Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO 2013 C2S, 6800 miles, 2 owners Opinions please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 07:52 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 911seeker
????? don't think so...
Absolutely. The ONLY time you get CPO warranty is if you bought a car from a dealer that they had certified. It is NOT valid from a private party sale.

Correction: Maybe my wording is off. The CPO is transferable to new owner, you just can't get it if its bought from private party.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:56 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
CPO is only valid from purchases from dealer and at the time of purchase. You lose the warranty if the car is bought through private party. Dealer can't buy a CPO car and re-sell the car to allow a new owner to 'continue' the CPO warranty. The dealer doesn't really 're-certify' but rather attempt to certify prior to selling to someone...they can certify a car if its under 8 year / 100k miles and other restrictions.

Its valid for 2 years for a car certified prior to sale at a dealer. In short, this car will have 2 years of warranty to anyone who buys it.

If a car still has factory warranty, the additional 2 years of CPO warranty starts when the original factory warranty duration ends. This basically means you get 6 years from the date the new car warranty started (date in service).

It cost 26xx for dealers (up from 23xx) since Jan 2018, but now you get unlimited miles instead of 100k. The unlimited miles is kind of a gimmick because if you buy a 2 year old car with 20k miles, its highly unlikely you'll put an additional 80k in 4 years unless you drive a lot (20k+ per year). Same if you buy a low mileage car, you're not going to exceed 100k in 2 years.

Part of the restrictions on dealers making a car CPO is it must have had all maintenance work done at dealer. If someone bought a new car and had their first oil change done at indy shop, then dealer wouldn't be able to CPO it later. You can't have after market parts on it and plenty of other restrictions...I received the CPO report on my car today and it is a lot of checks. There is a bit of trust involved the dealer did actually check everything and not just tick the box pass...I don't see why they wouldn't, but apparently some here claim their CPO car had things on it that shouldn't have passed.

There is so much fake news here I don't know where to start!!

Name:  photo728.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  756.6 KB
Old 06-11-2018, 07:57 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

mintrhal, either you work for Porsche and know better than anyone in this forum or you are wrong and spreading misinformation...
Old 06-11-2018, 07:59 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911seeker
mintrhal, either you work for Porsche and know better than anyone in this forum or you are wrong and spreading misinformation...

Seriously, he should just stop posting. So many falsehoods there its laughable.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:00 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Seriously, he should just stop posting. So many falsehoods there its laughable.
I was trying to be less direct...
Old 06-11-2018, 08:02 PM
STG
Race Director

Yeah, he's being ZERO help and just confusing everyone. Please just see yourself out the door.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:06 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Longest "help me make a purchase decision" thread ever
Old 06-11-2018, 08:07 PM
minthral
Pro

What is false about my CPO post?

Forget it.. this getting off topic.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:08 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbmd
Should I have the dealer check the COVs before purchase since they commonly fail?
I doubt so. COV just die without warning
Old 06-11-2018, 08:16 PM
STG
Race Director

What is false about my CPO post?
I don't even know where to start. Don't have time to correct all the BS.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:17 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by visitador
I doubt so. COV just die without warning

Correct. Nothing to check. They replace if they fail.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:29 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG
I don't even know where to start. Don't have time to correct all the BS.
Ok I am patient today: CPO starts with the dealer certifying a car is worth an extra two years. It does not need to be consecutive to the original four years new warranty, so long as it is under 8 years (correct STG?)

Once CPOed, the extra two years can pass through to another owner, either by private sale or sale by Porsche dealer. It cannot if sold by a non Porsche dealer.

A Porsche dealer can again CPO an already CPO car. So for example, a 2013 car can still be CPO today by a Porsche dealer even if original warranty ended in 2017. In my example, the CPO goes to 2020. If that car returns to a Porsche dealer, let's say for e.f 2019. It can be CPO again, so to 2022.

This is my own understanding and correct me if wrong
Old 06-11-2018, 08:33 PM
minthral
Pro

Originally Posted by visitador
Ok I am patient today: CPO starts with the dealer certifying a car is worth an extra two years. It does not need to be consecutive to the original four years new warranty, so long as it is under 8 years (correct STG?)

Once CPOed, the extra two years can pass through to another owner, either by private sale or sale by Porsche dealer. It cannot if sold by a non Porsche dealer.

A Porsche dealer can again CPO an already CPO car. So for example, a 2013 car can still be CPO today by a Porsche dealer even if original warranty ended in 2017. In my example, the CPO goes to 2020. If that car returns to a Porsche dealer, let's say for e.f 2019. It can be CPO again, so to 2022.

This is my own understanding and correct me if wrong
Yep that's exactly that I said.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:44 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Yep that's exactly that I said.
Maybe the confusion is that you are comparing a CPO extended warranty to an extended warranty sold by a third party company. Of course, a current owner cannot buy a CPO warranty, while he can buy an extended third party warranty
Old 06-11-2018, 08:57 PM
STG
Race Director

CPO is valid for 2 years for a car certified prior to sale at a dealer. In short, this car will have 2 years of warranty to anyone who buys it.

If a car still has factory warranty, the additional 2 years of CPO warranty starts when the original factory warranty duration ends. This basically means you get 6 years from the date the new car warranty started (date in service).

It cost 26xx for dealers (up from 23xx) since Jan 2018, but now you get unlimited miles instead of 100k. The unlimited miles is kind of a gimmick because if you buy a 2 year old car with 20k miles, its highly unlikely you'll put an additional 80k in 4 years unless you drive a lot (20k+ per year). Same if you buy a low mileage car, you're not going to exceed 100k in 2 years.

Part of the restrictions on dealers making a car CPO is it must have had all maintenance work done at dealer. If someone bought a new car and had their first oil change done at indy shop, then dealer wouldn't be able to CPO it later (per porsche doc, but not telling if dealer follows that). You can't have aftermarket parts on it and plenty of other restrictions (part of checklist)...I received the CPO report on my car today and it is a lot of checks. There is a bit of trust involved the dealer did actually check everything and not just tick the box pass...I don't see why they wouldn't, but apparently some here claim their CPO car had things on it that shouldn't have passed.

EDIT: removed statement about private party sale (CPO is transferable)

First oil change not done at Porsche dealer and can't be CPO'd? >> FALSE

All maintenance work only done at Porsche dealer in order to CPO?? >> FALSE

You also said a Porsche dealer cannot pass along a CPO if an incoming one has one? >> FALSE

Quick Reply: CPO 2013 C2S, 6800 miles, 2 owners Opinions please.