Sponsored by:

What does it take for 991.2 GTS to Match GT3

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 11:25 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Well for one thing it has a true dry sump with a separate pressurized oil reservoir so extended track use won't begin to wear out your internals with the integrated solution at the high-g loads that those stickier tires are capable of.

The GTS won't have problems running a few track days here and there, but it's just not designed for regular track use.
That's actually really cool and true. Don't think it'll affect the OP however.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:31 AM
reacher
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Why? the OP wanted know how to beat his buddy. The easiest way to do this is by becoming a better driver and the easiest way to become a better driver is through high performance driver training. Driver training is a "modification" as it modifies a drivers behaviours and timing. This makes you both safer and faster and is transferable.

This is the answer you will always get from people that know what they are talking about and this is the answer you will get from every track instructor worth his salt.
I guess we should all just sell our Porsches and downgrade to Miatas and hit the track with the instructors until we're worthy of having cars that are too much for us to handle at our current skill level. Because lord knows there's no point in having a Porsche as long you can't even max out the potential of a Miata.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:03 AM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/po...rs-track-cars/

track you car car whether it’s a Mazda, GTS or GT3. Have fun.

You want to apply mods, knock yourself out.

GTS has every right to be on the track. IMO - The OP will have the same speed on the track in the GTS as he does in a GT3.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:55 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by good2go
GTS has every right to be on the track. IMO - The OP will have the same speed on the track in the GTS as he does in a GT3.
I mean sure yeah. Everyone should take their cars to the track. I’ve taken mine to the track. Nothing wrong with that, everyone should get a feel for how their car handles in that sort of environment. But if you want to make it a regular thing and start worrying about your lap times and that sort of thing, just do yourself a favor and buy the tool that was designed for it. It’s the GT3.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:41 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by reacher
I guess we should all just sell our Porsches and downgrade to Miatas and hit the track with the instructors until we're worthy of having cars that are too much for us to handle at our current skill level. Because lord knows there's no point in having a Porsche as long you can't even max out the potential of a Miata.
An awful lot of drivers would benefit a great deal from learning to max out a miata
Old 06-18-2018, 03:30 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,190 Likes on 629 Posts
Default I would like to know the secret sauce as well.

Originally Posted by Nino
What does this have to do with anything? It's like telling a GT3 owner there's nothing he can do to be twin turbo boosting at 19PSI.

A GTS with a tune would wax any GT3 in any type of straight line pull, especially at top speed. There are tuners out there working and finding more power beyond the GTS redline. Obviously since it's in its infant stages they don't know whether or not it's going to last. Revving to 9k may result in a spun bearing.. Then again.. 9000rpms has nothing to do with this debate.

Here's the recipe.

-Upgraded brakes if you don't have PCCB.
-Same tire spec as GT3
-Mild tune(probably not even necessary)
-Aero
-Upgraded control arms to dial in a proper suspension setup. You can most likely slap on GT3 suspension bits to keep it OEM.

Please inform me of any secret sauce the GT3 has that I'm unaware of.
Thanks NINO, A picture says a thousand words to me. I was wondering how that integrated into the Elephant racing Front control arm. The pic told me. I was looking at getting the Anti-Dive/Anti Squat one that connects into it, but I see how the stock one does as well. Good job. Is that your car? I will do the camber plates as well. Quite a few nice elephant racing bits. Even tastier than the GT3 secret sauce lol, as a GT3 can upgrade to these as well.

I believe I am a slightly better driver than my friend. He has a Manual GT3, and I have a PDK GTS. I have done plenty of driving courses. It was more about hardware. I won't upset anyone anymore, I will keep my mods to my self.
Just PM me if you want to know.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:36 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
Why does OP's avatar say 4 point 0. Should be 3.0tt. Embrace what you have. You paid a lot of money and it is a great car. One thing I doubt you could replicate on any turbo engine is the sound of a 4.0 at 9K RPM and this is certainly part of the GT3 'experience'.

J
Am I only allowed to have one?
Old 06-18-2018, 04:40 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Am I only allowed to have one?
No the problem is you can end up with a 4 berth garage full of Porsches - then which one do you sell to make space
Old 06-18-2018, 04:43 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by groundhog
No the problem is you can end up with a 4 berth garage full of Porsches - then which one do you sell to make space
I move and buy a place with more garages. Like I did this year : )
Old 06-18-2018, 04:47 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
I move and buy a place with more garages. Like I did this year : )
Thats the way - thinking outside the box
Old 06-18-2018, 06:07 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Here's the ultimate sneaky mod -

(1) Replace the front and rear Brembo brakes and rotors with PFC brakes and rotors (this is easy - they're the ones used on the 991 Cup)
(2) Now you have done this you can clear 18 inch track wheels wrapped in yokohama race rubber (or Michellin equivalent)

Just tell him you wanted a set of track wheels as you didn't want to damage your dailys).

As long as it's not wet you'll demolish your friend (and assuming you're at about the same level and have some track experience)
Old 06-18-2018, 06:28 AM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

But the biggest difference is the GT3 is NA that redlines at 9000 rpm. Nothing you do to a GTS will make it drive like a GT3.
Well, if you really wanted to, you could get someone to re-program the ECU on a GTS to match the shape of the GT3 engine power curve. *Why* you’d want to do this, I’m not sure! As the 3.0 has a shorter stroke than the 4.0, to get 9,000rpm as well as the shape, piston speed wouldn’t be an issue although rods, pistons and valvetrain might. You could swap the rev counter on the GTS for a GT3 one and make it read 9,000 when it’s actually 7,500...

I’ve no doubt that with a few tweaks you could make a GTS equal or exceed a GT3 in most performance metrics but I agree it will be a very different experience: keeping a NA motor in its high-rpm powerband vs. using the wider torque spread of a turbo engine. Both fulfilling but in contrasting ways. I think Porsche have done a good job with the Carreras’ engines by making their character more NA than the turbo in the Turbo but it’s a tough comparison with one of the best NA engines in the world in the GT3.

Adding one of these to a GTS would probably do it and there’s always Stage 2 and 3 if that doesn’t satisfy.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:27 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 456 Posts

Actually a part of me would enjoy the kitted up GTS more than the gt3 haha, that torque is an incredibly advantageous monster on most courses, and with those kind of serious suspension mods...I'm betting it would throw down some pretty badass times...
Old 06-18-2018, 07:33 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Actually a part of me would enjoy the kitted up GTS more than the gt3 haha, that torque is an incredibly advantageous monster on most courses, and with those kind of serious suspension mods...I'm betting it would throw down some pretty badass times...
I’m the opposite, if I got a GT3 I’d want to be at the track trying to improve my lines but with the GTS I’d just leave it stock and cruise the canyon roads.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:21 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
I am sure that the GTS is more than capable and in fact in certain tests is faster 0-60 than the GT3, however there are not many GT3 drivers that care much about 0-60 times. What you will never experience is managing the torque that the GT3 creates in the 6k-9k range. It's is very similar to that of the 3.4L 991's talk about, they live above 6k rpm and love it to death. I know, I owned 2 of them. In the end, it does not matter. All that matters is that the car you acquire meets your needs, expectation and leaves you feeling very happy to drive it.

Quick Reply: What does it take for 991.2 GTS to Match GT3