Sponsored by:

2015 991.1C4 vs 2017 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 08:23 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
I have a .1 C2 and have never driven a .2 base but from what I read hereabouts the .1 is downright slow as molasses compared to the .2 base.

We're talking Prius slow here...
It really is.

.2 C2 would put train lengths on a .1 C2. No hyperbole.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:51 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino
It really is.

.2 C2 would put train lengths on a .1 C2. Pure hyperbole.
FIFY
Old 06-17-2018, 08:58 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A
FIFY
No, I think you're upset because a .1 is vastly inferior to a .2.
Simple truth.

It's understandable. Many have paid a substantial amount of money and developed an attachment to their car only for a better variant to come out. It's an endless loop cycle that always carries on.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:08 PM
K-A
Drifting

No, I think you're upset because a .1 is vastly inferior to a .2.
Simple truth.

It's understandable. Many have paid a substantial amount of money and developed an attachment to their car only for a better variant to come out. It's an endless loop cycle that always carries on.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:42 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,202 Likes on 725 Posts

Agreed, I'm seriously thinking of suing Porsche for fraud.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:54 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by tse
Agreed, I'm seriously thinking of suing Porsche for fraud.
Maybe they’ll do a lemon buyback because our cars are so slow?

“I wanted a 7.34 Ring time! NOT a 7.37.9! Do you realize how many train lengths 3.9 seconds is on a 430 second track????”

Might work.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:05 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

It's almost political how we have to please both sides on this forum. Now now, can't mention that the .2 is much better and faster or we'll offend the .1 guys. Lets just lie to ourselves over and over and over.

Ignorance is bliss.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:20 PM
simplex
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Here we go again. I will save some time:

Both are amazing cars.

Both have their pluses and minuses.

Those that like one car will say their minuses don't exist or are better off having than the pluses of the other Car. And vice versa.

Comparisons of the unfavorable Car will be made by each party. They will be ugly and nonsensical.

There are no wrong answers here.

The OP needs to drive both and decide which suits his needs, both from a car standpoint as well as a pricing one. It is a very personal preference.

Either way, a 911 is better to have than most cars. Nobody needs a 911.

Happy motoring! Post pics when you buy.
This needs to be pinned to the top of the 991 forum. Or any car forum for that matter.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:29 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Originally Posted by virage
This needs to be pinned to the top of the 991 forum. Or any car forum for that matter.
Or we can be grown ups and accept the facts instead of lying to others and ourselves.

The OP is making a 5-6 figure purchase and I'd hate for him to be force fed wrong information.

This is coming from someone whose owned both and spent a considerable amount of time in both while racing and abusing both.. I'm only here to help. The majority of .1 owners have never driven a .2.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:30 PM
K-A
Drifting

It's almost political how we have to please both sides on this forum. Now now, can't mention that the .2 is much better and faster or we'll offend the .1 guys. Lets just lie to ourselves over and over and over.

Ignorance is bliss.
Interesting viewpoint. Kind of like .1 owners can't state facts like the .2 S fastest Ring time is only 3.9 seconds over the fastest .1 S Ring time, or that trap speeds from base vs base or S vs S models fall within 3-4 MPH without a .2 owner or few going berzerk and following up with "YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS! WE'RE TRAIN LENGTHS FASTER! U SO SLOOWWWW!"

Seriously, like I said before, both are considered fast cars. If the .2 is a rocket, then the .1 is a slightly slower rocket. So many people here say time and time again that "there's no reason to get a .2 S because the base is fast enough," yet those same people will say that the .2 S is "like missiles vs molasses" when comparing to a .1 S, which is about identical to a .2 base in 1/4 mile times (again, the fastest .1 S tested for a 3.6 0-60, 11.7 1/4 mile at 118 MPH) and most likely faster than a .2 base on the Ring? Clearly it doesn't make sense. Obviously we know the newer 911's will always be faster. But let's keep some semblance of context here.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:44 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

^ No it's not a rocket. The .1 is extremely slow. Especially the base and especially in today's standards.

No one is saying you're jealous. More like butt-hurt.. It's understandable though. It's gonna happen to some .2 guys when the 992 comes out. Just simple real talk. Tell me, what mother effer on this forum is on the RING? You're using hyperbolic scenarios to back up your "claim" and I have not seen any data. You are also more than likely to cherry pick the best numbers you can find for the .1 and the worst for the .2.

The difference in power is insane and not even a comparison. Again.. This is coming from someone whose put 10k miles + on both platforms. Can you explain to me how a 370hp base car runs .3 seconds faster than a 400hp S on the same track while both are equipped with PDK (370hp car has no chrono either while the 400hp S does). I'm talking 1/4 mile here. 12.2 vs 12.5. Numbers don't lie. I've seen a 2013 Boxster S repeatedly walk a base .1

Not to mention how crappy and outdated the .1 PCM is. Rougher and slower the PDK is in the .1 and how much better the steering is in the .2. The overall torque, output, and ride of the 3.0 make for a much more pleasurable ride. Smoother, stronger and faster. All around much more comfortable while superior in terms of performance.

Porsche threw in the 3.0 for ****s and giggles to stir the pot on rennlist right? Not for any other reason.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:54 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Originally Posted by shing911500e
Considering these two. Both are CPO. 2017 car is $7k more expensive than the 2015. Many differences between the two. Drove the C4 but not the 3.0tt base car yet. Both are colors I love, base 2017 is a bit higher spec but negligible. I have an old air cooled car that is for weekends and is a garage queen. The cars in question (whichever is purchased) would be my daily driver. Both are PDK and neither has sport Chrono or any substantive performance options. Both have standard exhaust and both have 20" S wheels. My general feeling is that the 991.2 is the way to go (haven't driven it yet, remember), but something about the 2015 C4 speaks to me as a daily driver (brawney hips and begging to be driven hard in inclement weather) in Nor Cal. All feedback welcome. Someone give me the real deal POV...is the 991.2 leagues ahead?? I am guessing so, but wonder if there are any folks out there that have driven both...@stout?
Go drive the .2 and you'll never look back. I typically stay away from threads like this but I'm slaying these demons for you.

Buying the .1 BASE is like trying to ball out in yesteyears S class/7 series. Don't buy it. 7k extra will go into better resale and overall a much better car/ride. If the big butt is your think and you're stuck in that price point then you're going to have to settle.. Keyword: SETTLE.

If you're dead set on that 3.4, go look at a boxster S or something. You'll have more trunk space and the drive will blow you away.

Thank me later.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:55 PM
K-A
Drifting

^ No it's not a rocket. The .1 is extremely slow. Especially the base and especially in today's standards.

No one is saying you're jealous. More like butt-hurt.. It's understandable though. It's gonna happen to some .2 guys when the 992 comes out. Just simple real talk. Tell me, what mother effer on this forum is on the RING? You're using hyperbolic scenarios to back up your "claim" and I have not seen any data. You are also more than likely to cherry pick the best numbers you can find for the .1 and the worst for the .2.

The difference in power is insane and not even a comparison. Again.. This is coming from someone whose put 10k miles + on both platforms. Can you explain to me how a 370hp base car runs .3 seconds faster than a 400hp S on the same track while both are equipped with PDK (370hp car has no chrono either while the 400hp S does). I'm talking 1/4 mile here. 12.2 vs 12.5. Numbers don't lie. I've seen a 2013 Boxster S repeatedly walk a base .1

Not to mention how crappy and outdated the .1 PCM is. Rougher and slower the PDK is in the .1 and how much better the steering is in the .2. The overall torque, output, and ride of the 3.0 make for a much more pleasurable ride. Smoother, stronger and faster. All around much more comfortable while superior in terms of performance.

Porsche threw in the 3.0 for ****s and giggles to stir the pot on rennlist right? Not for any other reason.
Like I’m gonna read that self convincing diatribe?

You claim others are trying to “feel better about their purchase” by overcompensating, then state that after making a large investment to go from a .1 to .2, despite actual factual data that places your .2 S within 4 seconds of a .1 S on the Ring and within just a few MPH in the quarter mile, one is a “rocket” and the other is “slow?” And clearly you don’t see the irony. By your own previous statements, your logic is clouded by having to justify your investment.

Both are fast. One is 3.9 seconds on the Ring, about half a second in the quarter (being generous) and 3-4 MPH faster on the trap. That’s the thing about numbers. You can actually use them to quantify and qualify statements.

But whatever. .1’s are snails on honey. Don’t let me get in the way of that justification. Whatever works.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:00 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Right.. Post up your biased garbage and not read any rebuttals.

3.9 seconds is substantial and gets exponentially larger. Same with the quarter mile. At any speed and at any point in the powerband the .2 is much much stronger.

Wake me up when you have the cojones to drive your car like it's meant to be driven. Punching it to redline in 1st and 2nd to get your jollies off doesn't count.

Again.. Not to mention the myriad of other upgrades the .2 gets.. Go to sleep kiddo.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:02 PM
K-A
Drifting

Referenced here in one of the many previous 1 vs 2 threads) was one magazine which tested a manual vert .2 base at 12.3-12.4 seconds and 114-116 MPH. That exact mag got a .1 vert manual at 12.7 seconds and 112/113 MPH (can’t remember exact figures but numbers were around there for both cars). Can’t get more equal “non cherry picking” than that.

That’s why aside from something as direct as that, the only way to get a fair comparison is finding the *best* times for both cars. Cherry picking is finding a slow time for one and a fast time for another. Conditions, transmissions, techniques all vary widely. Best vs best is always the fairest scenario.

Quick Reply: 2015 991.1C4 vs 2017 991.2