Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you let Pep Boys or other Franchise do your 991.2 oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 09:32 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 240 Posts

Wait a minute, slow down here. What makes anyone think that these Manny, Moe and Jack folks can't change your oil? These are not LMP's!
Old 05-14-2018, 10:18 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Never to a Jiffy Lube. A friend of mine took in his Audi and they stripped the oil pan threads.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:27 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 47 Posts

I’d let an oil change lapse before I’d go to JL or the Peppy guys.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:16 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 668 Posts

No f-ing way. Risks of things going wrong--things you may not find out until days (or months) later, when its too late. Even minor things, like small parts lost or broken while removing the fans to get access to the filter. Or scams, like not wanting to do the work to get to the filter, and claiming they changed it. Not being able to reset the service reminder.

My thinking about oil changes in general: pay the dealer for major services, and maintain good will (could be important for questionable warranty requests). Do the minor services (and extra oil changes) myself, and keep receipts and records. For those allergic to DIY, pay an independent shop for the oil changes (again keep receipts).
Old 05-15-2018, 12:50 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Name:  photo876.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  127.3 KB
Old 05-15-2018, 12:52 AM
STG
Race Director

Name:  photo49.jpg
Views: 1678
Size:  127.0 KB
Old 05-15-2018, 01:23 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,378 Likes on 1,537 Posts

There was a 991 Turbo S owner who didn't want to pay for the routine service at the Porsche dealer in Tyson's VA this past Fall - he thought it was too pricey at the dealer. He took it to the Sunoco station instead, they had never done a Porsche. They did not do the oil change correctly, and the engine grenaded. It cost the gentleman $ 92,000 to replace the engine in his almost new Turbo S, the dealer was just finishing it up as I was getting a new top on my car the same day (warranty).

Make Good Choices.
Old 05-15-2018, 01:53 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,092 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
...They did not do the oil change correctly, and the engine grenaded.
Probably threw-in 4 quarts of 5w-30 like for every other car, cross-threaded the plastic canister top, spilled an extra quart down the back of the engine when they filled, and torqued the drain plug ... until the already-crushed crush ring stopped leaking ... by using a 4-foot-long cheater on their 1/2" breaker bar... and cracked the oil pan.... just a bit.

OP: This is for you.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:15 AM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I shudder to even consider the idea of taking a P-car to a JL or their ilk for an oil change. Penny-wise, pound-foolish and what-not.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:50 AM
TwoBit
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Hell to the F'in no!
Old 05-15-2018, 09:38 AM
STG
Race Director

How about some P dealer "oil change went wrong" stories?? I've heard them over the years here.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:41 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

99.999% odds they don't know that the oil plug on your 991.2 is supposed to be replaced after each removal and they won't have a replacement in stock. Since your oil pan is plastic the tightening torque for the plug is very low and it could easily be stripped (oil pan or plug) leading to a leak or costly oil pan replacement. You can argue that you can get away without replacing it, but that's not by spec and is a risk YOU could decide to take but they shouldn't ignore.

It is a bit tricky to get the oil level to read full without overfilling. There is no dipstick... they'd probably have a hard time figuring out how to pull up the gauge and would have to get in the car and run the engine to do it. The published oil refill is misleading... you have to fill low and then add a little at a time to get it to full. They won't have the time for all of that.

They probably don't know how to properly use the lift points on the car and could damage the undercarriage. I was at Discount Tire getting some tires on my old pickup truck and saw a 911 in the bay near the window being lifted incorrectly along the weld seams.

There is a nice internet post about someone taking their Audi to Jiffy Lube. The tech cut through the car's plastic shield panel under the car trying to get to the drain, then drained the tranny instead of the engine, then added a full load of oil to the engine. The car ended up with a hole cut in the bottom, 2x the oil in the engine, and no tranny fluid.

Take the car to someone specializing in these cars or figure out how to do it yourself properly.

Last edited by StormRune; 05-15-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:48 AM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
How about some P dealer "oil change went wrong" stories?? I've heard them over the years here.

havent had much with the P dealers but Audi and BMWs, oh the horror stories

One time I took my Z4M in for a brake flush (under maint free warranty for the first 4 years) drove home, pop the hood, and found that they didnt put the build fluid reservoir cap back on (it was sitting in the engine bay in between the crow and the hood) and of course i see brake fluid everywhere!
Old 05-15-2018, 12:06 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
99.999% odds they don't know that the oil plug on your 991.2 is supposed to be replaced after each removal and they won't have a replacement in stock. Since your oil pan is plastic the tightening torque for the plug is very low and it could easily be stripped (oil pan or plug) leaking to a leak or costly oil pan replacement. You can argue that you can get away without replacing it, but that's not by spec and is a risk YOU could decided to take but they shouldn't ignore.

It is a bit tricky to get the oil level to read full without overfilling. There is no dipstick... they'd probably have a hard time figuring out how to pull up the gauge and would have to get in the car and run the engine to do it. The published oil refill is misleading... you have to fill low and then add a little at a time to get it to full. They won't have the time for all of that.

They probably don't know how to properly use the lift points on the car and could damage the undercarriage.

There is a nice internet post about someone taking their Audi to Jiffy Lube. The tech cut through the car's plastic shield panel under the car trying to get to the drain, then drained the tranny instead of the engine, then added a full load of oil to the engine. The car ended up with a hole cut in the bottom, 2x the oil in the engine, and no tranny fluid.

Take the car to someone specializing in these cars or figure out how to do it yourself properly.
I was watching the technician (from a distance) as he finished up my oil change on Saturday. After he did the initial oil refill, he ran the car for a little while (above idle) presumably to get the gauge reading, and then he topped it up. As I drove home I checked the gauge and it was at exactly full. Getting this right is a little tricky. I had the same experience when I changed it myself.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:25 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

5k I do. 10k Local indep P shop. I wouldn’t take my Schwinn to a Jiffy or Pep boys.

Quick Reply: Would you let Pep Boys or other Franchise do your 991.2 oil change