Sponsored by:

Putting 12" wheels on narrow body 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 12:30 AM
Marcelo Delgado
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting 12" wheels on narrow body 991.2

Looking to put 20x12 rear wheels on my 991.2 narrow body (20x11.5 stock). I want to achieve the look on this Turbo here, if you notice the back wheels are quite deep. The only way to get this deep look is by going with 12+ wide wheels:

ADV1 tell me this:

Our engineering team states that your car is too narrow to fit the deep rear forging.

Using the deep forging would require an ET of +57mm. That will put the tire extremely close to the fender and you will risk rubbing.

We can make them, but you will have to assume the risk.

We have made some 991.2 wheels that are close to this spec. However, these cars are lowered, which tucks the tire further away from the fender.

It is not difficult to lower a Porsche 991.2. We believe it may be possible.

If you fit a 20mm spacer to your car right now, you will see how far we have to go to fit our deep rear profile.

It was built for the Turbo and Turbo S, and they are 15mm wider in the rear.
Will lowering the car by 25-30mm tuck in the top of the wheels by 20mm so as to prevent rubbing? How can I calculate that?

Last edited by Marcelo Delgado; 08-14-2018 at 03:33 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:56 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 622 Likes on 433 Posts

You are never going to get that dished look because the hub face is further out relative to the fender on a narrow body car. If you want the tire closer to the fender lip, fit cup2 tires as they are wider even though they are the same 305 width.

Hopefully someone comes along and helps you with the 12in wide wheel fitment.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:09 AM
Marcelo Delgado
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never say never! Been looking into this. So they tell me they can do it, but It will get too close to the fender and can rub on a non-lowered car. I'm thinking I lower the car, which I was planning on, which will allow me to set the camber < -1.7 on the rear wheels to tuck in the top of the wheels enough to offset the amount that the wheels push out.

Thanks for the tip on the Cup2's, will probably go that route as well.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:52 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

I'd recommend talking to HRE as well. Their rep here on the forums is HRE_Jurrian... or just call and ask for Jurrian. He's quite familiar with acceptable fitments and offsets for our cars.

It's not clear to me if you are looking for a deep dish look, where the spokes tilt in towards the center, or just a nice wide and clearly visible barrel. On a narrow body a deep dishing of the spokes will be tough.

Here are some examples of the 11.5" inch forged P101 wheels I had on my prior C4S and while they are certainly proportioned differently than a narrow body and the dishing of the spokes will be notably different, you get really deep and nicely finished barrels on the wheels which has a really nice look.

The following 2 users liked this post by StormRune:
sudodan (08-07-2024), tourenwagen (02-09-2021)
Old 08-14-2018, 10:07 AM
BulldogR6
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 for Jurrian he is quick to reply as well.

Or Eric at Supreme Power, he knows all about the aggressive fitment and how to make it work.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:28 AM
dmourati
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I'd recommend talking to HRE as well.
That looks amazing. Thanks for sharing. I was imagining HRE for myself.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:56 AM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcelo Delgado
Looking to put 20x12 rear wheels on my 991.2 narrow body (20x11.5 stock). I want to achieve the look on this Turbo here, if you notice the back wheels are quite deep. The only way to get this deep look is by going with 12+ wide wheels:

ADV1 tell me this:

Will lowering the car by 25-30mm tuck in the top of the wheels by 20mm so as to prevent rubbing? How can I calculate that?
None of this make sense to me, but I'm not an expert. Seems some of the statements are the exact opposite of what you want. You can calculate where the wheel will sit. https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

The bigger the off set the further back the tire will sit. Spacers will bring it back out. Put in the current wheel size and offset, and the new wheel size and offset and see what it says. Then using spacers you can bring it further out.

Do you have rear wheel steering? need more room.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:25 PM
HRE_Jurrian
Former Vendor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

ADV1 tell me this:

Happy to come in and clarify, but honestly Evilfij below really hit the nail on the head. As he says, you will never going to get that dished look because the hub is further out relative to the fender on the narrowbody, whereas the Turbo is the opposite and can accept a much lower offset.

You're only thinking of the width which is the issue. Bigger widths by itself don't do anything for the conical profiles and how deep the wheel looks, the offset has more to do with that than anything else. The Narrowbody cars have much smaller fenders, and accepts a much higher offset compared to the Turbo. Factory offset on the Narrowbody is ET76 whereas the Turbo uses a ET52. The higher the offset, the more flat your wheel is going to be. The lower the offset, the more deep the wheel can be engineered to be.

If you absolutely must have that conical profile, that deep fitment there, I would either add fender flares or trade the car in for a Turbo. No way you're getting that deep profile with that low of an offset SAFELY (nor would it look good). Lowering the car helps, yes we have an adjusted offset which is calculated specifically for lowered cars, and a fitment specifically for OEM ride height, and even the lowered version is still a 11.5" width.

HRE does not recommend 12" wide on the rear of this car. Turbo's, yes, no biggie, but Narrowbody's using a 12" is a bit too much we feel. We recommend a 11.5" rear.

Originally Posted by evilfij
You are never going to get that dished look because the hub face is further out relative to the fender on a narrow body car. If you want the tire closer to the fender lip, fit cup2 tires as they are wider even though they are the same 305 width.

Hopefully someone comes along and helps you with the 12in wide wheel fitment.

Nail on the head.

Originally Posted by StormRune
I'd recommend talking to HRE as well. Their rep here on the forums is HRE_Jurrian... or just call and ask for Jurrian. He's quite familiar with acceptable fitments and offsets for our cars.

It's not clear to me if you are looking for a deep dish look, where the spokes tilt in towards the center, or just a nice wide and clearly visible barrel. On a narrow body a deep dishing of the spokes will be tough.

Here are some examples of the 11.5" inch forged P101 wheels I had on my prior C4S and while they are certainly proportioned differently than a narrow body and the dishing of the spokes will be notably different, you get really deep and nicely finished barrels on the wheels which has a really nice look.

Thank you! Looking good as usual I see

Old 08-14-2018, 02:49 PM
dj997
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Does anyone have any photos of a 21 inch wheel on a narrow body?
Old 08-14-2018, 04:58 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

When looking around at 991 wheels, stumbled across these 21s. Suspect the rears could be done for an NB car, though you'd lose some of the depth near the lugs.

Like them better in silver than the two-tone...and apologies in advance that I don't have the manufacturer's name handy. Iirc, when I found them, they were available in 20-inch sizing and there were some shots of them in an aluminum/clear finish on an NB C2 cab. Remember thinking it would have been better to see them in silver paint there, too. YMMV...

Old 08-14-2018, 07:26 PM
dj997
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Looks good! Thank you
Old 08-14-2018, 10:52 PM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 120 Posts

ADV1 tell me this:

Marcelo Delgado,

20x12 on a narrow body 991.2 is possible and looks great. I just did on a Carrera T. We did a lot of calculations/ back-and-forth on offsets and went with the OEM +76. The stock 20x11.5 +76 tucks in a tad, now with a 20x12 +76 the setup is damn near flush. It looks perfect. I will try to get pictures up soon.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:03 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 981 Likes on 490 Posts

991.2 Narrow Body below with 21"x9.5" // 21"x12.5". Only possible with fully adjustable coilovers (KW V3 in this case). More photos of our customer car at - http://wheelsboutique.com/gallery/po...ra-on-HRE-P200

Simply put: 12" wide is possible on this car. The amount of concavity + dish seen on that 991 Turbo we did is not possible on this car.

We're the largest dealer in the world for custom forged wheels, if you need proper guidance on the fitment for your car give us a holler - David@WheelsBoutique.com

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 10-26-2021, 09:00 PM
Camilian
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tay101
Marcelo Delgado,

20x12 on a narrow body 991.2 is possible and looks great. I just did on a Carrera T. We did a lot of calculations/ back-and-forth on offsets and went with the OEM +76. The stock 20x11.5 +76 tucks in a tad, now with a 20x12 +76 the setup is damn near flush. It looks perfect. I will try to get pictures up soon.
did you stick with 305 tire?
Old 10-26-2021, 09:59 PM
911CSC
Pro

Received 365 Likes on 188 Posts

20x12 BC Forged modular wheels on 991.2 narrow body

The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (10-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Putting 12" wheels on narrow body 991.2