991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With First Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2018 | 02:13 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

I just bought my 991.2 C2 in November last year - first Porsche. I looked at a C2S but talked myself out of it because it felt like a lot of power for me as a first time owner. I am totally happy with my current car (DD) but I would not be complaining if I had more power now. If it did it all over again, I would get a 2017 used GTS or failing that, an S. Even in 2017 there were good deals on used 991.2's. You don't need to use all the power but you can if you feel like it. I would often feel like it ;-). My thinking might be defined as mission creep; any one of them will put a huge smile on your face for a long time. I would sort out the features you feel you really need and then the ones you want but don't necessarily need. Those add-ons can be a deep, dark, expensive hole.
Old 08-23-2018 | 09:47 AM
Nm2far
Instructor

Originally Posted by evilfij
Frankly, any 991 you will probably like, but beware of mission creep. RL is full of people who started out with buying a new 911 and then end up in a GTS or GT or turbo or something a year later.

For that reason, I suggest a used/CPO so someone else took the initial hit. Or, you know, get a GT2RS now or that Carrera GT and cut out the middle man.
Part of the reason I went with the GTS - didn't want to be back a few years later wishing I had gotten a upgraded model - ~$12K in added value over adding same options to S, like the wider rear. No regrets about it being too much power like the tighter suspension and ride, which can be mitigated if too much by comfort tire pressures (only good to 165mph ), RWS is really slick for handling but more importantly makes for very tight turn radius in urban environments, FAL is also nice for same. Use it frequently and have had no scrapes even with the lower SPASM.Until the GT3 touring which is pretty hard to come by it is also the highest level 911 with MT. For all the critics of the 7 speed, its basically a 6 with an OD, no issues whatsoever with spacing or accidental wrong gears, for me anyways. Also for urban environs recommend the folding mirrors

Last edited by Nm2far; 08-23-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-03-2018 | 06:43 AM
dmourati
Intermediate

I'm kind of smitten with the PCCBs.
Old 09-03-2018 | 02:02 PM
ronht
Rennlist Member

Honestly for the way you described how you are going to use the car you don’t need a GTS GT3 Or a big engined turbo.

A standard Carrers S optioned as you like is not only a lot of fun but more than enough car for day-to-day street/road driving.

I personally prefer a manual manual transmission over the PDK for the overall driving experience, but if you do a lot of city driving or your wife is not comfortable with a manual the PDK is a spectacular transmission!

I just traded a 2017 Carrera S, PDK, Sports Chrono package with rear axel steering and leather interior. For the type of driving you are talking about it was probably the perfect car for you.

Good of luck in your search!
Old 09-04-2018 | 12:00 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

get the highest optioned, good condition used 'S' model coupe you can find, CPO'd if possible.....you just need to pick a transmission first....

1) unless you want to waste months researching(lifes too short for that) then its near impossible to figure out the options you prioritize now without driving. a high optioned car will let you experience them all but as a used vehicle you wont blow your budget on stuff you dont really value.
2) used will depreciate less and there is like a 90% chance you will want something else in a year or two because this is a learning curve
3) the S will give you more power when you want it which is the most expensive and hardest thing to change besides transmission (and you already know you want a coupe)
Old 09-04-2018 | 12:26 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

First picking your 1st 911 should be a great experience. Drive several and get to know which one appeals to you and really checks all the logical and emotional boxes. You don't have to get used as your 1st if you don't want to. There are great deals on used but get what you really want so regrets are not part of the after purchase process.

The turbo engine is now part of the overall Porsche experience and I really believe no one does it better than Porsche. They are reliable but get on with full or at least CPO warranty because there is always "stuff' that needs attention and in a Porsche "stuff adds up". The TT and Turbo S cars are like wine drinking a bit. Start with proven vintages to get your palette educated before you move to the high $ vintages. Don't overdue it or overpay on the 1st until you know what you really like and/or don't need.

I have owned over a dozen Porsche cars that have always excited me and treated me well as as far as reliability. I was a manual only hard head and now with the TTS can't see why I didn't try PDK earlier. Don't drive mine in the winter but daily drive it approx 8 months a year and have been fortunate to only have to deal with regular maintenance. Treat hem well and they will reciprocate. Oil change more than you need to as it is the lowest cost form of insurance. Lastly drive them, enjoy them and if possible make your wife and child part of the ownership experience. Good luck, the hunt should be as much hunt as the catch.
Old 09-05-2018 | 02:19 AM
911Nub
Intermediate

It sounds like a new or low milage 991.2 C2 would be a good starting point for you since you are just looking to fill your dreams and money is not an issue.

I am also in the hunt for my first 911 so I am going to give you a different suggestion than other long time members here... Try renting multiple 911 trims that you are considering on Turo so you don't make your decision based on 10 to 15 minutes of test drives and forum suggestions (a good starting point though). Most models are out there on Turo for you to enjoy for a weekend or more so you can learn and get acquainted to the car(s) better. This is probably the best way to help you narrow down what you want.
Old 09-05-2018 | 08:19 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Dont be adverse to the 991.2’s with turbos if you want a new car. In many ways the overall vehicle is better, and the turbos don’t ruin the experience. Just a little quieter.

Good luck.
Old 09-05-2018 | 09:12 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

...and faster.
Old 09-05-2018 | 10:27 AM
Randy M
Drifting

You're all drug peddlers...all of ya
Old 09-05-2018 | 01:14 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sleepy996
If you don't need back seats I think a lightly used 911T with manual transmission is a great way to dip your toes into Porsche ownership. The 911T feels special and fun to me. Plus with a little negotiating I think they can be had at around 100k with little miles. Smoking Tire recently did a great youtube review of the 911T with Spike and there impressions were spot on except I disagree with Spike you do not need ceramic brakes on that car. Good luck and keep us posted once you pull the trigger.
T's have back seats unless you order them with buckets (LWB's for our new guy).
Old 09-05-2018 | 08:27 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Just pulled the trigger on a 2019 Carrera 4. I tried to find CPO 911's but there aren't any with the equipment I wanted or the colors.

Plus, the CPO's I saw were substantially more than a new order and the 4's were S and Targa 4 models. I wanted AWD for added safety but base model.

If you buy in-stock or CPO, you have to be flexible. For me, for this purchase, no flexibility but some compromise (had to draw a line on the extras).

Do what makes you happy and can afford without being too crazy on options.

Good luck.
Old 09-05-2018 | 08:37 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Congrats, let's see a pic or two when you get them.

But if one can afford it why not go crazy?! Personally, I am trying to fill as many of the console buttons as I can before my freeze date in 2 days.

Quick Reply: Help With First Porsche