Sponsored by:

Happy 1 yr Anniversary and oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 07:21 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Happy 1 yr Anniversary and oil change

Yep, how fast the past year has gone, drove it home exactly 1 year ago today, just love my 911. Well today was celebrated with a short drive and then her first oil change. Still up on ramps as my new filter and 0-ring are still out for delivery today, UPS must be running a little behind today,No worries just letting it drain and taking a break So surprised how easy this has been, I guess I shouldn’t speak until I put it all back together, lol.

So from what I read here I should put 8 quarts in, take it off the ramps and check oil level again right?
Also a couple guys on her said torque the filter cap to 26NM, the cap has 25NM on it, I know it’s just a pound so assume I should torque to 25.

thanks, will update later.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:23 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Nice work. FYI. Your first oil change is f r e e from Porsche on your MY.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:29 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Mine is MY 2017, was told 2018 for free oil change. Either way I did it primarily to prevent issues like scuffs etc, worth it not to have anyone touch it but me. I would not have taken it in regardless if it was free, paint correction cost more that $90 for oil and filter kit.

mileage is 2,378.

Last edited by titan7; 08-22-2018 at 01:55 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:32 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotta love a tight Socal garage! I get two cars in mine as well. Hope you have those bikes bungied and secured- more and more earthquake activity on our side of the world has me a bit nervous!

Old 08-21-2018, 09:07 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by mreloc
Gotta love a tight Socal garage! I get two cars in mine as well. Hope you have those bikes bungied and secured- more and more earthquake activity on our side of the world has me a bit nervous!

No worries - they are over the Beemer, not the Porsche
Old 08-21-2018, 10:00 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts

lol, my wife would not like to have any marks on her M4, so I have everything strapped down, even have custom netting installed on the shelves and locks on all cabinet doors, I have lived in SoCa my entire life, way too familiar with earthquake damage.

And yes damn tight garage, so wish I had a 3 car garage.

Just buttoned everything back up, I put in 8 quarts of Mobil 1 0-40. I also measured what was drained, 9 quarts and 10-15oz, need to measure to be exact.

gonna have a cold one before I fire her up and back off the ramps.

all went smooth, was surprised that the drain plug just sort of turns and locks in place, you can’t over torque it, oh well if Porsche is happy with it so am I.

my wife said are you sure everything good to go? I told her of course, but the worst case is and I toast a $40k motor when I fire her up, okay yeah, not funny.

Last edited by titan7; 08-22-2018 at 12:43 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:22 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by titan7

Yep, how fast the past year has gone, drove it home exactly 1 year ago today, just love my 911. Well today was celebrated with a short drive and then her first oil change. Still up on ramps as my new filter and 0-ring are still out for delivery today, UPS must be running a little behind today,No worries just letting it drain and taking a break So surprised how easy this has been, I guess I shouldn’t speak until I put it all back together, lol.

So from what I read here I should put 8 quarts in, take it off the ramps and check oil level again right?
Also a couple guys on her said torque the filter cap to 26NM, the cap has 25NM on it, I know it’s just a pound so assume I should torque to 25.

thanks, will update later.
Since you've raised the question of the specified torque, I've been wondering- does the torque you exert depend on the length of your extender? The torque exerted by a torque wrench is that measured at its end, but if you use an extender (which i need to access the cap), intuitively I would think the torque @ the cap would be less ( or maybe I'm "mis-remembering" my HS physics). Sort of like turning a door **** with your hand close to your body vs stretching out your arm. Or maybe the different is not significant. Or maybe I have too much time on my hands.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:29 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Originally Posted by kuma1416
Since you've raised the question of the specified torque, I've been wondering- does the torque you exert depend on the length of your extender? The torque exerted by a torque wrench is that measured at its end, but if you use an extender (which i need to access the cap), intuitively I would think the torque @ the cap would be less ( or maybe I'm "mis-remembering" my HS physics). Sort of like turning a door **** with your hand close to your body vs stretching out your arm. Or maybe the different is not significant. Or maybe I have too much time on my hands.
oh no you had to go there, lol.

I used a 9”extension, no other way to get in there with a torque wrench, I did however take a photo of the orientation of the filter cap before I started, there is also some raised text on the cap, you can use for a timing reference, the before and after are almost identical, the after is just slightly more clockwise, perhaps a degree or two. I have a CDI NM torque wrench (Snap-on), it’s very accurate per the cert, and it’s brand new. I went to 25NM as specified by Porsche.

edit, just looked it up, the extensions do not change the torque setting.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:21 PM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by titan7

oh no you had to go there, lol.

I used a 9”extension, no other way to get in there with a torque wrench, I did however take a photo of the orientation of the filter cap before I started, there is also some raised text on the cap, you can use for a timing reference, the before and after are almost identical, the after is just slightly more clockwise, perhaps a degree or two. I have a CDI NM torque wrench (Snap-on), it’s very accurate per the cert, and it’s brand new. I went to 25NM as specified by Porsche.

edit, just looked it up, the extensions do not change the torque setting.

Ah good to know! Now I can sleep well tonight.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:26 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Nice work. FYI. Your first oil change is f r e e from Porsche on your MY.
Only on 2018 and beyond (so far).
Old 08-21-2018, 11:32 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Good work...easy peasy! I've done my 2017 and it took 8.5. On my buddies 2017 (we just did it) I did like you and measured what came out at 9qrt and yup that much went back in. Did Blackstone for him to. Nice not to worry about someone else scratching your baby. Enjoy in good health!
Old 08-22-2018, 12:07 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Did my Carrera T this weekend too. Drained 9.125 quarts of 230 degree Mobil 1 and filled 9.0 quarts of Motul 8100 0w40 - drain time was 1.5 hrs and car was up on the rears only. Torqued the filter to 25NM. 1997 miles on the factory fill, sent the 1st sample to Blackstone for baseline.

Easiest 911 Oil Change I've ever done. But then again, it was my first water-cooled oil change :-) Nothing like an easy to reach filter, and only one of them!

cheers!
Old 08-22-2018, 12:20 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Nice work!

And tight 2-car garage beats no garage!

As for extensions on torque wrenches, unless they are soft and noodly, they make no difference, especially at low torque values live 25 Nm.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:54 AM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Nice work!

And tight 2-car garage beats no garage!

As for extensions on torque wrenches, unless they are soft and noodly, they make no difference, especially at low torque values live 25 Nm.
thanks for your post on oil changes, it was that post that motivated me to do it, it helped a lot.

So for others thinking about it, just do it, pretty easy. I did have to buy race ramps, metric torque wrench, and some other small things but I am still $150 ahead of the $450 charged at the dealer and i didn’t have to worry about issues at the dealer. Going forward oil changes will cost me about $80.00 plus I needed a metric torque wrench and the race ramp anyway.

So I used 3” ramps on the rear only, drained for about 2 hours. I initially put in 8 quarts, (rather add more than take it out). After start up I took a measurement after what seemed like forever, I was just above the minimum measurement, message said add 1.3 quarts. So I added one more quart (9 total), now I am little under the top max, measurement so I still need a little more.

I then measured what came out, its 9 quarts and about 10-15 ozs, going to measure exactly tomorrow. So it looks like the exact amount needs to go in that came out. This will help a lot next time, just did not want to overfill this time.

So what’s the purpose of sending your oil out for analysis?? What’s the cost, turn around, and how much do they need?

Thanks for all the advice.

Last edited by titan7; 08-22-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:23 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Cost is $28-$38 per sample depending on what you have them look at. If you get UOAs consistently over the life of the engine it can alert you to certain things going on that you may want to address (like timing chain issues in older cars) before they become more costly repairs (stuck or broken valves, valves impacting cylinders, etc). Its like blood tests though, you need to do them consistently to have value, because what you are on the lookout for is abnormal changes over time/mileage.

Lots of pilots I know don't fly recip- engines that don't have UOAs from breakin-onward. Don't want to be 10K over hostile terrain / water with an engine that needs a teardown. Cheap insurance.

Pull up LexVan's thread with UOAs to see what you're buying.

cheers!

Quick Reply: Happy 1 yr Anniversary and oil change