Sponsored by:

Buying first Porsche!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 02:26 AM
Luvwine
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying first Porsche!

Newbie here. Just put a deposit on a CPO 2017 C4S. It is GT Silver and low miles. Prior owner put paint protection on front of car up to side mirrors so condition is really good. I am buying it out of State so it may be a bit before I get my hands on it. So, my question is what do I need to know? Happy for any advice. Any issues tinting the windows? Favorite radar detectors? I run Michelin pilot sport all season tires on our Audi S4 due to driving in the mountain roads in winter sometimes, but would that be criminal on a C4S? Thanks for any words of wisdom or things you wished you knew before you got your first Porsche 911!
Old 07-27-2018, 02:38 AM
phx991
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ceramic tint and Uniden R3

Also don’t assume that because has PPF that the paint is pristine. I bought mine sight unseen from an out of state dealer, and it had quite a few rock chips under the PPF.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:35 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

I like the ceramic tint also. R3 is the best mounted detector out right now. Michelin 4S are super on these cars.
Drive it, get used to it and comfortable with the car. They are addictive once you get comfortable with what they can do. Then add the baubles that make it yours.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:16 AM
Luvwine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by phx991
Ceramic tint and Uniden R3

Also don’t assume that because has PPF that the paint is pristine. I bought mine sight unseen from an out of state dealer, and it had quite a few rock chips under the PPF.

thanks for your warning. Pics look clean and dealer agreed to put in writing that there are no visual defects to finish. Only 1K miles so should be pretty clean but we will see!
Old 07-27-2018, 08:57 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 837 Likes on 418 Posts

Unfortunately there are no all season tires sized for our cars so if you plan to run in the winter where temps are below 40 deg F a set of winter tires would be advisable.

I run my C4S all the time and it just give me that piece of mind that Winter Tires are going to give me all the grip I need when the temps drop.

I picked up a 2nd hand 19" OEM Wheel and Winter Tire set and just change out when the time comes.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:28 AM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

My current ride is a CPO 17 911 that I bought with 700 miles on the clock. My second 911.

Don't assume that everything works even though it is a CPO car. My first 911 the heat did not work but I did not check it on delivery because it was a warm day. CPO does not mean everything is perfect, it really just means you get extra warranty and pay a little more for the car.

Ask about the fuel rail recall repair and the coolant return pipe repair. My coolant return pipe leaked but it only leaks at operating temperature. Had it replaced under warranty. Better to get these things addressed before you pick it up and have problems.

Also my seat bases had some rust on them...surface corrosion but Porsche warrantied them and replaced for free..Ask you sales person to send pics.

Ask about interior rattles, mine had a few that were fixed under warranty.

Ask for documented service records if they apply...ie first oil change, etc. My car was a low mileage 17 CPO and needed an oil change 2 months after I bought it. If it has not, then ask if the dealer will include the oil and filter change with the CPO.

Check the windshield wiper blades, if the car has sat for a while they may need to be replaced...cost is about $92. Check it when you pick it up....easy to replace on the spot.

They will try to sell you the wheel tire warranty and some other warranties for extra cash...

Good luck and enjoy your 911!!
Old 07-27-2018, 10:08 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Driven991
They will try to sell you the wheel tire warranty and some other warranties for extra cash...

Good luck and enjoy your 911!!
On this note, it's a good idea to grab the wheel and tire warranty and ignore the rest of the stuff they'll try to sell you.

You're almost guaranteed to blow a tire or damage a rim at some point due to the low profiles. It's worth the cost.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:51 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have never ever blown a tire or damaged a rim other than minor curb rash ($150 to fix) once. But I don't live in NJ either. Those warranties can be awfully expensive.

I'll suggest that anything written down by the dealer is worth no more than the cost of the paper that it's written on. "I promise the car is perfect." And if it isn't, what are you going to do about it? Pfffffffffft.

I just bought a car out of state, and they lied to me and there were a bunch of unexpected things, but none of it is the end of the world and you gotta realize that you're taking a chance and be prepared.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:17 PM
Luvwine
Intermediate

Thanks for all the info. Very helpful! I have confirmed in writing no open recalls and seat bases good. Regarding asking for something in writing and pictures, I figure makes it more likely they will disclose any issues. If they factually misrepresent something like say finish has no visible imperfections and the finish has a bunch would potentially give grounds to rescind the deal or a case for fraud in the inducement of a contract. Having said that, I don’t suspect any issues and of course there is risk in any transaction. Just doing what I can to minimize the risk.

Is the tire warranty through Porsche and valid at all dealers? Are the stock tires good? How many miles will they last usually if one does not track the car? The car has rear wheel steering if that makes a difference.

Last edited by Luvwine; 07-27-2018 at 11:51 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:38 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 423 Likes on 304 Posts
Default have to agree CPO means nothing

Having things from a car dealer in writing has no value. independent PPI, eyes on before purchase always. Even if the offer to buy he car back are you really gonna ship it back across the country ? Not trying to spoil your excitement but CPO means nothing other than the car comes with insurance to repair.
Old 07-27-2018, 06:37 PM
Luvwine
Intermediate

Well less than $1k to ship but agree a big hassle and there is no guarantee they would agree to buy it back. The pics and video looked perfect—unlike another one I was considering. Time will tell.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:00 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 359 Posts

The tire/wheel warranty pretty much depends on where you live, the roads you drive on, and how careful you tend to be with not curbing wheels. Here in central Texas the roads are good enough and I'm careful enough that I've never had a problem with any of my low-profile tires. I hear that in areas with more winter-related road issues, then it may be beneficial. You mention winter mountain driving so maybe it does make more sense for you.

Like others mentioned ceramic tint (or at least non-metallic) is a must so that radar detectors will work properly. I'd recommend not going to dark... I like 30 or 35% Pinnacle ceramic myself. There are plenty of threads on hardwiring your detector, with two methods being the most popular. This makes the detector mount much cleaner with no dangly cords.

One of the first things you'll want to do is to lower the air pressure in the tires from the full-load levels it will almost certainly be delivered with. The car's multi-function display allows you to select this and will guide you on the appropriate pressures. Riding with full load pressures is just harsher than it needs to be.

Your stock tires will be fine for temperatures above about 45 degrees. If you got lucky and got a car with Michelin 4S's, then you really scored. But even the current version of the PZeros is fine until they wear down or age out.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:10 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

A lot of fear pedaled here some time regarding dealers. Some justified some not. I have had some very good experiences with dealers I have bought my cars from.
Try to make a trip to see the car before everything is locked and loaded. It's always better to deal with anything while the car is still theirs. If not possible try to see if another Rennlister in the area can look at the car and report back.
Don't sweat it too much, get as many pics as possible and talk through the car. I never get wheel and tire insurance I always feel it's more economical to self insure. You will have plenty of time to "dress it up" once you have it home.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:24 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 359 Posts

I agree with Penn4S that most of the times I've had good luck with the dealers. However, on my prior 911, I flew out to look at it in person. Even after asking them to send me photos of any paint issues, they told me they looked the car over and other than minor rock chips in the normal places it looked fine. However, my personal inspection found two bumper scrapes and a small wheel rash that "they didn't notice". They weren't deal breakers for me, but after expressing a lot of unhappiness they had their paint touchup guy come in right away and made them look acceptably better (they were very low on the rear behind the rear wheel and not very visible with the Agate paint). I also ended getting the price down a fair amount more as a result (which more than paid for my airfare and hotels) and ended up buying it.

The point is this: By flying out and looking at it myself I knew exactly what I was getting and had no one to blame or be upset with except myself. And the 1300 mile drive home from Salt Lake City to Austin through the Rockies was a nearly priceless experience, made for some great memories, and allowed me to really get the feel of the car right away. Come to think of it, maybe its getting to be time for another road trip!
Old 07-27-2018, 07:39 PM
txhoosier
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

On tires, I agree that the Michelin Pilot 4S is the way to go. Like them MUCH better than the OEM Pirellis. Also agree that the wheel warranty depends on your roads. Live in TX now - would never consider it. Lived in Jersey too, would make me think a little.

BTW - Congratulations on your purchase. You're going to love your car.

Quick Reply: Buying first Porsche!