Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 991
Reload this Page >

991.2 Fabspeed X-Pipe only Review, Stock Comparison, and Experienc (Videos and Photo)

Notices
991
Sponsored by:

991.2 Fabspeed X-Pipe only Review, Stock Comparison, and Experienc (Videos and Photo)

 
Old 07-20-2018, 01:58 AM
  #1  
Aatish
User
Thread Starter
 
Aatish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Western Burbs
Posts: 479
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 991.2 Fabspeed X-Pipe only Review, Stock Comparison, and Experienc (Videos and Photo)

Alright. Finally got some time to write down my thoughts and experience with this mod. In case you don't want to read what I'm about to write, just know that this thing exceeded my expectations and has me smiling every time I drive my car.

Like many people on this forum, I've been looking for exhaust options for my non-PSE 991.2 Carrera. The side exits for the exhaust look a lot better than the center PSE exits...however the stock muffler is really good at it's job, and leaves quite a bit desired in the sound department.
The Fabspeed X-pipe is one of the few exhaust mods out their for non-PSE cars, and it was the one that was most interesting to me. Seemed like it would be less restrictive than the stock muffler, allowing more sound to come through, and I also really like the tip selection from Fabspeed.

After some outside consulting, many sleepless nights, and the assistance of John from AutoQuest Motorsport (great guy!), I put in my order for the X-pipe and tips and got to waiting.

I received the X-pipe and tips near the end of June and originally planned on installing the thing myself with the help of a friend and his tools...however after an unsuccessful attempt, I decided to have a Midwest Eurosport (located in Bensenville, IL) install the X-Pipe and tips.
From a few post on Rennlist, I realized that the tips would stick out quite a bit with the X-Pipe installed. To remedy this, I told the guys at Midwest Eurosport to try and cut off some of the exit pipe on the X-Pipe. They ended up cutting off 1/2in on each side of the pipe, which allowed for the tips to sit nicely. They stick out more than the blocky OEM tips, however not to the point where it looks obnoxious. The tips are still able to attach nicely to the X-pipe, and are secure. Also, a little bit of heat wrap was put in-between the bands clamps and the resonators on the pipe. This was done to prevent any rattle that may occur during operation.












Took Midwest Eurosport roughly 6 hours to install the X-pipe. Took a bit longer mainly because I stripped a few of the screws during my botched attempt at installing....whoops.

In terms of sound and experience, the Fabspeed X-pipe really gives this car more character. The stock system is loud, no question. However, it really didn't have much tone or pitch to it imo.
The addition of the X-pipe really gave the exhaust a more defined note and sound, as well as increased the noise level slightly. In Sport mode, the exhaust burbles and crackles are a lot more noticeable! Downshifting during spirited driving yields pops and crackles which were not present with the stock muffler (well they were, just really muffled).
Under regular cruising, the exhaust is manageable in terms of sound, however I could see some people complain that it allows more sound into the cabin. Personally, I don't mind it but I could see some people on this forum be quite upset by the increased in cabin volume. No real drone, just more engine noise throughout the cabin during lower RPM driving.

Anyways, I'm half awake and looking to get some sleep soon, so I'll wrap things up. Overall, I am very please with this purchase. Sound has be enhanced in my opinion, and I really feel this is the exhaust mod to do if you're looking to do something to your non-PSE Carrera. I was not expecting as dramatic of change in the character of the car, and pleasantly surprised by the result. I made a quick video comparing the stock exhaust and the X-pipe.



Doesn't do too good of a job portraying the exhaust, but it's better than nothing. I will try and get a video with the sound of the exhaust underboost and during several driving conditions. Hopefully soon...

I want to thank John from AutoQuest Motorsports for helping me purchase the X-pipe, as well as for giving me insight on the modification options for the 991.2!
Also would like to thank Midwest Eurosport in Bensenville, IL for the install job. Great guys who know their stuff when it comes to Porsche.

Anyways. That's all for now. I'll probably talk more once I'm awake.
Goodnight.

-Aatish

Last edited by Aatish; 07-20-2018 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Grammar errors from lack of sleep
Aatish is offline  
Old 07-20-2018, 05:55 PM
  #2  
///M3THOD
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
///M3THOD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: ATL
Posts: 480
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Nice review. Sounds good!
///M3THOD is offline  
Old 07-21-2018, 01:46 PM
  #3  
Aatish
User
Thread Starter
 
Aatish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Western Burbs
Posts: 479
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD View Post
Nice review. Sounds good!
Thanks ///M3THOD

Should have some GoPro footage soon. Stay tuned.
-Aatish

Aatish is offline  
Old 07-21-2018, 02:17 PM
  #4  
flsupraguy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
flsupraguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 920
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

Would you say the fabspeed xpipe cold start is that much louder than stock? Any thoughts going hiflow cat or car bypass? love the look of the wide exhaust exit versus the center Volkswagen bug type center exit lol
flsupraguy is offline  
Old 07-21-2018, 03:18 PM
  #5  
Aatish
User
Thread Starter
 
Aatish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Western Burbs
Posts: 479
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by flsupraguy View Post
Would you say the fabspeed xpipe cold start is that much louder than stock? Any thoughts going hiflow cat or car bypass? love the look of the wide exhaust exit versus the center Volkswagen bug type center exit lol

X-Pipe cold start is definitely louder than stock, I'd say about 25% more. Definitely more defined and noticeable. Once the cold start period is over, that car does quiet down a bit. Idle is still much meaner than the stock muffler.

I am considering something with the cats. Highflow cats are nice, but I prefer bypasses. I certain those will make this thing very loud...not sure if I want to do that just yet. Stage 1 (and 2) is on the roadmap, so it will happen. That said, very happy with how this sound right now and would probably keep it as is if I weren't going to tune in the future.

The wide exhaust exits are lovely. I really don't like the center exhaust exits of the PSE, main reason I was ok with getting a car with a standard system.
This system with these tips really enhances the cars already lovely character.
Aatish is offline  
Old 07-21-2018, 03:52 PM
  #6  
Autoquest Motorsport
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

 
Autoquest Motorsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 276
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Aatish that was very well written and a pleasure to read, nicely done. Thank you for the kind words as well! It was great working with you, and I look forward to seeing more as time goes on and you continue getting seat time with the system.

If anyone is interested in discussing this upgrade or any others for their vehicle, please feel free to give me a call/text anytime at 484 883 6197
__________________
John Gaydos
Director of Sales and Marketing

[email protected]
[email protected]
239-851-5367 (Cell) 239-432-1700 (Work)

AutoQuest MotorSports ôTrust the Kiwiö
www.autoquestms.com
Porsche Sales, Service, Performance and Suspension Specialists

Exclusive Hot New Products:
Surface Transforms Carbon Ceramic Rotors
GT4 MultiLink Rear Suspension
GT4 19% Reduction Final Drive Ratio
GT4 Wing Risers
981/991 Seat Angle Adjusters
GT3/GT4 Titanium Caliper Piston Pucks

Autoquest Motorsport is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 09:08 AM
  #7  
Rennolazine
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Rennolazine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Chitown, USA
Posts: 1,378
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
Alright. Finally got some time to write down my thoughts and experience with this mod. In case you don't want to read what I'm about to write, just know that this thing exceeded my expectations and has me smiling every time I drive my car.

Like many people on this forum, I've been looking for exhaust options for my non-PSE 991.2 Carrera. The side exits for the exhaust look a lot better than the center PSE exits...however the stock muffler is really good at it's job, and leaves quite a bit desired in the sound department.
The Fabspeed X-pipe is one of the few exhaust mods out their for non-PSE cars, and it was the one that was most interesting to me. Seemed like it would be less restrictive than the stock muffler, allowing more sound to come through, and I also really like the tip selection from Fabspeed.

After some outside consulting, many sleepless nights, and the assistance of John from AutoQuest Motorsport (great guy!), I put in my order for the X-pipe and tips and got to waiting.

I received the X-pipe and tips near the end of June and originally planned on installing the thing myself with the help of a friend and his tools...however after an unsuccessful attempt, I decided to have a Midwest Eurosport (located in Bensenville, IL) install the X-Pipe and tips.
From a few post on Rennlist, I realized that the tips would stick out quite a bit with the X-Pipe installed. To remedy this, I told the guys at Midwest Eurosport to try and cut off some of the exit pipe on the X-Pipe. They ended up cutting off 1/2in on each side of the pipe, which allowed for the tips to sit nicely. They stick out more than the blocky OEM tips, however not to the point where it looks obnoxious. The tips are still able to attach nicely to the X-pipe, and are secure. Also, a little bit of heat wrap was put in-between the bands clamps and the resonators on the pipe. This was done to prevent any rattle that may occur during operation.












Took Midwest Eurosport roughly 6 hours to install the X-pipe. Took a bit longer mainly because I stripped a few of the screws during my botched attempt at installing....whoops.

In terms of sound and experience, the Fabspeed X-pipe really gives this car more character. The stock system is loud, no question. However, it really didn't have much tone or pitch to it imo.
The addition of the X-pipe really gave the exhaust a more defined note and sound, as well as increased the noise level slightly. In Sport mode, the exhaust burbles and crackles are a lot more noticeable! Downshifting during spirited driving yields pops and crackles which were not present with the stock muffler (well they were, just really muffled).
Under regular cruising, the exhaust is manageable in terms of sound, however I could see some people complain that it allows more sound into the cabin. Personally, I don't mind it but I could see some people on this forum be quite upset by the increased in cabin volume. No real drone, just more engine noise throughout the cabin during lower RPM driving.

Anyways, I'm half awake and looking to get some sleep soon, so I'll wrap things up. Overall, I am very please with this purchase. Sound has be enhanced in my opinion, and I really feel this is the exhaust mod to do if you're looking to do something to your non-PSE Carrera. I was not expecting as dramatic of change in the character of the car, and pleasantly surprised by the result. I made a quick video comparing the stock exhaust and the X-pipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d3ji5e1R4o


Doesn't do too good of a job portraying the exhaust, but it's better than nothing. I will try and get a video with the sound of the exhaust underboost and during several driving conditions. Hopefully soon...

I want to thank John from AutoQuest Motorsports for helping me purchase the X-pipe, as well as for giving me insight on the modification options for the 991.2!
Also would like to thank Midwest Eurosport in Bensenville, IL for the install job. Great guys who know their stuff when it comes to Porsche.

Anyways. That's all for now. I'll probably talk more once I'm awake.
Goodnight.

-Aatish
Sweet video!! Im in chicago too and would love to do a side by side and rolling footage with the mufflerless fabspeed system and the akrapovic slip on muffler for PSE once I get it installed.
Rennolazine is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 11:07 AM
  #8  
Aatish
User
Thread Starter
 
Aatish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Western Burbs
Posts: 479
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Rennolazine View Post
Sweet video!! Im in chicago too and would love to do a side by side and rolling footage with the mufflerless fabspeed system and the akrapovic slip on muffler for PSE once I get it installed.
Thanks!!

Would definitely be down to do a side by side comparison. DM me once you have it installed. We coordinate something.
Aatish is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 02:41 PM
  #9  
Monty Bhatia
User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I just got mine installed (found a used one from another member).
Definitely a difference in the sound; I find it a lot better than stock.

It does have a bit drone on highway, but nothing crazy.

When you are off throttle you cant hear it at all.

I can take some clips if another video requested once weather gets better and get my old gopro working again.

Now I just need to find tips.
Thanks!
Monty Bhatia is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 10:15 PM
  #10  
Aatish
User
Thread Starter
 
Aatish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Western Burbs
Posts: 479
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Monty Bhatia View Post
I just got mine installed (found a used one from another member).
Definitely a difference in the sound; I find it a lot better than stock.

It does have a bit drone on highway, but nothing crazy.

When you are off throttle you cant hear it at all.

I can take some clips if another video requested once weather gets better and get my old gopro working again.

Now I just need to find tips.
Thanks!
Glad to hear you're like the mod! Honestly my favorite mod to date.

Regarding tips, I'm actually swapping my fabspeed set for some other ones I got. If you're interested, I could work something out for you.

-Aatish
Aatish is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 10:55 PM
  #11  
Monty Bhatia
User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
Glad to hear you're like the mod! Honestly my favorite mod to date.

Regarding tips, I'm actually swapping my fabspeed set for some other ones I got. If you're interested, I could work something out for you.

-Aatish
YGPM...
Monty Bhatia is offline  
Old 03-07-2019, 11:00 PM
  #12  
YTownSpyder
User
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 42
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Fabspeed gets a little bit of a bad rap on here. I did the center muffler delete. Xpipe. Love the sound.
YTownSpyder is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991.2 Fabspeed X-Pipe only Review, Stock Comparison, and Experienc (Videos and Photo)


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: