Sponsored by:

Thoughts on a reasonable price

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 05:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by mreloc
Well to close this out, I was able to negotiate the price down to $125K without CPO, and CPO would take it to $128K. Given it has 3.5 years of original warranty, I decided I wasn't getting enough value out of the CPO to warrant the spend (no new tires, etc.), and the dealer is performing the 2 year service anyway to do the brake fluid and oil. Nice surprise is that the mileage is actually 180 (less than what they advertised) and the DME report showed only 1 ignition in Range 1. Car was never titled, so I'll be the original owner.

I'm pretty excited and me and the wife are jumping in the car for a 5 hour ride to Monterey to pick up tomorrow. Nice how this has fallen in place so far

Thanks everyone for their input. It helped.

Great news. I'd suggest the CPO. Would transfer in a private sale, so good selling point or hopefully you have the car a long time. Try and get it down to $2K. Dealer isn't losing $$, and still getting the car sale. Best and cheapest warranty you can get.

Regardless, not end of the world. Enjoy the purchase.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:39 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 133 Posts

Congrats! Nice job and a beautiful ride!
Old 05-25-2018, 05:48 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Great news. I'd suggest the CPO. Would transfer in a private sale, so good selling point or hopefully you have the car a long time. Try and get it down to $2K. Dealer isn't losing $$, and still getting the car sale. Best and cheapest warranty you can get.
I would definitely CPO for $2k, however the dealer claimed that Porsche moved from $2.5K to $3K for their CPO fees at the beginning of the year. I already felt like I beat him up fairly well on the price reduction so I decided to stop struggling and likely will put the $$ into a decent PPF instead.. hopefully will help with resale, too.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:53 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 404 Posts

Great car and very good price. Congratulations and have fun.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:35 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 440 Likes on 234 Posts

That's my car in coupe form. I love my color combo and manual trans. Enjoy it!
Old 05-28-2018, 11:44 AM
mreloc
Pro

My wife is a photographer and snapped this pic of me headed back home to LA from Monterey this past Saturday. I guess we were doing about 80 at this point so I chastised her a bit for using her camera (no, it's not a iPhone pic) while driving but I loved how she captured the split in highway surfaces. The second shot is me chasing her in her GTI (God love her - she is 61 and still drives a stick)

The delivery experience could have been much better. It didn't take an eagle eye to see some cosmetic things that the salesman didn't disclose when I'd asked him about them on the phone- a tiny bit of curb rash on a rim, a chip in the paint on the rear bumper, and a scuff mark on a seat bolster that will hopefully be re-storable. Made me a little sad (ok, I was pissed) but it was a 180-mile demo, after all and I've gotten over it. I've documented the issues with the dealer and they've promised to back me up as I'll be getting the issues fixed here locally. Also, both headlights are beginning to delaminate at the top- which is shocking for a new-ish car but I guess was a result of the car sitting for the past year and half in the weather. Ugh. I'll be taking it to Porsche Downtown LA to address these under warranty. All-in, I'm still very happy with my choice.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:05 PM
tvad
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's ridiculous damage for a car with 210 miles. I'd have been pissed and would have immediately walked, regardless of the distance to Monterey.

I recently had a similar experience at a So Cal dealership. Negotiated a deal by email for a 2016 CPO 991.2. Drove to inspect/drive the car. Upon inspection, the condition was not what I expected nor as described. I didn't even test drive the car.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:29 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 634 Likes on 404 Posts

It is an unreasonable amount of mostly minor stuff on what is practically a new car. Not looked after and was treated rough in its 180 miles. Sad to see this. But it all can be fixed and the car has nice options.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:10 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 133 Posts

OP. Sorry to hear about your frustrations on pick up. Too bad so many dealer don’t give s sh@t once they get your loot. ( ask me how I know). Anyway I’m interested in why your headlights are delaminating? I was under the impression this only happened when PPF was installed and the installer pulled the lights out to cover ?
Old 05-28-2018, 09:27 PM
mreloc
Pro

OP. Sorry to hear about your frustrations on pick up. Too bad so many dealer don’t give s sh@t once they get your loot. ( ask me how I know). Anyway I’m interested in why your headlights are delaminating? I was under the impression this only happened when PPF was installed and the installer pulled the lights out to cover ?
I call it a "high quality problem" If I look at the big picture- I was planning to buy pre-owned anyway- something with several thousand miles from a prior owner would probably have some stories to tell, too. I've been looking for awhile, and this one checked all the boxes for me (full leather including dash and doors, Burmester, and then some..) and was sold to me for a pretty decent discount and 3.5 years of warranty remaining. Many used ones I've looked at with miles and fewer options were selling for about the same coin. The dealership manager replied to my email to him confirming my concerns, and should be calling me tomorrow to sort everything out, hopefully without me having to go ballistic.

I don't get the delaminating headlights. There was no protective film and the symptoms usually present a little differently I think. The paint condition of the car is as new, so maybe Porsche had a bad batch of the black housing LEDs? I keep cars in a garage at home and at work, so the replacement units should hold up fine, I'd hope.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on a reasonable price