Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Phone Box

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018 | 10:57 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
So apparently the stiff card that I described in my initial post in this thread was the FCC-required notification. At least, it included the language and even the exact capitalized punctuation specified in the FCC waiver letter provided by Hurricane.

Since Hurricane's new car came over on the same boat as mine -- the subject of a long thread a few months ago -- I wonder if he (or others) have received the same notification as I did and, if so, how was it provided?
I think alex_c posted the FCC info, not me.

I haven't received any package or notification yet. Curious about it, though!

So if I activate it, does it mean that the car will act like a signal booster for my Verizon phone? Or is it for the cellular signal for Connect Plus? In which case, since my car has the embedded SIM, which carrier is that? I don't have any relationship with AT&T, etc., and didn't need any sort of data plan to activate Connect Plus (sans hot spot, which seems to no longer be offered). So confusing.
Old 05-22-2018 | 11:01 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

I think it is just a legal procedure to register it. The device will work as described one way or another. Think of it as registering your drone with the FCC. It will fly regardless of registration, but it won't be legal
Old 05-22-2018 | 11:10 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by alex_c
I think it is just a legal procedure to register it. The device will work as described one way or another. Think of it as registering your drone with the FCC. It will fly regardless of registration, but it won't be legal
Ah! Good info!
Old 05-22-2018 | 11:17 AM
FI Flyer
Racer

Although Porsche initially pointed me to ATT, it turned out that the registration had to be done by Verizon which is my cellular provider. I'm not sure if they were just jumping through FCC hoops or if something was actually activated.
Old 05-22-2018 | 11:24 AM
Philip Goughary
Racer

Would you post a picture of the actual Phone Box / Compartment in the car for us? I'm very curious about this. Thank you!
Old 05-22-2018 | 11:40 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Philip Goughary
Would you post a picture of the actual Phone Box / Compartment in the car for us? I'm very curious about this. Thank you!
Here it is. It is inside the armrest compartment.

Attachment 1281857
Old 05-22-2018 | 11:43 AM
FI Flyer
Racer

Would you post a picture of the actual Phone Box / Compartment in the car for us?
I don't believe that it is visible or even easily accessible. The FCC letter for which the link was posted seemed to turn on that. In other words, the FCC wanted a label on the actual item but Porsche persuaded then to let them send out a notification since there was nothing for the consumer to see.
Old 05-22-2018 | 11:45 AM
FI Flyer
Racer

Here it is. It is inside the armrest compartment.

Attachment 1281857
The link did not work for me. I got an error message.
Old 05-22-2018 | 11:51 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by FI Flyer
The link did not work for me. I got an error message.
Same here
Old 05-22-2018 | 04:28 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

But what’s the purpose of the “signal booster”? I haven’t seen anyone complaining about poor cell reception in the car, including me. There’s really no other purpose for the chip?

DaveGee
Old 05-22-2018 | 04:29 PM
Stevie 77 930
Rennlist Member

I just got a nice gray box from Porsche that had a cover letter, a pen, a small book, a brochure and a gray plastic card with my name, the exact model of my new car and my VIN on it. There was also a stiff card titled "Porsche Phone Box-Equipped Vehicles (equipped with Connect or Connect Plus options)."

That card started by warning me that the Porsche Phone Box is subject to "the following requirements" of the FCC. But none were listed.

Next, it alerted me that "This is a CONSUMER device." which sent me back to the discarded packaging to look for the 'this' to which they were referring. But I found nothing more.

The next paragraph warned me that "BEFORE USE, you MUST REGISTER THIS DEVICE with your wireless provider and have your provider's consent." There was more but it didn't amount to much except that it made reference to signal boosters.

I called my sales person to ask about this but he had never heard of it. So I called 1-800-PORSCHE which tried to connect me to ATT (ugh!) but failed. So I called Verizon which is my actual cellular service provider. And they knew what was it was and what to do.

Basically, the Porsche Phone Box is a cell signal booster built into the car that has to be authorized and activated. The card that I received had the information required (in addition to my cell phone number): the manufacturer, the FCC ID, the model, and the serial number (which is the VIN.) With this information, he called the FCC and enabled the device.
I am posting this because I assume that if I was confused, others will also be. I still don't really know if my life will be improved by the Porsche Phone Box but at least I'll know what it is and that it is working.
If anyone knows more about this, please share.
I got the same box (twice) with all of the info described. I reached out to Porsche Connect and was greeted by a friendly and very knowledgeable consultant, Samie J. She explained to me the benefits and the features of the booster, She explained I needed to reach out to my cell carrier. Since I had her on the line, I asked Samie about the Porsche Connect WI-Fi services and said I needed a AT&T sim card to activate the service (she said even the 2018's needed the sim card). She kindly ordered the SIM card and it showed up the very next day. In the meantime, I reached out to Verizon to activate the booster. The Verizon consultant fully understood the process of activating the booster so that was pretty painless. Once I got the A T&T sim card I once again reached out to Porsche Connect to active the Wifi service. The consultant, knowledgeable and friendly. and i was guided to activate my sim card online at AT&T' s att.com/porsche site and within a few minutes my Wifi was activated and working. The wifi service is free for 90 days and provides just 3GB, but I now have a fully functional PCM unit providing all of the services designed into the unit.
Honestly, once the free trials run their course, I am not likely to renew much of these services as they are pretty redundant to my IPhone services, and I don't want to additionally for these features, I have decided to keep the XM service, as I like the programing much more than local radio.
Old 05-22-2018 | 06:02 PM
Benedict14
Rennlist Member

Call this meat puppet. He’ll know. Or not.

Old 05-22-2018 | 06:44 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Originally Posted by Stevie 77 930
I got the same box (twice) with all of the info described. I reached out to Porsche Connect and was greeted by a friendly and very knowledgeable consultant, Samie J. She explained to me the benefits and the features of the booster, She explained I needed to reach out to my cell carrier. Since I had her on the line, I asked Samie about the Porsche Connect WI-Fi services and said I needed a AT&T sim card to activate the service (she said even the 2018's needed the sim card). She kindly ordered the SIM card and it showed up the very next day. In the meantime, I reached out to Verizon to activate the booster. The Verizon consultant fully understood the process of activating the booster so that was pretty painless. Once I got the A T&T sim card I once again reached out to Porsche Connect to active the Wifi service. The consultant, knowledgeable and friendly. and i was guided to activate my sim card online at AT&T' s att.com/porsche site and within a few minutes my Wifi was activated and working. The wifi service is free for 90 days and provides just 3GB, but I now have a fully functional PCM unit providing all of the services designed into the unit.
Honestly, once the free trials run their course, I am not likely to renew much of these services as they are pretty redundant to my IPhone services, and I don't want to additionally for these features, I have decided to keep the XM service, as I like the programing much more than local radio.

Not all 2018's need the AT&T sim card to make the Porsche Connect+ services work. My 2018 GTS works just fine on the embedded sim used for the Connect+ services (free for the 1st year). How do I know it works w/o the plug-in sim? I pulled the AT&T simcard they installed at delivery out of the tray, and it has been sitting in the center console for a few months, and all the services work just fine. Now pulling that sim card out disables the car's wi-fi hotspot, but that is unrelated to the Connect+ services, and I would never use it anyway.
Old 05-22-2018 | 06:57 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Any pics of what the package from Porsche looks like? Just curious.

The gray box is the same one that comes after delivery of every sports car at least. I got one a few years back for the Cayman S I bought (different pen & different book included), and also for my new GTS. I still have the 911 band that was around the box so I can tell you the box is 15" long and 1" thick for certain, and the width was about 9". I yanked the book, pen, and car ID card out, and threw the rest away. I remember seeing something about a phone, but figured it was just some overpriced Porsche phone, so I tossed it.
Old 05-22-2018 | 07:05 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

I am a bit confused. My cellular provider (Verizon) has activated the booster (Porsche Phone Box) but I have not yet contacted ATT.

[1] What services has Verizon's activation of the Porsche Phone Box booster gained for me?

[2] If I get the ATT SIM card, what services will that get me?

Quick Reply: Porsche Phone Box