Sponsored by:

Wheel Lock Master Key Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 06:11 PM
bmw2porsche
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wheel Lock Master Key Replacement

Just tried replacing the tires on my 2014 991 C2S at a tire center nearby. The guy said he could not get the wheels off as the master key for the wheel lock is broken (picture attached). He said the master key probably costs less than $50 and I could get one from a Porsche service center. I went to one and asked them for a replacement master key for the specific serial number one I had. They quoted me $260! I am used to Porsche pricing by now, but this surprises me. Even my service advisor at the porsche dealership is surprised by this. He thought ti will be around $25

Do I have any options here?

Thanks

Old 08-26-2018, 06:16 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Call Sunset Porsche or Suncoast Porsche.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:32 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

Use a set of sockets, hammer, and breaker bar

Old 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Tire guy is right. I just went through this..... I went to the service guy and he had 24 master keys and tried one by one till he got the right one. I think it cost less than $50. Bring your car registration and/or proof of ownership. Go to a different dealership or go at a different time....I would talk to the manager and file a complaint with Porsche...threat them with bad reviews. Sunset was not able to help me....

Abe
Old 08-26-2018, 08:10 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

I just bought one from my dealer in Denver. It cost $23.65 plus tax.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:30 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Use a set of sockets, hammer, and breaker bar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6-frJjNhqk
Interesting info to know..but kinda scary too! Too easy to get those wheels locks off. Thieves everywhere must be looking and drooling!

Old 08-26-2018, 10:40 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Just ask Porsche to remove the locking bolt and replace with regular.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:25 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

You have 5mm spacers from the factory, correct? I went through the same thing when I wanted to put normal bolts on my car since I swap winter/summer setups, and go to the track.

My key was slightly damaged so I called Suncoast, and a few local dealers to buy a new one. They all initially said it would be easy, and inexpensive, to order a new one or dealers said they could use their master set to pull the lugs. Every single time I was put on hold after giving my VIN, and then the confused person would say, "Um, your key is VIN specific, expensive, and needs to be ordered..." For some reason Porsche decided to use flimsy, two-piece, VIN-specific keys for cars with 5mm spacers

I eventually stopped at the dealer because my heat went out (COV) and showed the service manager my key, which looked about the same as yours in terms of damage. He guaranteed that they could get the lugs off, so I gladly paid ~$60 to get them off versus potentially spending $300 if I completely stripped my key. They successfully removed mine, so stop at a dealer before buying a new key, and then put regular lug bolts in their place!
Old 08-27-2018, 02:19 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
You have 5mm spacers from the factory, correct? I went through the same thing when I wanted to put normal bolts on my car since I swap winter/summer setups, and go to the track.

My key was slightly damaged so I called Suncoast, and a few local dealers to buy a new one. They all initially said it would be easy, and inexpensive, to order a new one or dealers said they could use their master set to pull the lugs. Every single time I was put on hold after giving my VIN, and then the confused person would say, "Um, your key is VIN specific, expensive, and needs to be ordered..." For some reason Porsche decided to use flimsy, two-piece, VIN-specific keys for cars with 5mm spacers

I eventually stopped at the dealer because my heat went out (COV) and showed the service manager my key, which looked about the same as yours in terms of damage. He guaranteed that they could get the lugs off, so I gladly paid ~$60 to get them off versus potentially spending $300 if I completely stripped my key. They successfully removed mine, so stop at a dealer before buying a new key, and then put regular lug bolts in their place!
This. I would not pay exorbitant money for a new key. If they want your wheels, they are gonna get them whether you have wheel locks of not. Wheel locks give you a false sense of security. (And if Porsche wheel lock, an expensive false sense).

Quick Reply: Wheel Lock Master Key Replacement