Sponsored by:

Powder coating wheels opinion

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 11:42 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 373 Likes on 238 Posts
Default Powder coating wheels opinion

Hi guys. I’m looking for an opinion here. I’m thinking about getting my wheels powder coated so they look like they’re brand new. They are not in bad condition but they’re showing scratches etc. Has anybody ever had this done? Should I expect they will hold up as good as the factory paint? Any opinions are welcome.

thanks.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:27 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

If it's just some scratches, you could have them refinished. I wanted a color change and had my Carrera II's powdered. Held up just fine over a couple of winters.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:19 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

I have thought of having all the scratches fixed but that would most likely cost the same or more.

Do you think the finish is as durable?
Old 07-14-2018, 05:00 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

have a wheel finisher do it that specializes in complete restoration. Strip, fix, recolor and powdercoat. it they do fix-it jobs you wont get a good as new wheel
Old 07-14-2018, 06:29 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
I have thought of having all the scratches fixed but that would most likely cost the same or more.

Do you think the finish is as durable?
Powder coating in very durable. Much more resistant to weather, scratching, and rock chips when compared to regular paint. But it's not invincible. If you curb your wheel bad enough it will scratch up like any other paint.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:10 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I've had it done to my boxter's carerra s 20 inch wheels before. Powder coating wheels mean different things to different shops. Some will just put a coat the top and chips/dings will still be visible. The better shops strip the finish, sand blast to smooth imperfections out, patch worse spots, ensure round/balanced, and hand sand as needed. Know what you're getting into...many sketchy shops out there.

The end result of the powder coat (matte black) looked good, but there were some imperfections, however it was an improvement to the stock factory finish my wheels had (inconsistent finish and chipped...those wheels were rock magnet turbines). The stock painted/ clear coat wheel finish was easy scratch/ put swirl marks into...powder coat was very strong and you'd need a significant impact to chip it. Made the wheels easier to clean because brake dust didn't stick to the finish and it seemed to have water repelling properties. I noticed a few small patches around spokes where it seemed as if the alloy had flaked off or something when they refinished. They colored the center caps with paint to match closely to the rims and it looks good, but not perfect. It can and will impact wheel balance somewhat if not done properly (sloppy job). Baking wheels can degrade their strength if not done properly...apparently having magnesium in the allow makes it worse for this. Harder to touch up, but the finish is more durable than factory painted/ clear coated wheels...it will still get dings though..I got a few on larger rocks, whitish grey was visible behind black (not pretty)...the chipped powder coat finish was sharp to the touch...enough to cut your finger or tare a micro fiber cloth.

What I found out later is you can easily plasti dip your own wheels cheap and its not permanent. I probably would have gone that route.

My opinion after dealing with all this is I don't really care too much about imperfections in wheels. Its going to happen and gives the car character. Unless its like really bad (curb rash etc), I wouldn't both trying to refinish wheels just a few scratches or chips. You wont have perfect wheels for long with sticky summer small profile tires and crumbling american roads. Most of the dings aren't visible from normal viewing angles...you really need to lean down and search.
The following 2 users liked this post by minthral:
BGLeduc (11-15-2022), dak911 (12-06-2022)
Old 07-15-2018, 06:50 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently had my carrera classics powder coated. They had been curbed by previous owner and the repair required them to be diamond cut again. My wheel repair person recommended powder coating as multiple diamond cutting events will eventually compromise wheel integrity. I talked to multiple powder coaters until I found one that used a low temperature coating, sand blasted the prior paint ( rather than burning off the coating in a high temp oven) and assured me that they would take as much care of the backs of the wheel rims as they did the fronts.

A couple of shops appeared to do a reasonable job, but the backs of rims were damaged from the racks they were using in the ovens.

The shop i used (WCWR in Fremont, CA) did a good job but not an absolutely perfect job. There were a few bubbles in the coating, the outer surface under the tire (that will never be seen) is not well done and there are some minor surface scratches in the spokes and barrels where the workers in the shop had moved the wheels around. Durability is yet to be seen but they look great. I ceramic coated the wheels.

My other wheels are plastidipped. I love the ability to try different wheel colors and will leave the dip on to protect the original wheel finish. Cleaning has to done gently as you can tell that it is a rubber finish, even if you "glossify" the final coats. My next wheel color is gold!!

Below are the powder coated wheels ...

And below are the plasti-dipped wheels in black...

Last edited by RoWa; 07-16-2018 at 07:05 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 07-16-2018, 12:03 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Thanks for all the advice. The shop I was going to go to is called New Age powder coating and it’s in southern New Jersey. It’s a gigantic place and it looks first class to me. I saw a 22 inch wheel they had just done in black that looked pretty much perfect. That said, I am going to wait until the end of the summer rather than do it right now.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:33 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Like RoWa points out, be sure that they powders with a lower-temperature bake safe for high performance wheels. Some run-of-the-mill powder coaters may use removal, heat levels, and bake times that weaken the molecular structure carefully engineered into our cars' wheels. If the coater doesn't know about this, they aren't the right ones for the job.

While higher-temp bakes might be okay for wheels on cruisers that never see higher speeds, it can render high performance wheels unsafe at higher speeds. Looks are only half of the story.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:42 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Originally Posted by StormRune
Like RoWa points out, be sure that they powders with a lower-temperature bake safe for high performance wheels. Some run-of-the-mill powder coaters may use removal, heat levels, and bake times that weaken the molecular structure carefully engineered into our cars' wheels. If the coater doesn't know about this, they aren't the right ones for the job.

While higher-temp bakes might be okay for wheels on cruisers that never see higher speeds, it can render high performance wheels unsafe at higher speeds. Looks are only half of the story.
This does make me hesitate so I’m just gonna hold off for now. Certainly I will ask when the time comes about the baking process and the fact that it has to be done at a lower temperature.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:36 PM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I had my GT3 wheels powder coated since the factory painted finished scratched and chipped like nobody's business. Came out perfect and looked much better than factory, and held up way better as well.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:59 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Curious to see pics of powder-coated wheels in a light silver? Those I've seen were supposed to be silver but were a milky gray—a problem black doesn't have.

The baking process is its own animal. I'd want to have a high degree of confidence in whoever is doing it. More curious to know if modern wheel deterioration in use has to do with water-based paints not being as good as the old finishes in terms of chip resistance. But wheels are going to take on signs of wear in use—no matter what their finish.

RoWa, your car looks great! Those wheels look great when they're all one color.
Old 11-15-2022, 05:18 AM
driven991.1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

id like to see powder coated after market rims or stck rims powder coated into a shiny silver or a light gray. My car is in aqua blue with black tint. I would consider gold, but it might be too much for my taste and re-sale.

Old 11-15-2022, 10:52 AM
Oleg Car Improvements
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by driven991.1
id like to see powder coated after market rims or stck rims powder coated into a shiny silver or a light gray. My car is in aqua blue with black tint. I would consider gold, but it might be too much for my taste and re-sale.
Take a look below, all of my wheels have been powder coated. The 18" set is done in glossy Porsche silver color

Wheels Wheels Wheels! - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Old 11-16-2022, 02:49 AM
driven991.1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Oleg Car Improvements
Take a look below, all of my wheels have been powder coated. The 18" set is done in glossy Porsche silver color

Wheels Wheels Wheels! - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
They all look good. tough choice on rim color- will continue to think it through. black will be hard to clear and is now overly done. Gray is nice, and gold is over the top cool but may be a bit more for most peoples eyes. Thanks for the eye candy.

Quick Reply: Powder coating wheels opinion