Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New cars nitrogen in tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 10:33 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 346 Posts

It is a scam, this nitrogen thing. And it didn’t take long for someone to inject their completely irrelevant views about carbon dioxide and warming.

Last edited by subwoofer; 05-22-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:37 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by spiderv6
One of my best ever buys was a compressor and a tire inflator.

No more hunting down a gas station with a working air pump, feeding it quarters, unable to read the gauge or realizing that it hasn't been calibrated in years and is only vaguely right.

Now I can do all the cars in the comfort of my own garage. One of those little things you buy and wonder why on earth you didn't do it before. If you already have a compressor - get one of these!!

Does this allow you to set a number and pump the tire up to that level? I saw them using something similar in the tire store. Love to know the part number. Thanks.

J
Old 05-22-2018, 07:22 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

One of my best ever buys was a compressor and a tire inflator.

No more hunting down a gas station with a working air pump, feeding it quarters, unable to read the gauge or realizing that it hasn't been calibrated in years and is only vaguely right.

Now I can do all the cars in the comfort of my own garage. One of those little things you buy and wonder why on earth you didn't do it before. If you already have a compressor - get one of these!!
Does your compressor have a dryer on it? Does it just take the humid ambient air, and shove it in your tires? The problem is, you really want the driest air possible, so you get the least thermal expansion inside, and a tighter range between the cold setting and after you've put some heat into the rubber.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:47 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by abe
So air is 78% nitrogen, 21 oxygen....rest is CO2 and miscellaneous gases. The benefit is a more constant pressure, no moisture/oxygen inside which means less chances of rusting the rims and less chance of tire rotting/damage. Now lets get real....the tire is constantly exposed to the elements....water, heat, oxygen ... from the outside. Do you think your tires are going to get damaged from the inside or the outside? Have you ever had anyone tell you that your tires where damaged from the inside and you should use 100% nitrogen in the future? Do you really think that the minimal expansion/contraction in tire pressure from air vs nitrogen is going to make a difference in you mpg or tire longevity?
If you are race driver and need perfect tire conditions at all times.....or landing a 747 ( do not want your tires to catch fire or have a blow out as your landing.)...it makes sense. But for the rest of us.....it is another way of someone making money off ignorant drivers.
IMHO
Abe
Agreed 100% . A big joke.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:50 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

If you're going to use nitrogen, make sure it is German grade nitrogen. Anything else will void your warranty.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:01 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
If you're going to use nitrogen, make sure it is German grade nitrogen. Anything else will void your warranty.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:50 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Does it just take the humid ambient air, and shove it in your tires?
yes but not 1:1. A compressor sucks in a lot of air that it compresses, and as you are highlighting it is also sucking in water. The air gets compressed but the water does not, and at the same time the air is heating which gives it the ability to carry more moisture... but then it cools and hits a dewpoint inside the tank which condenses the water and traps it. My 60-gallon compressor always surprises me by how much water will get caught and released in the valve at the bottom of the tank. The air then expands as it used and by default, it is dryer than ambient air because you have trapped and released it in the tank. If I lived in a humid area I would have a dryer but my relative humidity is pretty mild and I have never had a problem with moisture in my lines or tools... and I shoot a lot of woodworking finishes that are sensitive to moisture.

Which makes me wonder if the ambient air that is present when a tire is installed is introducing more water than the compressed air? An interesting experiment would be to mount a tire in a vacuum chamber, a second with compressed air and no dryer, a third with compressed w/dyer, and a 4th with nitrogen. Measure the moisture with a sensor inside each tire to see which has more moisture. Aside from being intellectually interesting, not much utility to be had IMO.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:09 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wareaglescott
My 2018 C2S came with green tire valve caps. Does that indicate they come filled from the factory with Nitrogen?
Nitrogen does not expand or contract with temperature fluctuations as much regular air. Top off at Costco for free, when / as needed.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:50 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Does your compressor have a dryer on it? Does it just take the humid ambient air, and shove it in your tires? The problem is, you really want the driest air possible, so you get the least thermal expansion inside, and a tighter range between the cold setting and after you've put some heat into the rubber.
It doesn't, but to be honest I am not sure many gas station air pumps do either, so I don't think I am in a worse situation (and adjusting pressures is so easy with the set up I have)

Product link:

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-22-2018, 04:52 PM
LexVan
Banned

Originally Posted by ATLBond
Nitrogen does not expand or contract with temperature fluctuations as much regular air. Top off at Costco for free, when / as needed.
Not true. It's just that, in general, nitrogen is dispensed in a way that it's more dry (less humid) vs ambient air. Remember PV=nRT from high school science class.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:55 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLBond
Thank you. There were some interesting opinions earlier in the thread.

Posted by Eagle1960 - Nitrogen is beneficial in aircraft and race cars where fire is a major hazard and you don't want pressurized vessels containing any amount of oxygen close by.
Not picking on you, but - you’re confusing Oxygen with air. The former is a fire hazard and the latter isn’t. That’s why the world doesn’t burst into flames when you light a match. Compressed or not. Aircraft tires are filled with Nitrogen because it’s stable at a large range of temperatures. The tires can be subjected to ranges of -58F through to greater than 120F. The brake temps can exceed 800F, and they’re obviously adjacent to the tires. So temperature stability is important.

My last 991 seemed to alarm the TPMS when the OAT dropped. I put Nitrogen in, and it stabilized the Px. On the other hand, my current 991 doesn’t have Nitrogen, and it’s been fine.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:56 PM
LexVan
Banned

It doesn't, but to be honest I am not sure many gas station air pumps do either, so I don't think I am in a worse situation (and adjusting pressures is so easy with the set up I have)
Very true, especially those quarter operated units. Jnolan's response above is very good, and explains the difference between a standard old compressor and a well maintained unit. Luckily, a local gas station and repair shop very close to my home has a really nice air hose set-up for customers. And free. He gets a lot of my fueling business.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:18 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Not true. It's just that, in general, nitrogen is dispensed in a way that it's more dry (less humid) vs ambient air. Remember PV=nRT from high school science class.
Eh. I award points to both You’re correct with regard to the water. Nitrogen is dry. It also permeates (leaks) at a slower rate than Oxygen and water vapor.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:38 PM
eagle1960
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 134 Posts

http://www.google.com/amp/s/jalopnik...-tires-1795659
Here's the best explanation I have seen. FyI.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:05 PM
wareaglescott
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 57 Posts

good gosh I just started this thread to see if the green caps meant nitrogen.
Not to start a technical discussion on the merits of using nitrogen or not. LOL
I am personally aware of its properties. Lots of info presented in this thread!

Quick Reply: New cars nitrogen in tires?