Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Phone Box

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018 | 07:13 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Originally Posted by Hurricane
So it is already "built-into" the car? So you just need to activate it?
I got the same package - mine is a 2018 C2S.

It's in reference to the compartment in the center console that supposedly boosts cell phone reception if the phone is in the console on the rubber mat. I don't believe it actually requires activation. I think the warning is just that - a warning required by the FCC.
Old 05-22-2018 | 07:29 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
I am a bit confused. My cellular provider (Verizon) has activated the booster (Porsche Phone Box) but I have not yet contacted ATT.

[1] What services has Verizon's activation of the Porsche Phone Box booster gained for me?

[2] If I get the ATT SIM card, what services will that get me?
[1] It doesn't get you any services, just a booster for when you keep a phone in the center console.

[2] The only service I can find is a WiFi hotspot, which isn't really any of the Porsche Connect services. Even if it fed the Connect+ services, why would you need it when Connect+ services includes the necessary internet connection via the embedded sim?
Old 05-22-2018 | 08:00 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

Is there an embedded SIM or must I get it (from Porsche) and activate it (through ATT)?

Note: I have a strong prejudice against ATT as a result of their incredible incompetence when they were the sole carrier for the original iPhone.
Old 05-22-2018 | 11:11 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
Is there an embedded SIM or must I get it (from Porsche) and activate it (through ATT)?

Note: I have a strong prejudice against ATT as a result of their incredible incompetence when they were the sole carrier for the original iPhone.
I have no idea what service the embedded sim uses. It gets activated through the signup process for the Connect+ services, as it is part of that package of services. They text you a pairing code to enter for activation. The internet connection is free along with the services for the first year, and if you renew the Connect+ services (Navigation & Infotainment) after the free period, The needed internet connection is included in the $189/year price. See below from the Porsche Connect Store:

Old 05-22-2018 | 11:26 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Sorry for the previous link.

Here's the picture:
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2018 | 09:30 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by alex_c
Sorry for the previous link.

Here's the picture:
Thanks for sharing the photo!
Old 05-23-2018 | 09:30 AM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Fascinating! Alex, thank you for posting the pic.
Old 11-07-2018 | 12:25 AM
Dan Rabinovitsj
1st Gear

Smile Easy online registration of your signal booster (Smartphone Compartment)

Hi Folks:
You can register your signal booster (the Porsche Smartphone Compartment) by using the info about the manufacturer, the model and serial number on the card that came in your Porsche welcome box (the grey box referred to in the thread below). This device boosts the antenna gain on your existing phone when it is in the compartment.

Here is the link if your mobile phone is on the AT&T network:
https://securec45.securewebsession.c...albooster.com/

Verizon customers can go here:
https://www.verizonwireless.com/solu...ignal-booster/

For a deeper understanding of signal boosters and why the FCC wants you to register, please check out this article:
https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/blo...complete-kits/
The following users liked this post:
P Fan (05-14-2021)
Old 11-07-2018 | 01:29 AM
marinb
Rennlist Member

I believe eSIM and Phone Box/Booster were new editions in 2018. Also because of the phone box, the storage space under the armrest is reduced compared to 2017.
Old 11-07-2018 | 01:32 AM
marinb
Rennlist Member

2018 changes highlighted here

Old 11-08-2018 | 01:28 PM
anythingbuttime
Pro

Off topic...but I was convinced I had wireless charging when I saw the logo under the armrest. Thank you for all of the info.
Old 03-08-2024 | 02:57 PM
oronymo
Racer

Wow.. i had NO idea that's what this is. I thought it was just "here's a place to put your phone" and was disappointed when it didn't provide wireless charging.

I have 991.2 2nd hand so I don't have this welcome box. Is there still a way to activate it? Does it cost money to use? Otherwise I'm thinking about ripping it out to get more space under the armrest...
Old 03-08-2024 | 03:22 PM
cbredesen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by oronymo
Wow.. i had NO idea that's what this is. I thought it was just "here's a place to put your phone" and was disappointed when it didn't provide wireless charging.

I have 991.2 2nd hand so I don't have this welcome box. Is there still a way to activate it? Does it cost money to use? Otherwise I'm thinking about ripping it out to get more space under the armrest...
TIL why my center armrest looks like that. I would love to have more room under there. Have you tried this surgery yet?

Quick Reply: Porsche Phone Box