Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance upgrade vs. warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 02:23 PM
lagodue
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Performance upgrade vs. warranty?

I have a 2013 991.1 CS2 and am looking at 'more is better.' I have lined up the usual suspects:
  • Air Filter
  • Plenum
  • ECU reflash
  • Exhaust system
Does anyone have experience with Porsche and any warranty violations with these tweaks? My dealer offers this package and tells me no problem. How about done by an independent?
Has anyone done this and dynoed the results? According to the specs, the package above is supposed to yield 50 hp.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:28 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by lagodue
I have a 2013 991.1 CS2 and am looking at 'more is better.' I have lined up the usual suspects:
  • Air Filter
  • Plenum
  • ECU reflash
  • Exhaust system
Does anyone have experience with Porsche and any warranty violations with these tweaks? My dealer offers this package and tells me no problem. How about done by an independent?
Has anyone done this and dynoed the results? According to the specs, the package above is supposed to yield 50 hp.

headers , sport cats, and a tune are the biggest benefit.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:43 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

I preface with "In my opinion and experience". On a .1 NA car don't expect a huge hp boost. Just not going to happen with an NA car. I had a 991.1 4S that had the Kline Iconel Exhaust and the Cobb tune for NA cars. Im proved throttle response, some early gains in the power band you think you can feel but no 50hp that is really measurable. Tuning results are best achieved on turbo cars. You can get some improvement but not I think what you are expecting. I went to the TTS, now that is a difference.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:53 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by lagodue
  • Air Filter
  • Plenum
  • ECU reflash
  • Exhaust system
I am going to echo some of the other folks here. You might pickup a few horses on the top end, very little if any on the lower end, but given the cost to "feel faster" ratio, I would take that 3-4 grand and dump it into track days Now if you had a 991.2....completely difference conversation.

Last edited by Joec500; 08-16-2018 at 02:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-16-2018, 03:35 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

I've gone down this route. And have 2 comments.

1. If you want performance then look for headers instead of exhaust.

2. I did the full bolt on catalogue and saw right at 10% HP gain on a dyno. We're talking filters, plenum, headers and tune. I do have an exhaust but that did nothing to power - although the sound is fantastical. FVD has a compelling package for headers, filter and a tune. They are proven, reliable and very high quality. The biggest difference is the increased sharpness of the car. At ~4500 RPM, the cam opens and you can feel this as well as see a noticeable dip on a dyno. This dip is just about eliminated. If the 3.0tt guys can testify to "no lag" then we can call this dip completely gone

Headers - I went FVD but Cargraphic is another I've worked with. When you are looking at headers remember this: Longer tubes are for top end and shorter tubes are for low end; each at the sacrifice of the other. FVD is a good bet for low end. We're not talking about low end anything like the turbo cars here but the nuance is very noticeable when driving.

Tune - I've played with Cobb, Vivid Racing and FVD. FVD has the most conservative claims in their marketing propaganda but the best performance in terms of drivability and dyno results. FVD and Vivid use the same soft loader.... a very primitive device... Cobb's soft loader is MUCH nicer and worth mounting somewhere to get real time data and has some toys built in. There isn't a huge difference in the tune - my opinion is FVD is the best and factually it does produce the best gains. FVD is also the most user friendly for getting updates for adding different mods at later dates if you decide to not do it all at once.

I'm not stating this as gospel but just consider this as my findings and like anything you read on the internet - do your own diligence. There are plenty of other brands out there to look at and these are just some of the options I have personally played with.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:06 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 139 Posts

I have a plenum, BMC filters and GIAC tune might do headers at some point. Very happy with the results. As for warranty your 2013 only has one more year left at most.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:08 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think he's referring to warranty issues with the mods. Unless they can prove a mod caused a problem, they can't deny coverage. It's called the Magnuson Moss warranty act.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:25 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
I think he's referring to warranty issues with the mods. Unless they can prove a mod caused a problem, they can't deny coverage. It's called the Magnuson Moss warranty act.
Everyone quotes this, but do you really want to go fighting Porsche over a powertrain/transmission claim?

I just had my transmission replaced and they could have easily reasonably stated that ANY power modification could have caused premature failure and I would have been caught holding the $15,000 transmission replacements. Also the dealer does not make the final call on expensive repairs, anything major is run by Porsche and many times an actual PorscheNA inspector comes by the shop to review things.

This is actually a dead horse. To me...the gains on an N/A motor are not worth the warranty headaches and HP to dollar ratio just don't add up for me, especially when compared to FI applications.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:47 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

If something fails in the drivetrain due to mechanical stress and/or higher tenders or thermal stress that it was designed and tested for, on a car that has been modded, they will not honor the warranty and will have a strong legal leg to stand on.
The manual tranny was replaced in my 2015 C2S due to synchro failure, and it was covered under warranty. I saw the PCNA price for the tranny - it was $17,500 plus labor.
A crate engine for a 991.2 retails for $40,000 from Porsche. An engine failure would not be a nice problem to have. And modded late-model Porsches can be hard to sell.
So on my new 991.2, I'm going with the factory X51 Power Kit, dealer installed. That will make it more fun to drive, and also easier to sell or trade at a higher value.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:23 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Ditto to the last two posters. The MMWA does NOT put the burden on Porsche or any other manufacturer to prove your mod caused the issue, at least in practice. It will prevent them from denying warranty repair of the air conditioner due to mods to the wheels or something totally obviously unrelated, but anything reasonably related is effectively going to be blamed on the mod with success. More Google Fu is necessary if you want to know more, but in practice its effectiveness has been watered down and unless you're an attorney you can't afford to fight it anyway (paying $20k in fees to fight a $5k repair is pretty dumb).
Old 08-16-2018, 08:12 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 139 Posts

Question for the OP what are you going to do with your car when the warranty is over? Keep it one sell it?
Old 08-16-2018, 08:38 PM
garfunkle
Banned

These are the wrong questions.... Look, we all know the implications of warranty and the risk. We got it. Enough. It's like telling people cigarettes are bad - everyone knows.

Will you enjoy your car more with this? If you answered yes then DO IT.

Just like people say drive the hell out of them and be damned with a low mileage garage queen because ROI in smiles..... same thing. You know you want to do it and it looks like you even have a supportive dealer.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:41 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

You're never going to get a 50 HP bump with that. And the traditional math of 10 + 10 + 20 + 5 + 5 = 50 does not apply with mods like this.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:16 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by LexVan
You're never going to get a 50 HP bump with that. And the traditional math of 10 + 10 + 20 + 5 + 5 = 50 does not apply with mods like this.
We do know that there's 30bhp in there somewhere with the X51 kit.... Porsche states the majority of this being in the X51 plenum. Granted the X51 plenum is much more sophisticated than the IPD but add filter and headers with more efficient cats and another 10 is reasonable with the right tune. Either way you're close to 10K for 40bhp, lol. Yes, it's worth it Mine shows right at 10% gains peak and ~15% mid gains with my set up and it makes a difference in application. The other difference between my C2S with mods and a power kit car is that I have a lot stronger mid range.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:20 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Almost all the HP and TQ gains on a NA engine come at the top of the rev range. So, 50 HP gain is significant but you'll never feel it around town were you do most of your driving. If you spend a lot of time blasting around the canyons or on a race track you'll probably notice a difference.

I wouldn't worry about the warranty on a car that's four or five years old.

Quick Reply: Performance upgrade vs. warranty?