Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 C2S What are my rear spoiler options? Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 12:48 AM
2thdoc14
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 991.2 C2S What are my rear spoiler options? Wheels?

Car is in for PPF, going stealth Xpel on the black car. I want to add a spoiler wing to rear. What are my options? Ive been searching and all I see is the Duck or Tech art. Any others?

As for wheels, can I only use 20 inches with the rear wheel steering?
Old 06-12-2018, 12:54 AM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure of tail options, but am certain you can go 21” with rear steering (I did this as did many others in the forum).

Width can be a factor with rubbing if you go too wide. I went a bit wider with 325 tires on the rears (I don’t recall the width of the wheel itself, I believe I went 1/2” wider than stock).

I have a TTS, not sure if tire width limitations are same on non-TT/TTS. I would be certain 21” diameter is ok though.

Likejy a forum on here already with details if you search.

Lots of great wheel options out there, look forward to seeing it complete.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:27 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

Porsche doesn't recommend putting aftermarket spoilers/wings on a 991.2 Carrera since it will interfere with the flow to the intercoolers underneath the stock spoiler and those are vital to the car's power. The claim a loss of as much as 80 HP without proper intercooling.

They do have a cool mini-duck (more of a micro) option that comes with the Sport Design aero... but that is as much as is recommended.

Old 06-12-2018, 03:32 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Porsche doesn't recommend putting aftermarket spoilers/wings on a 991.2 Carrera since it will interfere with the flow to the intercoolers underneath the stock spoiler and those are vital to the car's power. The claim a loss of as much as 80 HP without proper intercooling.

They do have a cool mini-duck (more of a micro) option that comes with the Sport Design aero... but that is as much as is recommended.
FWIW the Techart Type II wing for the 991.2 enhances the airflow to the intercoolers through it's integrated scoops.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:35 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Code
FWIW the Techart Type II wing for the 991.2 enhances the airflow to the intercoolers through it's integrated scoops.
Cool! I didn't know anyone had come up with a viable 991.2 wing solution yet, but it makes sense that TechArt would do one. Thanks for the good info... I'm sure its worth a lot to OP.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:40 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

BTW, a related aside. I was just out to lunch in the car and got reminded about how early the car will deploy the spoiler on a 991.2 when it's hot outside. We've been getting into the high 90s a lot. If I call for almost degree of "fun" acceleration the spoiler deploys... even at fairly low speeds. I'm assuming it is due to the outdoor temperatures as I didn't notice the car being quite so aggressive with deployment back in February.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:12 PM
BulldogR6
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

thinking of wheels as well so I'd be interested to follow up on this thread. I'm actually thinking of going with 19" wheels for the GTS. subscribed!
Old 06-12-2018, 04:28 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BulldogR6
thinking of wheels as well so I'd be interested to follow up on this thread. I'm actually thinking of going with 19" wheels for the GTS. subscribed!
If you have AWS (all-wheel-steering), I understand that most 19" wheels with barrels large enough to clear the bottom suspension attachment point. It's hard to get a thin sponge through that gap when cleaning the barrels on 20" wheels. Someone has posted one aftermarket option that will just fit in some other thread addressing wheels and AWS but I don't recall what that was.... maybe Forgelines. You'd definitely want to check with the manufacturer.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:45 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by BulldogR6
I have used the OZ HLT 11x19s with the RWS on my 991.2 GTS.
If you get the ET 40 version, you will need a 7 mm or more spacer to prevent contact if you track the car
( there is a change in inner diameter of the rim just outboard of the tightest gap to the RWS knuckle).
Gap is 3-4 mm. They have an 50 ET version that should work without the spacer.
If you dont track the car, you probably won't need the spacer.
Ran without the spacer at Chuckwalla successfully, but the long, high G turn at AutoClub caused the rim to flex inward enough to make contact with the knuckle..
Adding the spacer fixed that.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:24 PM
BulldogR6
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
If you have AWS (all-wheel-steering), I understand that most 19" wheels with barrels large enough to clear the bottom suspension attachment point. It's hard to get a thin sponge through that gap when cleaning the barrels on 20" wheels. Someone has posted one aftermarket option that will just fit in some other thread addressing wheels and AWS but I don't recall what that was.... maybe Forgelines. You'd definitely want to check with the manufacturer.
Originally Posted by arter
I have used the OZ HLT 11x19s with the RWS on my 991.2 GTS.
If you get the ET 40 version, you will need a 7 mm or more spacer to prevent contact if you track the car
( there is a change in inner diameter of the rim just outboard of the tightest gap to the RWS knuckle).
Gap is 3-4 mm. They have an 50 ET version that should work without the spacer.
If you dont track the car, you probably won't need the spacer.
Ran without the spacer at Chuckwalla successfully, but the long, high G turn at AutoClub caused the rim to flex inward enough to make contact with the knuckle..
Adding the spacer fixed that.
i do not have rws. so that shouldn't be a problem. only thing is CL wheels makes it a little more challenging (price, availability) to get. Considering some 19" BBS E88 with a fat rear tire, haven't seen one on a GTS so the search is still on :=)
Old 06-12-2018, 10:48 PM
2thdoc14
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the input. Got a call today that the Endurance racing decals are very hard to get off and they leave some etching in the clear coat. Im working on a warranty claim for having them removed and the paint corrected. I will likely just take the decals home and opt not to have them put on. Hopefully Porsche comes thru for me, as these decals are horrible quality.

I was thinking the only decent wing was the tech art, but I like the turbo S style as well.

As for wheels, I want to get another set for track days. I likely will only be able to make 4 days this summer, but I think id like to have better tires than the pirellis. I did searching but didnt see anything definite to whether or not i have to run the 20s to get clearance w RWS.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:03 PM
Lambomike58
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I wanted a spoiler on my c2s but didn’t want to go big or remove the retractable wing so I put a spoiler from spoiler Nation on, I don’t track the car it’s not a daily driver I just wanted a little something to flair up the back end, I’ve gotten crap from others on this site regarding the wing will act like a air brake and loss of gas mileage and bad aerodynamic, but I haven’t notice any of those, I like the way it looks and to me that’s all that matters.
Old 09-14-2020, 02:50 PM
msedaka
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey LamboMike58 -

IMO that spoiler looks great! I'm considering it for my 2017 Ice Blue Metallic Cabriolet. Are you still happy with it? Did you install it yourself and, if so, how (tape or bolts)?

Thanks!

2017 Ice Blue Metallic 991.2
Old 09-15-2020, 12:04 AM
911CSC
Pro

Received 358 Likes on 186 Posts

OEM Sport Design

If you want that clean look

The following users liked this post:
Wrtflyr (09-15-2020)
Old 09-15-2020, 12:44 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by 911CSC
OEM Sport Design

If you want that clean look

Does the OEM Sport Design spoiler raise the same heights as the 'normal' spoiler? Or is there programming to have it raise to a different height?

Quick Reply: 991.2 C2S What are my rear spoiler options? Wheels?