Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Perforated seats - discolored perforations

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 11:11 PM
Alagar
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, I had this same issue on my perforated espresso natural seats. There were dark spots left in perforations which got hit with water droplets after reaching across the passenger seat to place a wet umbrella on the floor. There were also some streaks and marks on the drivers seat from me being slightly wet from said rains. After much searching online, the best suggestion I found that worked for me was to use a water spray bottle set to 'mist' and lightly saturate the seat and then gently wipe with a microfiber towel. It's been a while now, but I might also have dabbed at the holes with a detailing brush before wiping the seat off. That caused all of the perforations to turn the darker color and everything looks nice and even now.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:34 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Kind of nice to know this is a common challenge with the perforated seats. I'm inclined to try the Griots Interior detailer spray to at least even things out. Alcohol-based solutions make sense too since they would de-grease to some degree that might lighten those dark perforations, but then I think I'd be inclined to quickly condition again to make up for the stripping action of the alcohol, risking the same thing happening over again.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:45 PM
Alagar
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked and I had taken some before pictures, but no after pictures. I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow of how they look now.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:50 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackCS
Really simple fix, I had the same thing on my black sport plus seats, I took unscented hand sanitizer with alcohol, microfiber rag, liberally apply the hand sanitizer, spread it on the towel with you friend, and start rubbing that area. My seats had several of those "discoloration" area's, after the procedure, all gone. The problem is your conditioner dried up, and left an oily streak around the perforated area, and an alcohol based solution, although slightly harsh, will take care of the problem.
Interesting. Couldn't you also just dilute rubbing alcohol? I've used alcohol to strip finish from old seats and redye or SEM paint them.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:06 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Mreloc, my leather looks perfect. And looks nothing like your pictures.
Hey Lex, are you saying the Lexol product doesn't cause wet spots, or that it's your brush getting in to clean the holes... or? Inquiring minds are awaiting your secret.

Perhaps the color of your seats play into it?

Old 08-11-2018, 12:12 AM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Hey Lex, are you saying the Lexol product doesn't cause wet spots, or that it's your brush getting in to clean the holes... or? Inquiring minds are awaiting your secret.

Perhaps the color of your seats play into it?
Please and picture using a flash.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:40 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

The leatherique kit fixes it. You need to be very liberal with the oil and let it sit in heat for 1-2 days. Massage the oil deep into the seat using a towel during application and after clean up.

I think the discoloration is from the leather drying. The passenger seat gets it worse because it doesn't get as much use.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:05 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 431 Posts

This spotting does truly suck especially after a nice spirited drive when you and a passenger has butt sweat.

I like the ventilated seat option...... but if I was ordering a new car I'd leave that box unchecked.

The only way I lessened the blotchiness is to use what ever leather product and work it into the holes to get the entire surface saturated and then let dry...... it will dry to a pretty good uniform color and stay for a while...... then after a while the blotches will reappear.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:44 AM
TrackJunke
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

I tried some diluted alcohol and a soft bristle brush over the offending spots. Seemed to help quite a bit. Conditioned the leather right after. I think during the dealer prep they sprayed cleaner onto the seats v onto the towel causing these the spots. We will see if they return... I am thinking sport-tex seats or no perforations on the next car.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:53 AM
mreloc
Pro

Originally Posted by minthral
The leatherique kit fixes it. You need to be very liberal with the oil and let it sit in heat for 1-2 days. Massage the oil deep into the seat using a towel during application and after clean up.

I think the discoloration is from the leather drying. The passenger seat gets it worse because it doesn't get as much use.
When the car is new, the seats' perforations are light in color, as in raw leather on the inside of the holes. It's not dried out at that point. The leatherique technique is certainly a fine way to even things out, but it is not bringing it back to the "way it was when it was new". Practically speaking, though, I figure that getting the perforations conditioned and darkened is probably the way to go long term rather than continually fighting to get it back to the way it looked when it was new. I'm just not quite there, yet.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:03 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Oh you're saying it should be consistently lighter color everywhere? I suppose, but like you said its raw hide around the holes... not very realistic to prevent it from darkening from water and whatever else gets on it. I think adding conditioner to make it all darker is the way to go. It looks better IMO too.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:05 PM
Z00mie
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

Leather cleaner (I use Colourlock), soft bristle (boars hair) brush to get into the perforations, follow with moist warm towel to remove soil/ excess cleaner, blow out perforations with clean compressed air, done. It'll often even restore the French seams back to their original hue. I've removed espresso stains from Platinum leather perf this way. However, If this still isn't successful you then can use a steamer before the moist towel step. Follow up with compressed air...

Last edited by Z00mie; 08-13-2018 at 10:12 PM. Reason: I can't spell...
Old 08-12-2018, 11:11 PM
mreloc
Pro

Originally Posted by Z00mie
Leather cleaner (I use Colourlock), soft bristle (boars hair) brush to get into the perferations, follow with moist warm towel to remove soil/ excess cleaner, blow out perforations with clean compressed air, done. It'll often even restore the French seams back to their original hue. I've removed espresso stains from Platinum leather perf this way. However, If this still isn't successful you then can use a steamer before the moist towel step. Follow up with compressed air...
Very cool suggestion, thanks. Never encountered Colourlock before- but I see it's fairly pricey! Do you suggest the "Mild" or "Strong" version of the cleaner?
Old 08-13-2018, 10:29 AM
Z00mie
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

I usually purchase the strong. Definitely test for colorfastness beforehand (also, do not apply directly to the hide, apply to brush first). I've never had it mark/stain but I'd be crushed to find my suggestion harmed another's interior. One bottle will clean the interior leather quite a few times. The air compressor will evacuate any liquid/soiling left in the cut edges of the perf.
No connection with this company. I do think their stuff is effective and safe.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:53 PM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I was considering changing from leather to sport-tex for my next one. has anybody done this? I like the vented seats, but wondering if sport-tex gives you the outcome of not sweating in your seats. Maybe it's a tad more comfortable, too.

Quick Reply: Perforated seats - discolored perforations