Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with selling my GTS (sorry about long post)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 10:11 PM
Still restless
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with selling my GTS (sorry about long post)

After 3 years with my barely-driven GTS, I’ve decided it’s time to find it a new home. Although I love the car as much as the day I took delivery, and it still feels like a special occasion every time I drive it, I just don’t drive it enough to continue holding on to it (it has less than 4K miles). With more free time on my hands, I intend to do extended traveling, so more driving is not expected.

I bought the GTS as I've always wanted a sports car, and a Porsche 911 was most logical if I want to keep a lower profile as I'm a lower-profile type. The 911 is also well made, minimizing risk of maintenance nightmares. The GTS made sense as it bundled some desirable items into a package (although I paid to eliminate some that I didn't care for, and went for more leather), and had a wide body with RWD. It was always meant to be a weekend/special occasion car as my daily driver is an Audi S4.

As it turns out, I only drive it when all the stars are aligned (not going to NY City or questionable places, interstate highways can be avoided, no foul weather or threat of same, not needing to park in crowded lots, not needing space for people or stuff, etc.). I do make it a point of finding an opportunity to drive it at least once a month for at least one continuous hour on free-flowing roads. This is not always easy in winter, but there have been enough days when roads were dry and temperatures above freezing to allow me to do so. If I went over anything questionable (e.g., dried up salt), it got washed (by hand) before going home. Of course, the car has never seen a track.

Except
for 3 things, the car is as delivered:·
- Xpel Ultimate on the entire car within 2 months of delivery (less than 100 miles)

- 60% tint on side windows; 45% on rear
- Clear side markers

It should come as no surprise that the car is in pristine condition, with no blemish of any kind. Three annual maintenances were performed by the selling dealer (nearly one year left on original warranty); only other service needed was replacing the PCM due to erratic behavior. Based on a quick “ball park” offer from the selling dealer, I’m pretty confident $100K is not a problem. If my next car is a Porsche or very nice Audi, I can get the sales tax credit on the $100K (almost $7K) as they can treat the transaction as a “pre-trade.” I will need a new car next year, but not sure what that will be at this point. Obviously, this is the easiest way to go.

Before going with the dealer offer, I’m seeking the advice of members here as I received invaluable input when I was finalizing my configuration in late 2014. Is this the best way to go, or should I try another path, or sell on my own? I think I can get a bit more money by selling on my own, but not sure how much more and whether the difference would be worth the effort. Thanks for any input.

VIN: WP0AB2A94FS124924
Build code: PFA8EH35

Old 05-15-2018, 10:19 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Not sure you are in right forum as there is a marketplace section . But feel free to PM and we can correspond
Old 05-16-2018, 01:32 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Take advantage of the dealers "pre-trade" offer (plus sales tax benefit) as you won't do all that much better on a private sale and you won't have the hassle of dealing with all the tire-kickers. The only down side is that you'll be without your GTS for a couple of months. But then again, you never drive yours anyway.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:37 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

Nice Car.As others have said I think the ~$110( with the tax credit) is very fair. I doubt you'll do better privately, and you'll avoid a huge hassle of tire kickers, endless PPI, etc
Old 05-16-2018, 01:45 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

$10 a mile if you got a discount...
You bring new meaning to:
If it flies, floats or *ucks, cheaper to rent.
GLWS
Old 05-16-2018, 02:23 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 247 Posts

Selling to the dealer as a pre-trade is what I would do if in your shoes. Saves a lot of hassle and maybe you can get a good deal on a Panny if you should go that way.
I certainly can understand your situation. I see many low mileage 911s in the Boston area. People buy them because of the 911 mystique and quickly find that it is not that easy or fun to drive in traffic and on bad roads. No point keeping it if you are not going to drive it.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:38 PM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Get better pics if you really intend to give it a try on the private sale end...
Old 05-16-2018, 03:26 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice car! Is the engine cover grill original? Didn't GTS cars have black with small slats?
Old 05-16-2018, 03:32 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

I thought For Sale ads weren't allowed on this forum (that's clearly what this is).

I'd sell it. Brown leather isn't for many and a private sale would take a while (IMO) and unlikely to beat that dealer offer.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:38 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a very nice spec. Have you considered BaT or Second Daily Classics? If not, what about Porsche Fresno?
Old 05-16-2018, 03:43 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,359 Posts

LOL - your "For Sale" post was already deleted once by the mods - guess you are looking to tempt fate and earn yourself a ban !

You gotta pay to run an ad on Rennlist. Not my rules - just my observations.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:08 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you may buy another Porsche next year why take the $44k hit on depreciation...just drive what you have now.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:20 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
LOL - your "For Sale" post was already deleted once by the mods - guess you are looking to tempt fate and earn yourself a ban !

You gotta pay to run an ad on Rennlist. Not my rules - just my observations.

He's a member now and can post ads.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:00 PM
Still restless
Instructor

I appreciate all the feedback. I think the number with the sales tax credit is not bad, but it does limit my options when I'm replacing my S4 next year. There is a lot to be said for the painless process selling to the dealer. By the way, except for the 3 items I added after delivery, the car is as delivered; the ducktail came with body-colored engine grill/lid.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:23 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

The DUCKTAIL cars GTS or not come with standard body colored rear grill not the black version.

Quick Reply: Help with selling my GTS (sorry about long post)