Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in Miami

Old 05-16-2018, 10:16 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Stop Tech Slotted Cyro - Squeal

When I get ready to do this I will replace with something else and Cyro treat as I do that on all my vehicles I plan on keeping. I normally go with the stop tech slotted rotor cyro and stock pads.

- Has anyone installed stop tech slotted Cryo and what was your experience ?
- Did you use the below setup on a 991 and was there brake squeal ?

I would like to get rid of the Porsche pads as they throw a crazy amount of dust but not at the cost of squeal (I know track folks are not concerned with this)

Originally Posted by sugarwood
Go for it. Do it yourself.
If you have the time and desire to learn.

Don't buy parts from the dealer.
Learn to order parts online.

Textar Rear pads will cost you $120
Sebro Rear rotor will cost you $110/ea.
Grand total is $350
Old 05-17-2018, 10:10 AM
911seeker
Pro

As a follow up, I contacted another reputable independent shop that works with Porsches yesterday, they don't work with user supplied parts either...
Old 05-17-2018, 03:06 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Porsceh OEM - Part Profit

Mostly these shops don't care about the 15 to 20% profit they make on parts they are more worried that someone brings them crap parts and they end up doing the job twice.
Really anyone can do this, did you try vertex in Miami yet and just tell them you are getting the parts from Suncoast ? If not ask the local Porsche club for an independent, you really need one if you own a Porsche anyway unless you are wealthy.

Originally Posted by 911seeker
As a follow up, I contacted another reputable independent shop that works with Porsches yesterday, they don't work with user supplied parts either...
Old 05-17-2018, 03:37 PM
911seeker
Pro

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Mostly these shops don't care about the 15 to 20% profit they make on parts they are more worried that someone brings them crap parts and they end up doing the job twice.
Really anyone can do this, did you try vertex in Miami yet and just tell them you are getting the parts from Suncoast ? If not ask the local Porsche club for an independent, you really need one if you own a Porsche anyway unless you are wealthy.
I specifically asked about new OEM parts being sent directly from Suncoast, they said no user sourced parts, no exceptions. Second time in a row. I haven't tried vertex. Ill give them a ring. Tx.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:46 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Shops and dealers wanna make the juice $$$ on the parts too.

I can understand they want legit parts they can stand behind and warranty, but many KILL you on over charging for them.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:17 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I DIY all brakes on all my vehicles. Is actually pretty simple. And save ya a sig amt of money (not to mention i enjoy working in the garage)
Old 05-18-2018, 12:04 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by vodkag
I DIY all brakes on all my vehicles. Is actually pretty simple. And save ya a sig amt of money (not to mention i enjoy working in the garage)
Agreed. Brakes are about the simplest "major" job, since everything (pads, calipers, discs) bolts or clips off and on with just a few robust fasteners. And bleeding only sounds mysterious to those who have not done it. Nothing has to be adjusted or "set", just straight-forward wrenching.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:53 AM
N2B8TOR
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently replaced all four pads on my PCCB brakes. Dealer wanted about $2700 and all the parts were listed price. I went online and can see that the same dealer is selling the identical parts for 30-40% off. I asked if they can match the online parts prices and they said yes.

In the end I decided to do it myself. Not that complicated. Be aware that when the dealer change your pads they change everything. But in actually all you need are the brake pads and maybe rear pad sensors. These are $10 each at Pelican parts. Or you can just tie them off and not worry about it. It's relatively easy to remove the front pad wear sensors. You don't really need to change any of the anti rattle springs. And you don't really need to change the caliper bolts. I did it anyways but they look no different from the new ones. Many forum members suggested I not change the bolts. If I do it over I wouldn't change the bolts either. Everything cost me about $700.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:44 AM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ Did you use anti-squeal paste?
Old 05-18-2018, 02:54 AM
N2B8TOR
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr. Big
^^^ Did you use anti-squeal paste?
I put a small amount of this cooper stuff between the back of the pads and the shim. Again not too much that it oozes beyond the shims. I looked up and some people say to put on and others say don't put it. So I just put a small amount. I also put a small amount where the anti rattle springs touch the end of the pads. I made sure no grease from the shims touches the pistons or the brake cylinder rubber seals.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HBM8HU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HBM8HU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The the wheel hubs I used this aluminum based grease.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FW7VGE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FW7VGE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-18-2018, 09:07 AM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't understand why anyone sourcing their own parts would buy from Suncoast (dealer)
That defeats the entire purpose of buying your own parts.
OEM (at least for older 911's) are Textar/Pagid pads, and Sebro rotors.
Just buy those from FCP.
The shop that installs them will have to make up their parts margins by charging you more labor.
That is fine, as long as you're saving even more by buying debranded OE parts yourself.
Buying parts from a dealer yourself nullifies any cost savings of buying your own parts.
At that point, just drop it off to the indy and don't get involved at all. Same outcome.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:33 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

I don't understand why anyone sourcing their own parts would buy from Suncoast (dealer)

Isn't that buying your own parts if ordering from Sunset or Suncoast?
Old 05-18-2018, 10:22 AM
N2B8TOR
Advanced

OEM (at least for older 911's) are Textar/Pagid pads, and Sebro rotors.
Just buy those from FCP.
The shop that installs them will have to make up their parts margins by charging you more labor.
That is fine, as long as you're saving even more by buying debranded OE parts yourself.
Buying parts from a dealer yourself nullifies any cost savings of buying your own parts.
At that point, just drop it off to the indy and don't get involved at all. Same outcome.
Not necessary correct. Even though these suppliers are OEM manufacturers, they make two types of pads for our cars. One is the oem Porsche pads that have distinctive composition that Porsche specify. The other is generic pads for the same car that are cheaper. From my research some people find that the generic pads make more noise than the Porsche oem. Others say they were fine,

When I was shopping for my PCCB pads I was told that Textars make pads for my car for about $450. In the end I decided to order oem Porsche ($700) because I didn’t want to risk them making noise just to save $250. It turned out the actual oem supplier for the PCCB pads was Padgid not Textars. Anyways my brakes are super quiet now.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:37 AM
911seeker
Pro

Just got another quote without me supplying parts, reputable independent shop that does Porsches mostly, 1125 fronts and 1095 rears, including discs, pads, sensors and labor.

Waiting to hear from Vertex on pricing and whether they would allow me sourcing the parts.

No generic parts are going to even come close of my car... I undertand the potengial savings, but I didn't buy a generic Porsche, I bought (and paid dearly) a branded one...

Quick Reply: OEM brakes replacement... options