991.1 GTS winter - only car

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 09:46 PM
pewpewpew3000
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
The chatter you hear is the Ackermann Effect

FWIW, I wouldn't DD a nice car like a GTS in Boston because of salt. For days after it snows you're driving through wet, salty conditions that bathe your car in salt, and it takes its toll after a couple of winters. Shame to do to a nice car, and will be terrible for resale. The kind of people who want a 991 GTS won't go near a salt car. I certainly wouldn't.
This is actually super helpful advice. My biggest anxiety about it is taking a massive $30k-$40k wash on it in a few years in case I decide to sell it.

I loved the way it drove but I am thinking a C4S manual with PSE and PASM would be close enough and cheaper. Those are super hard to find.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:58 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

My wife DD’s her MT 991S. We have a set of winter wheels and tires and the Macan for ‘snow plow’ days.

This was her decision. We both know that a) we’ll loose a significant chunk of change due to salt if she gets rid of it and b) that there will, eventually, be non-trivially expensive out-of-warranty repairs due to salt corrosion of various bits under the car if she doesn’t,

Driving around Boston in the winter halves the expected life of a car.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:10 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

I DD my 991.1 GTS cab in So Cal. Yes, no winter weather conditions to deal with here but we have our own driving stressors - crappy roads, crappy drivers and soul sucking traffic. That being said, I could not be happier with my GTS as a DD. It will be $100,000 very well spent.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:44 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tse
I have a .1 C2 here in southern Ontario and drive it year round with 19" Alpin PA4s.

Pretty good performance tire for cold roads, adequate in light snow.
You drive it w/ winter tires in the summer? What about days w/ heavy snow?

OP, as long as the GTS has AWD and you don't need the ground clearance, you should be good to go.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:48 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Since you walk to work, GTS with all seasons will be fine as long as you skip driving when there’s snow on the ground. Driving on snow you need legit winter tires preferably with pins.

Yeah, you maybe get a bit of corrosion on the suspension and exhaust components, but it’s a mostly aluminum car with plastic underbody panels. Spray it underneath every once in awhile and any hit you might take is going to be less than the cost of having a second car.
Old 06-03-2018, 10:53 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial
OP, as long as the GTS has AWD and you don't need the ground clearance, you should be good to go.
AWD makes zero difference when it really matters, which is when you need to STOP. Tires are where you make your money in the snow. I see Jeeps, Hummers, etc wreck all the time at Tahoe because they think they’re fine because of what vehicle they have and just leave regular tires on.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:15 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,203 Likes on 726 Posts

You drive it w/ winter tires in the summer? What about days w/ heavy snow?
Good catch but only in the winter.

Having said that the Alpins sometimes feel superior to the pzeros...

On days with the slushy/greasy covered roads traction is poor,in heavy snow clearance becomes the issue.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:54 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by Dewinator

AWD makes zero difference when it really matters, which is when you need to STOP. Tires are where you make your money in the snow. I see Jeeps, Hummers, etc wreck all the time at Tahoe because they think they’re fine because of what vehicle they have and just leave regular tires on.
Winter tires are absolutely necessary and a RWD car w/ winters will perform better than an AWD car w/ all seasons. I would say that AWD w/ winter tires would be ideal, but AWD definitely not absolutely necessary. Personal experience: dad crashed Range Rover w/ all seasons into a lamppost during the winter. Got a Cayenne to replace w/ winter tires.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:55 PM
Andial
Banned

Originally Posted by tse
Good catch but only in the winter.

Having said that the Alpins sometimes feel superior to the pzeros...

On days with the slushy/greasy covered roads traction is poor,in heavy snow clearance becomes the issue.
That is what put me off buying the Mercedes-Benz E Wagon. The ice storm this April, saw a Panamera spinning its wheels and going nowhere. Could have already switched back to all seasons, but definitely an AWD car.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:03 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

I daily drive my 991.1 GTS including the past 4 winters and not a problem... having used both the Sottozeros (briefly) and the PA4 I would recommend the latter, wasn't happy with the Pirelli in snow/slush whereas the Michelin are rock solid. As others have wisely stated winter tires are mandatory for cold weather but otherwise the car is a champ in the cold/snow, likely the best sporty car I've driven in winter too.

I do however raise up my suspension (KW H.A.S. kit) so that helps a bit with ground clearance... first couple of winters without it was fine too,
Old 06-04-2018, 06:14 PM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,203 Likes on 726 Posts

That is what put me off buying the Mercedes-Benz E Wagon. The ice storm this April, saw a Panamera spinning its wheels and going nowhere. Could have already switched back to all seasons, but definitely an AWD car.
You're probably correct on the Panny having switched tires, 4 pucks are no better than 2...
Old 06-04-2018, 10:31 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by pewpewpew3000
This is actually super helpful advice. My biggest anxiety about it is taking a massive $30k-$40k wash on it in a few years in case I decide to sell it.

I loved the way it drove but I am thinking a C4S manual with PSE and PASM would be close enough and cheaper. Those are super hard to find.
I spent six years in a Boston-like environment with a couple of different 911's that I wanted to keep out of the salt bath. In my case there were only around 15-20 total days a winter (a few days at a time) when roads were wet and salty. It was few enough that for me it worked to just not drive on those days and take the subway or uber instead. I don't know how many wet + salt days you get in Boston, but it's really no harm to drive on salt residue roads that are dry. It's the bath you want to avoid.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:35 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

... but it's really no harm to drive on salt residue roads that are dry.
On dry salty roads you will get dry salt on the ‘bottom’ of the car (on a 911: suspension, lower 1/2 of the engine, all the stuff inside the front bumper cover.) Come next spring and some rain sprinkles - or even just moisture in the air - and you’ve got a wet, salty mix.

Unless, of course, your garage has an automotive Bidet.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:08 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

Lots of silly advice above.

1. Car is made in Germany to be driven year round. Manufacturer sells dedicated snow tires. Does it snow in Germany?

2. Most car washes have undercarriage cleaning systems.

3. Lots of cheap people here, if you are going to spend the money on the car, spend some on dedicated winter tires, accident can cost far more.

As for worrying about resale, I think this quote applies to Porsche also:

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Jim Glickenhaus (Ferrari Collector)

Old 06-05-2018, 04:32 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

If you're not going to be driving on snow/ice, you don't need snow tires. For real. The treads are designed for grip on snow/ice, not cold pavement. For cold pavement, you could get a set of all-seasons for the winter months, or (what I would do) just drive on summer tires. I did a couple of NE winters driving on clean, cold roads with summer tires. They don't grip in the cold like they do in summer, so just dial it back a little. Or enjoy the low-speed power slides.
Please don't spread that stuff around here. Fortunately most people here know better but there might be a few that will believe you.
Daily driver in winter around Boston. ....AWD and 4 winter tires would be awesome.

Quick Reply: 991.1 GTS winter - only car