Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE One Year In

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 09:57 PM
mr gregash
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

I love the PSE! The crackles, pops, etc on the 911s sound far more natural and better than just about any other car I've hear.

Have you ever heard how awful the M3/4 Competition exhaust sounds?!? About as fake and cheap sounding as you can get. Then again, that car does have quite possibly the worst engine and exhaust notes on the market right now.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:01 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

The M-B “AMG 450” cars also have absolutely stupidly ridiculous fake crackle sounds.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:25 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Porsche is neither alone in this practice nor the most egregious offender. Not by a long shot.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:27 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN

Gracias. Good to discuss these things I think and hear differing opinions. The turbo six is not going to sound like a GT3 and because my C4S is a DD, I had to pick the car best suited to me. I still haven’t been able to comprehend the aural qualities of the PSE but what do I know. I think all of us may agree that the GT3 sounds magnificent.
GT3 Sounds spectacular!
Old 05-17-2018, 11:32 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by _RS_
At least in the .2, no theatrical crackling in Sport+. It's a good option for the manual mode folks who don't like the sound and there's a bonus from the reduced t-lag by using the crackle-fuel to keep the turbos spinning a bit even on light loads.
Same in my .1. I rarely turn PSE on unless I'm driving aggressively on twisty roads away from the public, too obnoxious otherwise in my opinion.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:35 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

^ I get thumbs up and favorable comments every day.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:20 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN

I agree amigo hence my comment that the GT3 may sound magnificent and not will sound magnificent. If we are picking nits here. Perhaps should have said many of us may agree rather than all of us may agree. The latter sounds self-contradictory.
BTW, I think Lava Orange is superb and I love it but others may not. I hate attracting attention from the local constabulary so picked a dull dark blue color. No courage to pick a bolder color. But back to my dislike of the PSE. Crackling and popping sounds say to me at least, hey look at me; am I not cool? Wannabe racer.
I try to not annoy neighbors or draw attention and the appeal of a backfiring ICE escapes me.
And regarding sound, different things appeal to different folks. I like the sound of a flat crank 8 cylinder (like in a Ferrari or the Ford Mustang 350) rather than the v8 sound of a pushrod Corvette or even the Mustang GT.
Do you like my exhaust and color combo? I bet you'd be torn!

I don't have crackles and burbles.. I have gun fire. In sport mode at low speeds through parking lots it sounds like a rumbling V8.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:13 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Nino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0o9yWDXP3s

I don't have crackles and burbles.. I have gun fire. In sport mode at low speeds through parking lots it sounds like a rumbling V8.
I prefer this one from Fabspeed for the base Carrera. Loud but crackles are minimal. I have to hear the car in person to tell if it is something I could live with it in a DD. Same for TUBI. But to me, none sound as good as a GT3.

Old 05-17-2018, 07:58 PM
LavaGTS
Banned

Mine sounds very similar to that but twice as loud + crackles in sport.. Valves closed it's silent inside.

The setup above is almost what my brother got but hung onto the .1 for now.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:04 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Is that stock? Still sounds pretty muffled (like OEM) to me. Not much crackle compared to lots of cars.

EDIT:
Noticed the rest of the title.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:35 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Originally Posted by K-A
Is that stock? Still sounds pretty muffled (like OEM) to me. Not much crackle compared to lots of cars.

EDIT:
Noticed the rest of the title.
Cell phone mic doesn't really do justice.

In cabin it's fairly muted unless you're hard on the throttle. People say it's loud on the outside but I disagree. I think it should have came that loud stock. Definitely more comparable to the NA sound now.

Downshifts that bring the car up into high RPMS are extremely violent(backfires). I've had friends text me saying the noise scared the crap out of them. Prior to the install a 13 C4S with PSE was louder, now the GTS is a notch above. I"m just so happy there's no drone.

Old 05-19-2018, 12:04 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

You can distinctly hear the turbo whistle as well, a cool combination! I like it!
Old 05-19-2018, 09:31 PM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

If the PSE is not engaged does it sound like the standard exhaust with no PSE installed?
I am going to buy a 991.1 and I am trying to decide if I want PSE. I don't really need loud I like a deep base sound. I have driven a C2 and really like the sound of the standard exhaust. I must test drive a PSE soon.

Thanks
CB
Old 05-20-2018, 07:28 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by cpbmd
If the PSE is not engaged does it sound like the standard exhaust with no PSE installed?
I am going to buy a 991.1 and I am trying to decide if I want PSE. I don't really need loud I like a deep base sound. I have driven a C2 and really like the sound of the standard exhaust. I must test drive a PSE soon.

Thanks
CB
There's your answer.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:21 AM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
Same in my .1. I rarely turn PSE on unless I'm driving aggressively on twisty roads away from the public, too obnoxious otherwise in my opinion.
I am thinking of getting PSE on my .1 but I am concerned that my neighbors and others around town will think its too loud. So I am torn. When you drive with PSE off is it the same sound as the standard exhaust or is it louder at baseline with PSE off?
Thanks
CB

Quick Reply: PSE One Year In