in the background and use PCM since I like its look and feel and speed.

My favorite feature - is it always tells yous the right speed limit.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:12 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,463 Posts

I run Waze virtually 100% of the time in the car for traffic and enforcement information, not for turn-by-turn directions, and it's pretty much useless in the carplay iteration for that purpose.

I'm just a bit annoyed that now that they have integrated it into carplay, they have made it seemingly impossible to run in non-carplay mode if plugged in to a carplay deck.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:32 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
I run Waze virtually 100% of the time in the car for traffic and enforcement information, not for turn-by-turn directions, and it's pretty much useless in the carplay iteration for that purpose.

I'm just a bit annoyed that now that they have integrated it into carplay, they have made it seemingly impossible to run in non-carplay mode if plugged in to a carplay deck.

What exactly (your phone or waze) do you want to run in non-carplay mode?
Old 09-29-2018, 09:55 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 377 Likes on 220 Posts

Google Maps and Waze CarPlay review:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/28/1...-ios-12-review
Old 09-30-2018, 01:17 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I seem to be the only on that is ecstatic about the integration of Waze, Google Maps into Carplay. I'm also a Tidal user (which is also integrated) and now, I can finally stash my phone in my armrest and control everything I need from the headunit. I also listen to HD FM stations. Weird that when listening to the tuner (outside of carplay) the radio mutes when I attempt to Shazam a song. In order for that to work, I have to disconnect the phone.
Old 09-30-2018, 01:29 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by mreloc
I seem to be the only on that is ecstatic about the integration of Waze, Google Maps into Carplay. I'm also a Tidal user (which is also integrated) and now, I can finally stash my phone in my armrest and control everything I need from the headunit. I also listen to HD FM stations. Weird that when listening to the tuner (outside of carplay) the radio mutes when I attempt to Shazam a song. In order for that to work, I have to disconnect the phone.
I am psyched about the integration. The beauty of these apps is that they can be updated, modified and improved. This is only the first iteration.

Quick Reply: Apple Car Play to Support Waze on Sept 18th