Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know, ballpark, how long brake pads last?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2018 | 07:13 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

45K on the original pads/rotors for my 2014 991.1. Included a lot of back road driving and countless near ABS braking on the Autobahn above 150 mph when someone pulls into the left lane on you for about 2.5 years of driving over there. Happened once at 190+ mph and I was on them hard and felt pulsing...stopped in time to avoid nastiness. Can't believe how perfectly straight the car slows at those speeds and never felt spongy. That being said, I am just waiting for the light to come on. Dealer says it's getting close.
Old 06-05-2018 | 07:36 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Remember that on the models with PTV (torque vectoring) and its usage of the rear brakes, if you spend a lot of time driving hard in the twisties the back pads have been observed to wear just as fast as the fronts (or faster if you are really pushing it???).

Also, you don't really have to measure the thickness of the front rotors. Along the edge some of the "holes" are not drilled all of the way through and are wear indicators. Once they disappear the rotor is under spec.
The following users liked this post:
regajohn (02-01-2024)
Old 06-06-2018 | 02:10 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by StormRune
Also, you don't really have to measure the thickness of the front rotors. Along the edge some of the "holes" are not drilled all of the way through and are wear indicators. Once they disappear the rotor is under spec.
Thanks -- didn't know this.
Old 06-06-2018 | 02:13 PM
911seeker
Pro

I have been told Porsche "recommends" or "requires" changing the rotors together with the pads... BS?
Old 06-06-2018 | 02:31 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by 911seeker
I have been told Porsche "recommends" or "requires" changing the rotors together with the pads... BS?
Correct
Old 06-08-2018 | 07:57 PM
HD2pct
Pro

If your rotors look pristine and have tons of meat on them, but you need pads, something is odd. Porsche engineers have this all figured out.It makes sense to not have to be on several different brake schedules.

As for wear, I'm sure many P-car drivers get exceptional mileage on brakes. On the average road trip, good drivers apply brakes about a tenth as often as the average driver.
Old 06-08-2018 | 08:50 PM
911seeker
Pro

Originally Posted by HD2pct
As for wear, I'm sure many P-car drivers get exceptional mileage on brakes. On the average road trip, NON-RENNLIST drivers apply brakes about a tenth as often as the average RENNLIST driver.
FIFY

Old 06-08-2018 | 10:36 PM
HD2pct
Pro

FIFY

I understand that it's your first performance machine, which is great.

Do you really think that having to apply the brakes more frequently in normal driving indicates that you are a great driver? Please explain how applying the brake very frequently in everyday driving indicates that you know what you are doing.

Just trying to learn from the experts!.
Old 06-09-2018 | 12:45 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Rotors are considered disposable items, same as brake pads. On a car of this caliber and expense, you should either re-surface or replace the rotors with a new set of pads. You want a fresh mating surface for the new pads.
Old 06-09-2018 | 12:50 AM
Alagar
8th Gear

I'm just coming up on 80k miles on my 2013 CS and am still on the original pads. The miles were predominately from my daily commute to work through Houston's rush hour traffic, 30 miles each way. I do tend to use engine/transmission braking though, but do also like to brake late and hard for sharp turns.
Old 06-09-2018 | 02:22 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
Rotors are considered disposable items, same as brake pads. On a car of this caliber and expense, you should either re-surface or replace the rotors with a new set of pads. You want a fresh mating surface for the new pads.
Absolutely this. Don't skimp on getting flat surfaces.
Many moons ago I would spend miles and miles "bedding in" new pads on old discs (rotors) on a rally car to get them to work.
Old 06-09-2018 | 09:33 AM
911seeker
Pro

Originally Posted by HD2pct
I understand that it's your first performance machine, which is great.

Do you really think that having to apply the brakes more frequently in normal driving indicates that you are a great driver? Please explain how applying the brake very frequently in everyday driving indicates that you know what you are doing.

Just trying to learn from the experts!.
WOW, nice!... honestly, seems to me it is you who has an elaborate theory you want to share on this, too bad I am not really interested in hearing it. I'm just curious on how many performance machines do I need to own to understand the mystic dynamics of braking / cease using the car brakes / start braking with my mind, in your opinion? No, wait, not interested either.
Old 06-10-2018 | 02:21 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

FWIW, I am not going to throw out rotors if they are within spec. I do not skimp in the slightest on maintenance (I do it all myself), but I also do not see the upside in throwing money at cars. The rotors have a thickness spec from Porsche, and so long as mine are within it, they will remain on the car. There is no need to change pads and rotors together.
moxie (SF) (01-25-2022)
Old 06-10-2018 | 09:13 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Churchill
FWIW, I am not going to throw out rotors if they are within spec. I do not skimp in the slightest on maintenance (I do it all myself), but I also do not see the upside in throwing money at cars. The rotors have a thickness spec from Porsche, and so long as mine are within it, they will remain on the car. There is no need to change pads and rotors together.
Like you, I do my own wrench turning and like you - I won't automatically replace rotors within spec. However you should remove them and take them to an independent shop and have them turned on the brake lathe so you have a fresh, flat clamping surface. Putting new pads on a used rotor which will have ridges in it means the pads have to adapt to those existing ridges and that can usually mean brake squeal due to the vibrations or less that ideal pad wear.
boxsterisgood (12-11-2021)
Old 12-07-2020 | 09:28 PM
Daniel Guerrera
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Churchill
I'm going to be removing calipers and pads to apply anti-squeal paste. Can't take the squealing anymore. My car (an S), has 47K and the pads were last done by the PO at 28K. Is 20K around the typical service life of these? And does anyone have a thickness spec for S rotors?
my break wear indicator came on at 19.5K

Quick Reply: Anyone know, ballpark, how long brake pads last?