Notices
991
Sponsored by:

PSE One Year In

 
Old 05-15-2018, 02:31 PM
  #31  
Tangerine
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Tangerine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 488
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by gellie View Post
Seems to me with so many unhappy people here with PSE, maybe there a cost effective way to swap out of PSE into stock? I've read so many threads(here and elsewhere) of owners looking to retrofit into a PSE.
Is that statement specific to the 991.2? I know some people don't like the crackle even on the 991.1 (myself I don't always like it, but it lets you change it so easily) but overall I thought the .1 crowd prefers PSE over not by a wide margin.

Also, has anyone been able to confirm that PSE "off" increases backpressure at low RPM and increases performance somewhat? Could be my imagination, and you would think that turning something called "performance" on would only be better, but understanding how it works I'm not completely sure open is better at low rpm...
Tangerine is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 03:00 PM
  #32  
Needsdecaf
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Needsdecaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Woodlands, TX.
Posts: 4,247
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 911boy
I don't care if its manufactured, I love it. Love it at the racetrack and love it on my car.
Ever been in an SQ5? Sounds GREAT (inside) but manufactured. Sound was big part of why I got mine. To each his own.
Yes I've been in an SQ5. Don't like that. I daily a GTi, and the first weekend I had it I removed the Soundaktor.

Fake noise was a huge turnoff for me in the M3 too. Had I bought one instead of the 991, the generator would have gone first weekend also. I already had bookmarked the link as I was really close to buying one.

To each their own for sure.
Needsdecaf is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 03:32 PM
  #33  
911boy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,335
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

^M5 too! I guess virtually everything fun & turbocharged will have some sort of sound enhancement.....until everything is electric.
911boy is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 03:34 PM
  #34  
gellie
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
gellie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 660
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
Is that statement specific to the 991.2? I know some people don't like the crackle even on the 991.1 (myself I don't always like it, but it lets you change it so easily) but overall I thought the .1 crowd prefers PSE over not by a wide margin.

Also, has anyone been able to confirm that PSE "off" increases backpressure at low RPM and increases performance somewhat? Could be my imagination, and you would think that turning something called "performance" on would only be better, but understanding how it works I'm not completely sure open is better at low rpm...
I Have a 991.2 and absolutely love it. Just an observation on the disappointed owners who might be looking to swap out?
gellie is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 04:05 PM
  #35  
koala
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
koala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 728
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

I love the PSE sound, but I actually want even more volume. It's great with the windows down, but with them up, still fairly quiet to me.
koala is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 04:30 PM
  #36  
AnandN
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
AnandN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NH
Posts: 564
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

At least they are crackles and not cackles.
Backfiring sounds are very startling to pedestrians. They sound like gunshots . A nice-sounding car doesn't that this kind of gimmickry.
The GT3 has a lovely soundtrack and from the video I posted, none of those popping and backfiring sounds that seem even more exacerbated on 991.2 (with the SE) than the 3.4 L Boxster S that I used to own.
AnandN is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 04:36 PM
  #37  
911boy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,335
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

^like Ferraris, Lambos and Jags? I dont find PSE as loud or shocking as the Jag but I've never heard a 911 with PSE from the outside.....ever. Is it that bad?
911boy is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 05:21 PM
  #38  
Gary JR
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Gary JR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: S Carolina coast & N Carolina mountains
Posts: 1,311
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AnandN View Post
I hate PSE and the backfiring sounds. I wouldnĺt have wanted it even if was free. My car 18 C4S sounds very nice without all that popping and crackling sounds.
Maybe a controversial topic. Such as MT versus PDK.
Originally Posted by AnandN View Post


Very muted and not as obnoxious as with PSE. Also with PSE, the exhaust note is rather gruff. Without it, the sound the car makes, sounds nicer to me. Doesnĺt sound like a tractor.
Originally Posted by AnandN View Post
I wish my car sounded like this. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Mac5oUDko
None of the manufactured rthymic backfiring sounds engineered in the PSE that sound especially aggressive in the 991.2.
Originally Posted by AnandN View Post
Always wondered why folks like loud sounds. In the context of music there are some hypotheses such as the one described in this paper. Figure 2 is instructive.
I guess I am in the minority when it comes to sound. Also, the standard Porsche exhaust in the 911 is not so loud. Increasing the volume doesnĺt do it for me as it does for most.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5580611/
Originally Posted by AnandN View Post
At least they are crackles and not cackles.
Backfiring sounds are very startling to pedestrians. They sound like gunshots . A nice-sounding car doesn't that this kind of gimmickry.
The GT3 has a lovely soundtrack and from the video I posted, none of those popping and backfiring sounds that seem even more exacerbated on 991.2 (with the SE) than the 3.4 L Boxster S that I used to own.
So how do you like PSE?
Gary JR is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 05:25 PM
  #39  
Joenyc
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Joenyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: NYC & FLA
Posts: 190
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by AnandN View Post
At least they are crackles and not cackles.
Backfiring sounds are very startling to pedestrians. They sound like gunshots . A nice-sounding car doesn't that this kind of gimmickry.
The GT3 has a lovely soundtrack and from the video I posted, none of those popping and backfiring sounds that seem even more exacerbated on 991.2 (with the SE) than the 3.4 L Boxster S that I used to own.
Doesn't the GT3 still have the NA engine? So the baffle noise and the twin turbo sound are gimmicky? I don't quite get that gunfire/backfire sound but do get a roar when the trottle is opened. I did notice that backfiring in a GT Toyota with headers. But agree be careful with the backfire especially near a senior living facility or dogs around.
Joenyc is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 05:25 PM
  #40  
Gary JR
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
Gary JR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: S Carolina coast & N Carolina mountains
Posts: 1,311
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Because it's manufactured and makes your car sound like it needs new jets on the carbs. Plus it covers up the natural sound of the engine. I remember my first hard drive in the car, on the Tail of The Dragon. Top down, I felt like the Confederate Army was hiding in the woods and firing a cannon fusillade at me every time I would let off for a corner. Trust me, in a cab, top down, it's pretty ridiculous.
The Dragon (pic left) was my first also but can't go with the Confederate Army analogy. In fact it was Mustang club day and they were all much louder than me.
Gary JR is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 06:29 PM
  #41  
AnandN
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
AnandN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NH
Posts: 564
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gary JR View Post
So how do you like PSE?
No point stalking me. I am not an attractive young person.
Yeah I guess I am not a fan of the sport exhaust. If Porsche could engineer such a lovely sound in the GT3, wonder why they felt it necessary to add all the snap, pop and crackle in the 991.2. The turbo six sounds quite nice without the SE but it is muted compared to the NA engines. My neighbor who is a 996 owner tells me he can hear my car from two houses down the street so I guess it is not that quiet on the outside even without the sport exhaust.
AnandN is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 06:37 PM
  #42  
LavaGTS
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 646
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by AnandN View Post
No point stalking me. I am not an attractive young person.
Yeah I guess I am not a fan of the sport exhaust. If Porsche could engineer such a lovely sound in the GT3, wonder why they felt it necessary to add all the snap, pop and crackle in the 991.2. The turbo six sounds quite nice without the SE but it is muted compared to the NA engines. My neighbor who is a 996 owner tells me he can hear my car from two houses down the street so I guess it is not that quiet on the outside even without the sport exhaust.
I suggest you do some reading and research on naturally aspirated and turbo engines. It is not possible to engineer that GT3 sound on a turbo 6 motor.. Especially at a 7500rpm redline.

Turbos act as resonators, thus reducing exhaust sound levels tremendously. Your car can never, and will never sound like a GT3. Porsche cannot even make this happen.

If you don't like the crackles and pops, simply change the drive mode setting into normal or S+. You can also run it in sport mode with PSE off. You are not forced to have the crackles.

PS: Even cars without PSE crackle and pop. Just not as loud.
LavaGTS is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 06:47 PM
  #43  
AnandN
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
AnandN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NH
Posts: 564
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Nino View Post
I suggest you do some reading and research on naturally aspirated and turbo engines. It is not possible to engineer that GT3 sound on a turbo 6 motor.. Especially at a 7500rpm redline.

Turbos act as resonators, thus reducing exhaust sound levels tremendously. Your car can never, and will never sound like a GT3. Porsche cannot even make this happen.

If you don't like the crackles and pops, simply change the drive mode setting into normal or S+. You can also run it in sport mode with PSE off. You are not forced to have the crackles.

PS: Even cars without PSE crackle and pop. Just not as loud.
The turbo six in my C4S sans the sport exhaust sounds a bit like the old air-cooled engine (35 s in the second video) actually but softer-edged as expected in a modern car. Also as noted by Henry Catchpole in his review of the 991.2 S without the SE.
.
And the backfiring is minimal even in sport mode. I didn't say that the turbo six should sound like the NA 6. Just why all the fakery and drama? Most cars come with the sport exhaust. Maybe folks don't realize how nice the car sounds without it.



Last edited by AnandN; 05-15-2018 at 07:12 PM.
AnandN is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 07:39 PM
  #44  
LavaGTS
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 646
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

What you're describing is the classic Porsche "howl". All .2 cars have this sound from Base-GTS with or without PSE. It's mainly an in-cabin sound, it's also partially due to the sound symposers in your car..

Yes, .1 and .2's have some "fake" noises in the cabin.

As far as the sound of PSE vs no PSE. It's subjective.

IMO no PSE WITH chrono package is doable but NO PSE and NO chrono.. Ehhh it sounds like ***.
LavaGTS is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 08:19 PM
  #45  
AnandN
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
AnandN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NH
Posts: 564
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Nino View Post
What you're describing is the classic Porsche "howl". All .2 cars have this sound from Base-GTS with or without PSE. It's mainly an in-cabin sound, it's also partially due to the sound symposers in your car..

Yes, .1 and .2's have some "fake" noises in the cabin.

As far as the sound of PSE vs no PSE. It's subjective.

IMO no PSE WITH chrono package is doable but NO PSE and NO chrono.. Ehhh it sounds like ***.
Ah yes! The classic Porsche flat six howl. it is well preserved in my C4S with the standard exhaust and you can hear it outside as well not just in the cabin. I have the sport chrono package and in sport mode, the exhaust takes on a slightly louder and gruffer tone but I still hear the turbine-like sound of the flat six as I take the engine across the rev range. Wonderful! The PSE in the 991.2 does two things sound-wise that I find unacceptable. The gimmickry in sport mode is the obvious one. The other is the note of the sound in the other driving modes. It takes on a much gruffer and raspier character and loses some of that turbine-like howl of the flat six. IMHO, it sounds a bit flatulent. Not to my taste. I think a lot of people automatically tick the SE box. After experiencing my Boxster with and without the SE, I realized how much nicer the car sounded to me without the sport exhaust. I am the tiny minority obviously. Also love the MT in my C4S.
AnandN is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PSE One Year In


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: