Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried Opti-coat Fabric/Leather coating for 991 (Leather Interior)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 07:33 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 317 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Anyone tried Opti-coat Fabric/Leather coating for 991 (Leather Interior)?

Supposed to act like PPF but for leather/fabric interior bits.

Has anyone tried and liked it / disliked it?

Is it worth the money? (Around $600)

And, for 991, is it recommended to do undercoating spray job if I live in NE area of US? (Where it snows a lot and people spray salt all over the road) - Not that I'm gonna drive the car during the winter but I'm pretty sure some salt residue will definitely get on the car once spring comes and snow melts.

Thank you.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:50 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,386 Likes on 1,539 Posts

Waste of money. Finished leather (which is painted and in your Porsche) doesn't need or benefit from it. You will do far better cleaning and conditioning your leather 3 x a year.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:35 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts

+1 on leather conditioner instead of coatings. Replenishing the oils in finished leather is proven, the leather will last the life of the car and beyond. I have tried quite a few of these products and prefer the Wolfgang and Mothers leather conditioners over Lexol. The Mothers product gets my vote just because it is easy to apply, does not leave you with a sticky finish that you need to wipe down, and a little will cover a lot of surface area, which makes it a great value when you look at the price relative to more expensive options.

https://www.autogeek.net/mo6312.html
Old 06-03-2018, 02:58 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by drcollie
Waste of money. Finished leather (which is painted and in your Porsche) doesn't need or benefit from it. You will do far better cleaning and conditioning your leather 3 x a year.
Originally Posted by jnolan
+1 on leather conditioner instead of coatings. Replenishing the oils in finished leather is proven, the leather will last the life of the car and beyond. I have tried quite a few of these products and prefer the Wolfgang and Mothers leather conditioners over Lexol. The Mothers product gets my vote just because it is easy to apply, does not leave you with a sticky finish that you need to wipe down, and a little will cover a lot of surface area, which makes it a great value when you look at the price relative to more expensive options.

https://www.autogeek.net/mo6312.html

Thank you sire...

So basically don't waste money on coating and just get high quality leather cleaner and conditioner? Is this DIY-able I assume?

Btw, any opinion on undercoating for 991 generation? Worth it? Waste of money?
Old 06-03-2018, 04:41 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend
Thank you sire...

So basically don't waste money on coating and just get high quality leather cleaner and conditioner? Is this DIY-able I assume?

Btw, any opinion on undercoating for 991 generation? Worth it? Waste of money?
I live in the Bay Area where rust just isn’t even a consideration unless you live on the coast. From what I have read, there are some persistent issues with corrosion on 911s, I’d probably go for some extra protection if I lived in a winter climate.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:53 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jnolan

I live in the Bay Area where rust just isn’t even a consideration unless you live on the coast. From what I have read, there are some persistent issues with corrosion on 911s, I’d probably go for some extra protection if I lived in a winter climate.
thank you. Lucky to be in west coast
Old 06-04-2018, 11:11 AM
KM1959
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I'd agree for dark interiors but not if you have very light-colored seats/carpets. We had Opti-Coat on a car with white leather seats and even after two years there were no dye stains (think: blue jeans) anywhere. Not so for a friend who decided it was a "Waste of money".

There is a lot of profit for the installer so there is bargaining room.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried Opti-coat Fabric/Leather coating for 991 (Leather Interior)?