Sponsored by:

2015 991.1C4 vs 2017 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 08:42 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,278 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
The 992.2 is the one you're looking for. You're welcome.
Nah, by then Mission E will be in full swing and when the figures for their self-driving electric 911 are inevitably leaked it will render all previous generations redundant (as in painfully slow).

But thanks anyway...
Old 06-18-2018, 08:45 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

I can’t wait for the 992 to trap a whopping 3 MPH higher than the 991.2 and run a staggering 3.9 seconds faster on the Ring so 992 owners can feel their rocket fuel oats like Nino feels over .1 owners. Fun times.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:04 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
I can’t wait for the 992 to trap a whopping 3 MPH higher than the 991.2 and run a staggering 3.9 seconds faster on the Ring so 992 owners can feel their rocket fuel oats like Nino feels over .1 owners. Fun times.
Unlike you, I wont be visibly upset about it online because I'm a rational person who accepts that, with new generations come new and better improvements.

You're literally stating that you're hopeful I get upset about a 992.. SAD!

Besides, the 992 is going to be based off the 991.2 motor wise with the 992.2 being a flash of the next gen. Just like the 991.1 being more like a 997.2

I'm modded and soon to be tuned. Will be out performing stock 992's from the get go... Have fun being a turd compared to a 3.4 Boxster S
Old 06-18-2018, 06:38 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by groundhog
Not trying to be antagonistic but the the difference appear very large
That’s the thing though, it can be seen as antagonistic because I wouldn’t call that “remotely large,” never mind “very large.” It’s all perspective. Allow me to explain:

Here’s a link to a 2012.5 Carrera S that did a 3.5 0-60 and an 11.8 1/4 mile. Although the .2 GTS is far and away the most advantageous GTS over its generations S (it actually has a measurable performance difference while previous GTS’s weren’t as far away from their S brothers), those GTS numbers you quoted are pretty modest.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...911-carrera-s/

Also, remember that the .1 base put up better times than the 997.2 GTS (as several magazines noted). And the .1 S put up a better time than the 997.2 GT3 4.0 (as the article above states)! New base 911’s topping or matching previous GTS 911’s is par for the course.

Still, I get it, we all have our biases, priorities, agendas, what have you. But are we so biased that we won’t recognize how immensely impressive it is that a “torqueless” naturally aspirated non-GT flat six turns a friggin’ 3.5 0-60, and 7.37 on the Ring, back in 2011/2012?? That’s logic defying. Porsche masterpiece. Mid 3 second 0-60 at 11’s 1/4 mile for an atmospheric non-insanely-high-RPM natural breather with Beethoven in the back? And the .1 base just a few tenths “slower?” What’s not to love? Why diminish something that’s clearly a destined written-in-the-stars legend? The .1’s will forever be solidified as the technically best N/A Carreras. Porsche will never make an N/A street car (non GT) that’s faster or better. And the fact that they can even remotely keep up with newer twin turbo cars is icing on the cake.

And before this triggers any .2 owners. Know none of that diminishes .2’s. Note there isn’t one negative thing about the .2 written there. It just means .1’s, whether you like it or not, are solidified as legends in their right. Look no further than some of their resale values and used models already practically reaching within the realm of new 911’s.

I’m not a racer. Personally, anything low-mid 12’s and capable of doing 114 MPH trap is “fast.” Knocking half a second and adding 4 MPH to that is “even faster.” Unless someone is trolling or trying to make themselves feel better, I don’t see how that can upset them.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:53 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

We're in the golden era of combustion engines with a ton of horsepower. Might as well enjoy it as long as we can.

Both engine types have their merit. I'm fortunate that my daily driver is a modified Golf R with a lot of torque (370 ish if I run 94 octane). If I want that sort of driving experience, I drive that car. But, for a purely visceral experience, the 991.1 S sounds pretty darn good to me. And, it's still faster than my Golf even tho it's an inferior NA engine
Old 06-18-2018, 07:11 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

The .1 NA flat six never got 3.5 'mid three seconds.' 4+ seconds is reality. Probably more due to hesitation.

The new base is 3.5. Add S, sports chrono, PDK, AWD, maybe even powerkit and its easily under 3.0, or just as fast as a GT3.

Its no a few tenths faster. Its up to 1+ second faster or 33%. Power delivery is more instant and responsive.

I've compared a .1 GTS, C4 (PDK and sports chrono), now have .2 C4S (PDK and all performance options). If you turn on all the sports settings, hit the sport response button or launch control, power is incredible. It just goes and turns your stomach. Do the same with a .1 and you'd feel PDK hesitation followed by disappointment. The .2 is so much faster its unbelievable. It is just as fast as a P model S tesla (without ludicrous mode). Can't imagine how much faster it can get with an aftermarket tune (I personally would never do this), whereas gains for a tuned NA engine are minimal.

Maybe 992 will get neutered because the .2 is way faster than published specs. Porsche really wanted to make sure this new engine is good and that it is.

All you .1 owners trying to defend your car should go test a .2 out to see the real deal.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:11 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,032 Likes on 484 Posts

.2's torque for a dd is definitely nice, but honestly I love the .1 C4s overall more than the base .2 for the hips and sound. It's PLENTY fast enough, looks awesome, seem to be bullet proof and you can always do a tune for the transmission if you're out of warranty and want it snappier...
Old 06-18-2018, 07:22 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by minthral
The .1 NA flat six never got 3.5 'mid three seconds.' 4+ seconds is reality. Probably more due to hesitation.
.1. 3.5 0-60.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...911-carrera-s/
Old 06-18-2018, 07:47 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

Maybe 992 will get neutered because the .2 is way faster than published specs.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:56 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Fake news. I wonder why you keep bringing up 2012 model years.. Could this be around the time the 991 was introduced? Where Porsche and magazines were looking for good press? Also around the same time that Porsche publicly cried about how good the Nissan GTR's lap times were and began claiming Nissan was lying? Do you quote magazines for a living or get up and actually test your car?

A tuned 2013 C4S could only muster a 4.2 (PDK SC) at best from the testing I've done. Even on a slight downhill. We're all lying about the laziness of the .1 and the quickness of the .2 however.

How easy is it for you to search articles that fit your argument just to copy/paste? Your article states that the Carrera S matched the 500hp 2900 pound 997 GT3RS 4.0 in 0-60 and 1/4 miles.. Riiiight.

Why don't you link this one?

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/porsc...s-first-drive/

3.5 lol. I wonder how much Por$che offered them to put that in there!

Anywho, keep coping my friend!
Old 06-18-2018, 09:00 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by LavaGTS
Fake news. I wonder why you keep bringing up 2012 model years.. Could this be around the time the 991 was introduced? Where Porsche and magazines were looking for good press? Also around the same time that Porsche publicly cried about how good the Nissan GTR's lap times were and began claiming Nissan was lying? Do you quote magazines for a living or get up and actually test your car?

A tuned 2013 C4S could only muster a 4.2 (PDK SC) at best from the testing I've done. Even on a slight downhill. We're all lying about the laziness of the .1 and the quickness of the .2 however.

How easy is it for you to search articles that fit your argument just to copy/paste? Your article states that the Carrera S matched the 500hp 2900 pound 997 GT3RS 4.0 in 0-60 and 1/4 miles.. Riiiight.

Why don't you link this one?

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/porsc...s-first-drive/

3.5 lol. I wonder how much Por$che offered them to put that in there!

Anywho, keep coping my friend!
“Fake news”

What a joke. Good to know this place has turned into a political propaganda sandbox.

Speaking of fake news. Hi Nino’s new screen name.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:01 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
I doubt it. They probably used magic to 'correct' the speed inaccurately. Or they were below sea level or something. Most other sources report 4++ seconds.

Here is a realistic test:

~5-6 seconds.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:03 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Whats with the hostility towards one another? We are all enthusiasts, it shouldn't always come down to this aggressive back and forth. If you passionately disagree with someone who passionately shares their opinion, there's probably not going to be any middle ground.

At the end of the day, who gives a ****...we all drive 911's, we are leagues ahead of the curve!

Last edited by ///M3THOD; 06-18-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:22 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
Whats with the hostility towards one another? We are all enthusiasts, it shouldn't always come down to this aggressive back and forth. If your passionately disagree with someone who passionately shares their opinion, there's probably not going to be any middle ground.

At the end of the day, who gives a ****...we all drive 911's, we are leagues ahead of the curve!
I don’t get it. The level of offense the guy(s) (I have a feeling one of them is our old banned friend) is taking to me simply posting factual .1 times is pretty nuts. Not once have I even criticized the .2 or even gone into the sound discussion here. It’s turned into a poltical like discourse. If something doesn’t feed ones agenda, they go full overcompensating troll to fuel their narrative.

Me highlighting .1 ring times, common trap speeds, 0-60 times (even Edmunds got a .1S to a 3.9 0-60, and they’re notoriously the slowest), angers them that much?

I know they don’t speak for nearly the majority of .2 owners. But if the fact that the .1 puts up such good times bothers them or affects their adoration for their cars, then simply put that’s sad.

Some people think 3-4 MPH trap and around half a second 1/4 mile are a huge difference. And I even understand that from their perspective. To me, it’s not so much. I think both cars are fast. One is faster by the exact statistical measure we have at hand. Why that’s an issue or forces them to berate the “other” car with false agenda is beyond me.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:51 PM
.2PDK
Race Car

I doubt it. They probably used magic to 'correct' the speed inaccurately. Or they were below sea level or something. Most other sources report 4++ seconds.

Here is a realistic test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Exc9smhC5L4

~5-6 seconds.

No offense there Poncho but those two clowns tip the scales at what...550lbs combined?

I guess you're right this is a more realistic test by a couple of real Americanos...

Quick Reply: 2015 991.1C4 vs 2017 991.2