Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPF in LA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 11:41 AM
GraSox
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

As others have said Moe is the best of the best! People have their cars shipped to him a lot of times because he is so good. You’re only 2 1/2 hours away, worth the drive. AND he has loaner cars. Stay the night and enjoy the OC! You won’t regret it!
Enjoy your new car.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:12 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,872 Likes on 5,182 Posts

This may not be a popular opinion but I think one has the consider how they plan to use their car, and how long they plan to keep their car, before going to someone like Moe.

I say say this because even though Moe does a fine job he is expensive and before someone plunks down 4, maybe even 5, figures on PPF one needs to think about a few things first.

1. Is the car going to be a daily? Or will it see semi-regular track duty? If the latter, I would seriously suggest finding someone a bit more cost effective because you’re going to be replacing parts, if not all, of the PPF probably annually. I know, from personal experience. But If it’s a daily then it might be a different story, but see point 2 below.

2. How long do you plan to keep the car? Even if it is keeper personally I’d like to have the car rewrapped with new sheets of film probably after 3 years. I don’t care how good the install is and what type or brand of film is being used, if you’re **** enough you’ll want a new condom on your car after X number of years. (And for many the X will be about 3 years depending on factors like how and where you drive and park the car as well as where you live).

So all of that said, if you’re going to invest a significant chunk of change on PPF just keep in mind some of the factors mentioned here
Old 06-02-2018, 04:32 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

As others had said Moe is probably the best in California and perhaps one of the top in the country. He did my 911 last fall, and it came out very good, just had my wife’s m4 done also. Yes he is more expensive, but I did not feel like gambling somewhere else for 20%. Now I am no doubt Moe’s most demanding client or at least in the top 5, trust me, just ask him. Remember nothing is perfect, but I think he is going to come as close to that mark as possible. The other thing to take into consideration is after sale service, Moe has a solid reputation and he is not going to risk it by not taking care of any issues. People always forget that one of the most important signs of a quality company is how they act when something goes wrong. Remember it’s all smiles and high fives right after the work is done and they get paid and you drive off. How things go down the road when a problem arises is what separates good from outstanding. I am sure there are other good vendors out there but Moe has an attention to detail that is above most, he is not perfect, but there is no perfect, only the pursuit of trying to reach perfection. As with most people I try to spend my $$ wisely, I hate spending $4-5k on PPF, but the reality is modern paints suck, there is too much crap on the roads and too many cars, at least in SoCa. I am so glad our cars are protected. I HATE, paint chips, they actually make looking at the car painful to me, so PPF is mandatory for me. YMMV
Old 06-03-2018, 02:35 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
This may not be a popular opinion but I think one has the consider how they plan to use their car, and how long they plan to keep their car, before going to someone like Moe.

+2

I wanted my front bumper, hood, front fenders, mirrors, and A-pillars protected, mainly for resale value/peace of mind. My 991 is a daily driver, not a show car. I had it done for $1,500. It's a perfectly good install, but isn't going to win any PPF competitions.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:55 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

I live in Vegas and take my car to Moe for PPF and detailing. Good luck with your search.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:14 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the input. I checked in with Moe and have left a message for Evan at Pacific Auto Films (is he even in business any longer?) - emails bounce and there is no website. I left him a voicemail.. I also was able to get a reply from Bain Mendoza from Doza Designs- he was highly regarded a couple of years ago on Rennlist, and he still seems to be doing some high end work at some of the exotic dealerships around here.

Moe quotes about $1K higher than Bain, his perfectionism and reputation is definitely to be respected, and he's probably worth the extra coin. They both use bulk material, Suntek Ultra, they both disassemble to wrap. Surprised that Moe stated that he would be filming the headlights- that's been known to cause some problems on 991 headlights down the line from reading on here. A nod to Bain for pointing that out to me on his own without me having to bring it up. Bain will also travel to me, so I have that piece of mind of being able to walk out to the garage and bug him if I want to.

Would love to hear back from Evan to see what he has to say, but am leaning toward Bain Mendoza. Like a couple others have pointed out- my car is a daily driver and I mainly want the protection factor without it being a hack job. If the PPF gets damaged, I'd rather replace it a couple of times knowing I didn't waste a fortune on it.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:39 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 760 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by mreloc
I did a search but didn't come up with many results... looking for an excellent PPF installer. Since LA is a broad market, with lots of hassles to getting around, would like to find someone on the West side if possible. I ping'd Bain Mendoza of Doza Designs who came highly recommended - but I'm not getting a reply from him so don't know if he's still in the biz or not.. Anyone have recommendations?
bain is a great installer and doing work mobile, he would be on top of my list to call.

as you’ve already mentioned, and so have others, it all comes down to what is VALUE to YOU.

The common theme to ALL the rave reviews about me and the work we do at GP is EVERY client that has chimed in, is in fact a perfectionist. They truly know what they’re looking for and pay attention to the smallest detail. That is VALUE to THEM.

I’m humbled and honored that many regard us highly in Southern California. That’s not by accident and it has taken me over two decades to get here but I never did it for the money or the acknowledgment...just ask my family or employees.

i started GP because I didn’t see anyone else bringing a product like this to the end consumer...and who is the model consumer for GP...some of you know, but for those that don’t, I modeled this business after ME. What product and experience would I want to be a part of if I had a Porsche and wanted things done.

Well, that’s why those that do business with us know, just tell Moe what you want, he’ll filter it down to the smallest detail, and you’ll have a custom project scope unique to YOU...then just hand him the key, and enjoy the ride.

as I write this, I’m here at the body shop on my fifth trip today, checking on my projects and approving color matches, of which, is something PECLA has trusted us with direct from porsche.

It’s the small touches like that, gentleman, that differentiates us...not just the clear bra installs, nano coatings, tint jobs, etc.

WE are here to serve you and provide an experience unmatched in marketplace. And we have fun doing it too.

Last edited by MoeMistry; 06-05-2018 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:47 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 760 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

I say say this because even though Moe does a fine job he is expensive and before someone plunks down 4, maybe even 5, figures on PPF one needs to think about a few things first.

1. Is the car going to be a daily? Or will it see semi-regular track duty? If the latter, I would seriously suggest finding someone a bit more cost effective because you’re going to be replacing parts, if not all, of the PPF probably annually. I know, from personal experience. But If it’s a daily then it might be a different story, but see point 2 below.

2. How long do you plan to keep the car? Even if it is keeper personally I’d like to have the car rewrapped with new sheets of film probably after 3 years. I don’t care how good the install is and what type or brand of film is being used, if you’re **** enough you’ll want a new condom on your car after X number of years. (And for many the X will be about 3 years depending on factors like how and where you drive and park the car as well as where you live).

So all of that said, if you’re going to invest a significant chunk of change on PPF just keep in mind some of the factors mentioned here
you make a valid point and hence as part of my introductory sales call, one of the first questions I ask is did you purchase the car, opposed to lease, and do you plan on keeping it more than a few years.

as any responsible professional should do, I size up the client and make sure I’m doing what’s in their best interest. I believe by that approach, relationships are formed and respect/trust in marketplace is earned.

We provide VALUE...at $2450 for a prep, FULL front installation WITH wrapped edges, and rear bumper edge, that’s an amazing value.

i don’t know if too many shops that actually disassemble the front bumper on a 991.2 to achieve near perfect wrapped edges on fender edges and bumper edges where the two are joined.

also, many shy away from one of the most important installation areas...headlights.

but ALL the above, and a nano spray sealant as a protection for the film, is part of our normal front end installation.

Our work is is meant to be seen from an inch away, not a few feet.

so, yes, we can do the high 4-figure or 5-figure installation if a client desires, but our bread and butter is the quality full front and extended side rockers that are of excellent value and protection and can be redone in a few years if so desired without breaking the bank.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:19 PM
armanslr
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 122 Posts

I just went through the search for a qualify PPF installer in the SoCal area. I just bought a Panamera GTS and wanted to get a full wrap, and after countless hours of research and getting quotes from multiple PPF installers, this is what I learned.

For a full install of Xpel Stealth or Suntek Ultra Matte you are looking at 6K on the low range (non custom install, no parts removed such as headlights or emblems, and very little prep work) to up to 10K (semi-full custom, parts removed, and prep work to ensure the best qualify paint prior to install) I always try to stretch my buck, but I decided to go with Moe at Glistening Perfection and even though his quote is about ~1500 more expensive then other quality installers, the value was quite clear to me which made the decision easy. If it was a 50% increase in price, then I would have a harder time justifying the extra cost, but when you compare the cost vs other top installers, with all the extra labor and level of precision that Moe and his team preform, you are getting value for your money IMHO.

If I were you, I would make a trip down to Moe at his shop and I am positive you will be blown away by how professional and clean his operation is.
Old 06-06-2018, 04:51 PM
basic666
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

At end of the day... how worth it is it to spend 1/10th the cost of your car to have it fully wrapped? I assume this also has to be reapplied every 5 years or so?

Sounds like a lot of money being thrown around...
Old 06-06-2018, 05:00 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

From what I've seen, full frontal install plus mirrors and a few bits isn't anywhere near 6K - even with the most expensive film. More like a 1/3 of that price, even with wrapped edges. Full body wrap really isn't what I'm after, but I thought that would be somewhere in the 4K range..
Old 06-06-2018, 05:06 PM
armanslr
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by mreloc
From what I've seen, full frontal install plus mirrors and a few bits isn't anywhere near 6K - even with the most expensive film. More like a 1/3 of that price, even with wrapped edges. Full body wrap really isn't what I'm after, but I thought that would be somewhere in the 4K range..
Sorry I was quoting my prices on full body wraps. I did get a few quotes on full front and with non-matte film most installs were around 2K.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:24 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 592 Posts

I have used Xact Window Tinting in Ontario California. Right across from them is MK Auto Detail, the best detailer I've ever used. They clean things up then hand off the car to Luis at Xact. They've done my ferrari, two Porsches,and my Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio.

Great quality and excellent prices. Xact is 909-605-2070 and MK Auto Detail is 909-974-0444
Old 06-08-2018, 01:25 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 592 Posts

I have used Xact Window Tinting in Ontario California. Right across from them is MK Auto Detail, the best detailer I've ever used. They clean things up then hand off the car to Luis at Xact. They've done my ferrari, two Porsches,and my Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio.

Great quality and excellent prices. Xact is 909-605-2070 and MK Auto Detail is 909-974-0444
Old 06-08-2018, 01:42 PM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drove my '18 GTS directly to Moe's shop on delivery day from Torrance to Costa Mesa. From my home in Chatsworth to Costa Mesa is 74 mi. On pick up day, I arranged for a Saturday pick up . Took the train and "uber'd" to Glistening Perfection. A fun and easy trip!
The 2 hour plus drive home on the 405 was pure pleasure! Moe is a perfectionist, don't let the drive or distance persuade you.

Quick Reply: PPF in LA?