Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPF (Paint Protection Film). Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 01:28 AM
Jiecapli
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPF (Paint Protection Film). Yay or Nay?

What's the advantage and disadvantage of PPF?
Full or partial wrap?
Average cost?
Brand?
Recommend any shop in South Bay, Los Angeles area?
Old 08-02-2018, 01:42 AM
kage65
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

While you wait for others to chime in have a look at this thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1066...iever-now.html
Old 08-02-2018, 02:04 AM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

If you do a lot of freeway or track driving (going fast), you’ll need it if you don’t like road rash primarily on the nose/hood and mirrors.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:37 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 127 Likes on 105 Posts

Yay. You will get chips and nicks and road rash per above without. Fine if you're okay with it. A must if you go on the track.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:49 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 708 Likes on 323 Posts

I did a full wrap, Suntek Ultra, and am very pleased with it. My install was top notch.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:03 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

Do a "full partial". I did hood total, full front fenders,front bumper, mirrors, under the doors up to 3/4 of the rocker area full, and under the very rear fender up the wheel arch. Those for me were the high risk areas. $2-$3k.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:14 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Yep

I did this and also added the roof as the leading edge of the roof is something that gets splattered with stuff. 3K. Dont fall for some shyster telling you its 5K. Look around for a good installer who will warranty, most all the products are good the installation is what matters. Get the edges wrapped where possible. You may wish to have things removed (badging, door handles, lights, etc) but I did not as I don't trust a PPF person to remove and replace these items correctly.

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Do a "full partial". I did hood total, full front fenders,front bumper, mirrors, under the doors up to 3/4 of the rocker area full, and under the very rear fender up the wheel arch. Those for me were the high risk areas. $2-$3k.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:31 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,341 Posts

In for responses
Old 08-02-2018, 03:38 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 314 Posts

Full frontal, including all around windshield, full hood and fenders, headlight lenses, mirrors, and rear quarters ahead and behind rear tires. plus rockers with extra up onto the sills to prevent shoe scrapes. Door edges and also door handle pockets are also a good idea. Less than $2k using Suntek Ultra. Less than 3k for full coupe that has sunroof in glass. According to my PCA concours buddy and a couple installers he knows, Suntek now has the best product. On my new Black C2S coupe, it looks awesome. Like perfect paint!
The Expel PPF applied to My Guards Red 2015 C2S coupe, when new, never looked as good as the bare paint. The finish was tool soft and had waves from stretching it to fit, and it got hairlines way too easily. But it did protect from the usual road rash and a few nasty stone hits. When I traded it with 10k miles at e years, my dealer stripped it off the frontal areas and detailed it. The paint was absolutely perfect, as were the headlight lenses.
The Suntek has a harder finish and can be buffed with a random orbital buffer later if necessary, while being soft enough underneath to help heal nicks and protect the paint. I don't see any stretched areas, and no hairlines after two dealer washes and one dry wash at home.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:16 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Here is the test question:
If you noticed a rock chip on you car your reaction is:
A. Get pissed off and your entire month is ruined and every time you see it you get upset.
B. You put some touch up paint in the chip and never think about it again.

if you answered A, yes, you will appreciate PPF. I am a total A, I hated spending the $$, but afterwards it’s all good. YMMV
Old 08-02-2018, 04:18 PM
mlnr
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had all forward facing surfaces done. My daily drive to work is 15 miles of highway filled with semi's and bro-dozers kicking junk up. My first time using it, so we'll see how it looks in a few years.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:00 PM
steelesm
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by titan7
Here is the test question:
If you noticed a rock chip on you car your reaction is:
A. Get pissed off and your entire month is ruined and every time you see it you get upset.
B. You put some touch up paint in the chip and never think about it again.

if you answered A, yes, you will appreciate PPF. I am a total A, I hated spending the $$, but afterwards it’s all good. YMMV
+1, a full wrap is totally worth the peace of mind!
Old 08-02-2018, 05:12 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

What about after years of being on the car?
I need the from bumper on mine re-done due to a bubble that was there prior to purchase.
One guy I spoke with about doing the work trimmed it up for me but explains having to pull it all off could take paint with it.

Anyone had paint come off when pulling it after being on for years?
Old 08-02-2018, 05:17 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Swole
What about after years of being on the car?
I need the from bumper on mine re-done due to a bubble that was there prior to purchase.
One guy I spoke with about doing the work trimmed it up for me but explains having to pull it all off could take paint with it.

Anyone had paint come off when pulling it after being on for years?
Yes, I have had paint come off when pulling off clear film. However, that was on a resprayed panel which is the reason why. If your front bumper has never been repainted, then you should be fine. Have a professional installer take it off with steam. In Atlanta, I would recommend detailed designs auto spa. Never have used them, but have been following their work for years.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:21 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Yes, I have had paint come off when pulling off clear film. However, that was on a resprayed panel which is the reason why. If your front bumper has never been repainted, then you should be fine. Have a professional installer take it off with steam. In Atlanta, I would recommend detailed designs auto spa. Never have used them, but have been following their work for years.
Excellent..Thank you

Quick Reply: PPF (Paint Protection Film). Yay or Nay?