Sponsored by:

I can't get over how absolutely terrible the Bose is

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 08:08 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
I listened to all three (base/Bose/Burmeister) and IMO the base stereo sounds much better than the Bose. It's much more natural sounding.
Thats probably because the BOSE had the surround sound switched on and the correction for engine noise etc. Switch those off and it sounds pretty good.

Its all there in the manual if you look........
Old 06-22-2018, 08:09 PM
911 Day
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Bose is a marketing masterpiece and an audio disaster. It is cheap crap and hence it sounds like that - whether it's in a car or in your house.

Press the PSE button and listen to that instead.
The problem is twofold- mp3 audio files sound quality sucks and Bose is junk as far as electronics go. A crummy audio file played through a crummy audio device regardless of speaker quality is going to sound crummy.

FWIW, I think Bose built it's business by advertising to old people in Readers Digest.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:05 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

Bose definitely is s not optimal. But, try using NON compressed files on your IPod or trying a CD. With some adjustments to the base treble you would be surprised how much better the sound is. Also keep in mind the **** Sirus XM broadcasts is garbage. Worse than mp3 files.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:14 PM
ajeffrey10
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
Yes, I agree these cars are meant for driving. But sometimes that driving involves being stuck in traffic, or on a long trip down the highway. In those cases it's nice to listen to the radio.
Agreed. And at those times the Bose does its job, however imperfectly.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:53 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I listened to Bose and the base and was happier with the base system. All bose seemed to do was give some more bass. I am sure if you turn everything off, bose would sound better if you are looking for neutral sound.

If you care, pay the $5k plus and get burmeister.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:55 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Press the PSE button and listen to that instead.
Bingo!
Old 06-23-2018, 02:45 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Run a high quality source through it and it sounds fine.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:47 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 350 Likes on 208 Posts

Thats probably because the BOSE had the surround sound switched on and the correction for engine noise etc. Switch those off and it sounds pretty good.
No that wasn't the case. I explored all the settings. The Bose was the worst of the three. By a huge margin compared to the Burmeister. IMO one should either fork over $ for the Burmeister or use the base system. The Bose is a waste of money. I listen to what my ears tell me and not to what the marketers and salesmen say.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:52 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Sound is subjective because everyone's ears are different. I've been in many different cars, and the Bose system sounds fine in my 2017. Its nice and clear/ neutral. You need to turn off surround and linear mode...I think this is the largest reason there is so much hate. Music is designed to be listened in stereo and not surround. Even my nearly 10k home theater system it doesn't sound right playing music in surround mode and additional processing. Other cars default to stereo mode and there is no surround option.

To get a more spacious sound without surround mode, fade to back 4 and right 2 two. Reduce bass by 2. Use CarPlay Spotify high quality downloads with EQ to reduces highs to a point you don't get any 'shrills' and reduce lows to a point to a point you don't get 'booming' (unless you like that kinda thing).

The quality of the source content really matters. FM or SiriusXM sound quality is really bad no matter how good of a sound system you got. HD radio has very high quality if you get a good signal. Use the CD player if you want the best quality...I appreciate that its still offered because its the only way to get the highest quality with no compression, though I rarely use it.

I'm pretty sure burmeister is a better system and would have preferred it, however calling the bose system terrible isn't fair. Its just as good or better than other cars. The Ford probably sounded better because the interior was quieter or you're just used to 'sparkling' highs that fatigue. This is a driver's 'luxury sports car' not a comfy 'luxury SUV' - it tries to do both best it can, but there is a delicate balance.

End of the day its a car and a horrible environment to listen to music critically. Use a portable high quality DAC and some high dollar headphones on if you want the best quality. I prefer music on low volume to hear the engine/exhaust...or listen to audio books where sound quality isn't very relevant and the 'linear' or 'surround' modes are actually useful.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:54 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by George from MD
No that wasn't the case. I explored all the settings. The Bose was the worst of the three. By a huge margin compared to the Burmeister. IMO one should either fork over $ for the Burmeister or use the base system. The Bose is a waste of money. I listen to what my ears tell me and not to what the marketers and salesmen say.
Everyone's preference is different. The base system sound really bad to my ears. Like really bad.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:21 AM
Speed Metal 951
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Its pretty underwhelming.. Wifes vehicle has a Bose system, also mediocre as hell. The stock Alpine in my Dodge pickup is 100x's better. Crazy....
Old 06-24-2018, 04:40 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
So was mine so I got a new job.
Best to avoid having a boss altogether.

Originally Posted by groundhog
did you read the manual???? there are a couple of check boxes you need to click e.g. surround sound off and one other - then it sounds pretty good.
Intereresting how some prefer it with Surround off. Mine sounds better to me with it on.

Originally Posted by subshooter
Mine sounds much better using Apple carplay, Linear mode and surround. I think it sounds fantastic.

....but then again I have the .2 which is better in every way.

.... wait....

what’s linear mode? Does my inferior .1 have such a option? I seem to only remember Surround as an “alt option.”

[in character]
Who cares about sound system anyway when you got these sweeeet engine sounds.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:25 AM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Only time I can listen to the stereo with any level of audio fidelity is in town slowly or on the freeway at legal cruise speeds, which is seldom, in which case it sounds fine when adjusted and sourced as described. For any spirited driving, especially with the GTS sound insulation and exhaust it’s poiintless. In retrospect I’d have gone with the standard sound system, but not because of sound quality. Making it even more useless is I have the windows/sunroof open as much as possible so I’m not too detached from how fast the car is.

Last edited by Nm2far; 06-24-2018 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:51 AM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It’s a modern tragedy that so many Porsche 911 drivers are so distracted by the radio.

My Bose is fine. My car is awesome.
Old 06-24-2018, 12:37 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 911sccab
It’s a modern tragedy that so many Porsche 911 drivers are so distracted by the radio.

My Bose is fine. My car is awesome.
Hardly. Everyone has certain, and different, requirements and expectations when purchasing products. You clearly do not have a very high bar when it comes to sound systems while others do. That doesn't mean that you should dismiss theirs.

As a music lover and guitar player my GT3's usually provides all the sound I want. However, there are times I wish it had the Burmester that my Macan does. By comparison, the Bose in the GT3 is so pathetic that it sounds like you're listening to the car next to you... with the windows up.

Quick Reply: I can't get over how absolutely terrible the Bose is