Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MMC quoted me $2860 to replace 4 tires.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 07:31 PM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My local Porsche dealer will just order it at tire rack prices from tire rack . You pick what you want off the web site and they order it at that price, you buy from the dealer . No delivery charge either.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:27 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by blurum
My local Porsche dealer will just order it at tire rack prices from tire rack . You pick what you want off the web site and they order it at that price, you buy from the dealer . No delivery charge either.

My dealer said the same to me, caveat is though, that the dealer (or at least mine) would not provide the 2 year free replacement that Tire Rack does. I went with Tire Rack. .
Old 08-26-2018, 08:36 PM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
My dealer said the same to me, caveat is though, that the dealer (or at least mine) would not provide the 2 year free replacement that Tire Rack does. I went with Tire Rack. .
oh good to know . Will check with my deale otherwise tire rack direct makes more sense.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:29 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

They are charging you over $600 for alignment due to worn tires you say you don’t need. Great dealer. Keep them on speed dial.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:49 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

A decent track alignment and 4 sport cup 2's would be that much around here no matter where you go.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:50 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
They are charging you over $600 for alignment due to worn tires you say you don’t need. Great dealer. Keep them on speed dial.
I'll take pics of the tires when I get the car back so you can see.

I've switched out 3 of the 4 in the last 12 months. There's zero chance any of them are down to unsafe tread, let alone all. It's simply not possible.

The $600 alignment has to be a totally invented price. I've had 4 S Classes before this Porsche. Never once did I pay anywhere remotely close (even at the dealer)
Old 08-26-2018, 10:07 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

$650 alignment?!? Do they lay me on the rack and align me too?
Similar option at the Benz dealer?

Old 08-26-2018, 11:58 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Please don't let my Indy alignment shop see those prices. I just had my shop do a 4 wheel align on my CGTS and it was $69.00 plus tax. He does it whiIe I watch and it takes over an hour to get it exact. I do tip him well though.

Peter
Old 08-27-2018, 12:52 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

As far as tires. Get a tire depth gage and measure for yourself. If they are worn then the cost is another matter.

There is frankly a scam going on related to alignments at dealers. I brought my 981 in for its first oil change when it was 1 year old to a NJ dealer. Probably 5k miles or less on the car. No other issues whatsoever. Never banged a wheel.

They pull the car into a bay during check in and throw plastic alignment gages that strap onto the wheels with no other chassis prep. They claim the alignment is “way off”. (Turns out they have been doing this to everyone)

1) The car was practically new and fine. If there was an issue, it is a warranty issue.

2) Their methods of checking the alignment were flawed.

After some arguments I skipped the alignment, took the car home and put it on my turn plates and set up my alignment rig. Everything was within factory spec.

I don’t know how these places sleep at night.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:55 AM
dchang81
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 28 Posts

Reminds me of a shop trying to charge me several hundred bucks to put on my winter wheel setup. The best is when they told me there was wheel shimmy. They changed their price when I told them it doesn't do that until you go almost 90mph.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:11 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by ClassJ
As far as tires. Get a tire depth gage and measure for yourself. If they are worn then the cost is another matter.

There is frankly a scam going on related to alignments at dealers. I brought my 981 in for its first oil change when it was 1 year old to a NJ dealer. Probably 5k miles or less on the car. No other issues whatsoever. Never banged a wheel.

They pull the car into a bay during check in and throw plastic alignment gages that strap onto the wheels with no other chassis prep. They claim the alignment is “way off”. (Turns out they have been doing this to everyone)

1) The car was practically new and fine. If there was an issue, it is a warranty issue.

2) Their methods of checking the alignment were flawed.

After some arguments I skipped the alignment, took the car home and put it on my turn plates and set up my alignment rig. Everything was within factory spec.

I don’t know how these places sleep at night.
Very comfortably knowing end of year bonuses will reflect this type of unethical behavior.
My indi shop is about half a mile from our office in Brooklyn. Whenever I pop a tire on our fantastic roads or get a slow leak - I head over there. At the same time they change the one tire - the owner checks the other three.

As it goes - the owner of this indi shop is close friends with another car repair and body shop in Brooklyn who has been our tax client for almost 40 years. That's how we got to know them several years ago - with a very nice referral.

The last tire changed was just a few months ago when a slow leak was evident. Prior to that - had several slow leaks and popped tires - so I became a regular at his shop. I'm sure the insurance company regrets selling me the policy.

I texted him over the weekend - telling him that the dealer said all 4 of my tires were below spec and not up to Porsche standards. Needless to say - he advised me to give a firm NO to their work order.

The other drawback here is that I don't have a loaner car. They told me we have to give them 2 weeks notice to get one. I asked what happens when an emergency (like my overheating / bad water pump situation) occurs - they had no answer. Would appear they give loaners only for routine maintenance issues that can wait the 2 weeks for an appointment. Two weeks notice for a loaner is pretty outrageous.

My only alternative is a Ray Catena - but they don't give loaners unless you got the car from them. (This one came from Porsche Warrington Pa).

Owning a Porsche isn't as convenient as I thought it would be.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:27 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Just saw something else that raises eyebrowes - They know why my car was towed in. Yet - they sent me the inspection report showing what needs attention - and GREENLIT my engine coolant area - just noting I need to refill my coolant.
Privately in email told me i need a new water pump. I have a very unsettled sensation in my stomach about this.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:32 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
Very comfortably knowing end of year bonuses will reflect this type of unethical behavior.
My indi shop is about half a mile from our office in Brooklyn. Whenever I pop a tire on our fantastic roads or get a slow leak - I head over there. At the same time they change the one tire - the owner checks the other three.

As it goes - the owner of this indi shop is close friends with another car repair and body shop in Brooklyn who has been our tax client for almost 40 years. That's how we got to know them several years ago - with a very nice referral.

The last tire changed was just a few months ago when a slow leak was evident. Prior to that - had several slow leaks and popped tires - so I became a regular at his shop. I'm sure the insurance company regrets selling me the policy.

I texted him over the weekend - telling him that the dealer said all 4 of my tires were below spec and not up to Porsche standards. Needless to say - he advised me to give a firm NO to their work order.

The other drawback here is that I don't have a loaner car. They told me we have to give them 2 weeks notice to get one. I asked what happens when an emergency (like my overheating / bad water pump situation) occurs - they had no answer. Would appear they give loaners only for routine maintenance issues that can wait the 2 weeks for an appointment. Two weeks notice for a loaner is pretty outrageous.

My only alternative is a Ray Catena - but they don't give loaners unless you got the car from them. (This one came from Porsche Warrington Pa).

Owning a Porsche isn't as convenient as I thought it would be.
No loaners unless you bought from them? Wow. I used to get loaners all the time over the past four years from my servicing Porsche dealer when I brought in 991s that I bought elsewhere. I bought my current 991GTS from them new this year so good customer service helped them get a sale, too.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:35 AM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Originally Posted by Hurricane
No loaners unless you bought from them? Wow. I used to get loaners all the time over the past four years from my servicing Porsche dealer when I brought in 991s that I bought elsewhere. I bought my current 991GTS from them new this year so good customer service helped them get a sale, too.
We bought a big Range Rover from them in 2015 and they extend a loaner for that (albeit I swear to god - I called 3 weeks ago because our side deployable entry steps work intermittently and my appt along with a loaner is the middle of September....a 6 week out appt.... but at least I get a loaner).

I tried to get my 4S from them - but they wouldn't budge on the price - and they were going on and on about allotment - all the while I had one ready to go at Porsche Warrington. Not sure if they were hyping the allotment to get me to stop negotiation for a lower price. But they lost the transaction.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:44 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradley Scott
We bought a big Range Rover from them in 2015 and they extend a loaner for that (albeit I swear to god - I called 3 weeks ago because our side deployable entry steps work intermittently and my appt along with a loaner is the middle of September....a 6 week out appt.... but at least I get a loaner).

I tried to get my 4S from them - but they wouldn't budge on the price - and they were going on and on about allotment - all the while I had one ready to go at Porsche Warrington. Not sure if they were hyping the allotment to get me to stop negotiation for a lower price. But they lost the transaction.
My local place gave me new Boxsters, Panameras, and Cayennes as loaners for my 991S (that I bought from CARMAX of all places LOL, 2nd 991S was bought CPO from a dealer 4 states over) when it was in for service. When I finally decided to pull the trigger on a new 991.2GTS, I had quotes from two major dealerships in the area. They were competitive and gave me a discount I was pretty happy with so they got my business. I had also been pleased with the service over the previous four years, which helped push me in their direction.

Quick Reply: MMC quoted me $2860 to replace 4 tires.