New GTS Owner S Fla-PPF/Ceramic Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 10:04 PM
Section101etseq
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New GTS Owner S Fla-PPF/Ceramic Recommendations

Hi All:

For some time now have been on the chase for a 991.2. Happy to say the search is over! This weekend I picked up an 18GTS in Carrera White with Black Leather/Alcantara, PDK, Bose, Sunroof, 18 Way Adaptive Seats, some other minor goodies-all in all, a great build. I plan to post some pics in a few days but had some initial questions for recommendations on some preliminaries.

Question 1: I’m having PPF done on the front quarter at the dealer, I’ve read others here recommending behind the rear wheels as well. Is PPF behind the rear wheels advisable (anything else I should do)?

Question 2: I’d like to put a ceramic coating on the paint for protection and ease of maintenance, any recommendations for a Boca Raton or Pompano area shop for this? Similarly, any recommendations for protecting the wheels? I saw something on here about Modesta (but am not familiar with the product).

Lastly, I found this website and its member’s comments to be an incredibly useful resource in connection with picking up one of these cars (big THANK YOU). It’s my first 911 and have been lusting over this car for a while now, I’ve been fortunate to have some great sports cars, but I can say with confidence that the 911 really is the whole package. Thanks for your comments/suggestions.

Eric

Last edited by Section101etseq; 09-03-2018 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 09-03-2018, 10:44 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

That is a nice build!
I just had my new C2S done in "full frontal" PPF plus all around the windshield, full rockers including over the sills to prevent shoe scrapes, fore and aft of rear wheels, mirrors, door edges and door handle cups. Cost $1920, using Suntek PPF. An independent installer came to my garage and did a great job. The finish on the Suntek PPF is amazing. Hard with a high luster and low surface tension, so water beads up and runs off. It's much better than the 3.5 year old Expell PPF on my 911 trade in. It looks just like the remaining Black painted areas.
We are about to do our seasonal migration back to Central FL from Chicagoland, and shipping my Porsche. . I'm planning to do my own ceramic coating job when i get there. I have assembled everything needed. I'm a retired engineer with spare time, so i can do this...
Old 09-03-2018, 11:50 PM
lhouck12
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Congrats!

Congrats on the new GTS!
the only detailer I trust is Robert DiTerzzi at impression fine detailing. He is in Stuart right next to autogeek distribution warehouse. That would be an hour drive for you so I’m sure you can find someone closer and maybe just as good but not better. Awesome service. He did the ceramic coating on my Macan and detailed / corrected my Silverado. I did ceramic myself on my GTS. Search impression fine automotive on face facebook. Here is number *(772) 260-6636‬

As as far as what to do next. That is a rabbit hole. There is always something performance wise and style wise. However I would recommend getting a front grill. GTS without active flaps has large opening feeding debris into the ddradiators. There are a few suppliers. I went with https://www.zunsport.com/us/ as installation is easiest. Your detailer of choice could install as well.

Last edited by lhouck12; 09-04-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:06 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

http://www.autosupershield.com

These folks are considered the best in Palm Beach. Owners name is Pepe.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:07 AM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by points

agreed did my GTS.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:17 AM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by points

Wrong Answer. The OP asked about a detail shop for ceramic coating. Autosupershield is the best in South Florida for PPF and Vinyl Wraps. They DO NOT DO DETAILING!
Old 09-04-2018, 02:17 PM
Section101etseq
AutoX

Thanks for the comments guys and some great looking P-cars I see. So really a couple of follow ups: 1) any other body areas that should have PPF (I'd love to do the whole thing, but think it might be overkill); 2) any other suggestions for ceramic coating and are the wheels typically done in ceramic coating as well (I have the GTS wheels)? I'm checking into the recommendations above now.

THANKS!

Eric
Old 09-04-2018, 02:21 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by lhouck12

Congrats on the new GTS!
the only detailer I trust is Robert DiTerzzi at impression fine detailing. He is in Stuart right next to autogeek distribution warehouse. That would be an hour drive for you so I’m sure you can find someone closer and maybe just as good but not better. Awesome service. He did the ceramic coating on my Macan and detailed / corrected my Silverado. I did ceramic myself on my GTS. Search impression fine automotive on face facebook. Here is number *(772) 260-6636‬

As as far as what to do next. That is a rabbit hole. There is always something performance wise and style wise. However I would recommend getting a front grill. GTS without active flaps has large opening feeding debris into the ddradiators. There are a few suppliers. I went with https://www.zunsport.com/us/ as installation is easiest. Your detailer of choice could install as well.
Beautiful GTS! What year? PDK?
Old 09-04-2018, 02:53 PM
lhouck12
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Section101etseq
Thanks for the comments guys and some great looking P-cars I see. So really a couple of follow ups: 1) any other body areas that should have PPF (I'd love to do the whole thing, but think it might be overkill); 2) any other suggestions for ceramic coating and are the wheels typically done in ceramic coating as well (I have the GTS wheels)? I'm checking into the recommendations above now.

THANKS!

Eric
Personally think you are good on PPF. Anymore and just do whole car.

What ever detailer you use of you don’t do it yourself the detailer will probably have their preference on ceramic coatngs. I used CarPro Cquartz and had good experience. Blackfire new one out suppose to be great and there are many more.

I initially did my wheels with cquartz as well as well but I think aggressive wheel cleaners remove it quickly. I use Sonax full effect and Griots wheel cleaner. Then I also tried McKees wheel coating. Now I just clean my wheels without worry about removing the coating and spray Car Pro Hydro lite sealant on wheels at each wash. Seems to be best combination of effort and effect

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Beautiful GTS! What year? PDK?
Thanks. 2018 and it Has all 3 pedals!

Last edited by lhouck12; 09-04-2018 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-04-2018, 02:55 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

Congrats on the new GTS!

What ever detailer you use of you don’t do it yourself the detailer will probably have their preference. I used CarPro Cquartz and had good experience. Blackfire new one out suppose to be great and there are many more.

I initially did my wheels with cquartz as well as well but I think aggressive wheel cleaners remove it quickly. I use Sonax full effect and Griots wheel cleaner. Then I also tried McKees wheel coating. Now I just clean my wheels without worry about removing the coating and spray Car Pro Hydro lite sealant on wheels at each wash. Seems to be best combination of effort and effect

Thanks. 2018 and it Has all 3 pedals!
Im so jealous, I have a 3 pedal 17 but wanted that blue. If you ever sell please let me know
Old 09-04-2018, 02:59 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

A previous poster indicates you need a good detailer...I use A Showroom Finish in Boca...Dee is the owners name...309 3301
Old 09-04-2018, 03:25 PM
lhouck12
Intermediate

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Im so jealous, I have a 3 pedal 17 but wanted that blue. If you ever sell please let me know
will do but I hope don’t have sell anytime soon but wife mentioned wanting anothe baby last week. If that happens the car might have to go next year. For 2019 the sapphire blue or any royal looking blue is not an option on any 2 door Porsche models! Glad I got a 2018.

car has been favorite car so far. Sold a 2017 ZL1 to get this and it was great car as well with 200 more hp but the GTS is more fluid feeling with the loss of 600+ lbs.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:22 PM
trucheli
Pro

As a GTS owner and having put Suntek PPF on my car I would recommend to do the following:

First, I wouldn’t let the dealer put PPF on my car. I would go to the best reputable place with a proven record working on high end cars and supercars. I would go to Autosupershield in Boca. They are the best in the PPF business.

I would do the whole front of the car and mirror caps. Also the rockers, rear bottom fenders and I would replace the stone guards with the bigger ones and I double up if possible since they take a lot of beating.

No need to do the whole car. After three years of ownership my PPF has done its job and the rest of the car with paint parts exposed is in pristine condition.

I don´t believe in ceramic coatings because I do my own polishing and detailing. Besides, PPF doesn’t need it either. After washing I use a clear detail spray specifically for PPF and sometimes I use XPel Sealer.

As as far as the CL wheels I wash them regularly, I don´t put any coating or sealers. They look perfect because I spend at least one hour washing my wheels with regular carwash shampoo and different brushes. You will see some discoloration on the Center Locks over time but I use Adam´s In & Out Spray to bring back the color after each wash.

Again, this is my real life opinion based on more than 10 years polishing and detailing my own and some friends cars. I don´t buy into the hype of coatings.

Last edited by trucheli; 09-05-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:10 AM
Section101etseq
AutoX

Originally Posted by trucheli
As a GTS owner and having put Suntek PPF on my car I would recommend to do the following:

First, I wouldn’t let the dealer put PPF on my car. I would go to the best reputable place with a proven record working on high end cars and supercars. I would go to Autosupershield in Boca. They are the best in the PPF business.

I would do the whole front on the car and mirror caps. Also the rockers, rear bottom fenders and I would replace the stone guards with the bigger ones and I double up if possible since they take a lot of beating.

No need to do the whole car. After three years of ownership my PPF has done its job and the rest of the car with paint parts exposed is in pristine condition.

I don´t believe in ceramic coatings because I do my own polishing and detailing. Besides, PPF doesn’t need it either. After washing I use a clear detail spray specifically for PPF and sometimes I use XPel Sealer.

As as far as the CL wheels I wash them regularly, I don´t put any coating or sealers. They look perfect because I spend at least one hour washing my wheels with regular carwash shampoo and different brushes. You will see some discoloration on the Center Locks over time but I use Adam´s In & Out Spray to bring back the color after each wash.

Again, this is my real life opinion based on more than 10 years polishing and detailing my own and some friends cars. I don´t buy into the hype of coatings.

Appreciate the responses! Coming out of an incredibly babied 14 Corvette that I have always done my own washing, polishing and care on and a lot of cars before that, I’m a big fan of the Adam’s amd Sonnax products and have no issue doing my own paint correction. In the last year I got more into using sealents rather than wax. Florida sun is crazy hard the paint which drives me to think a coating can’t hurt. On the dealer part I was told they’ll bring in their outside guy so I’m going to find out more tomorrow, will post. Thanks all!

Old 09-05-2018, 02:06 PM
trucheli
Pro

Originally Posted by Section101etseq

Appreciate the responses! Coming out of an incredibly babied 14 Corvette that I have always done my own washing, polishing and care on and a lot of cars before that, I’m a big fan of the Adam’s amd Sonnax products and have no issue doing my own paint correction. In the last year I got more into using sealents rather than wax. Florida sun is crazy hard the paint which drives me to think a coating can’t hurt. On the dealer part I was told they’ll bring in their outside guy so I’m going to find out more tomorrow, will post. Thanks all!

Save your money! The PPF job that I have described will run you around $2200 and you will have the support of a reputable place, as oppose of some guy that today works for the dealer and tomorrow is no where to be found. If you know how to polish and have the right tools for the job you can prep your car before PPF. Then you have two doors and the engine bay and rear bumper to seal with your Polymer Sealer of choice. I just save you $3800.

Quick Reply: New GTS Owner S Fla-PPF/Ceramic Recommendations