Sponsored by:

Question regarding CPO

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 01:49 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 618 Likes on 249 Posts
Default Question regarding CPO

I am hoping someone here can provide a link or even a screenshot to the answer of this question . On another forum the topic of CPO was raised . There is agreement that Porsche CPO can be transferred via private party sale . There also is agreement that if a CPO car is traded to an independent dealership or commercial broker the CPO will expire .

The discrepancy hinges on what happens to CPO if the car is traded into an authorized Porsche dealership and the replies on this subject has varied .

1) One person claims that a dealership can certify the car a second time , put it on their lot and sell it as a CPO car .
2) Another person claims that CPO is attached to the vin and continues with the car if it is sold by the authorized Porsche dealership.
3) I claim that although a dealership would honor a CPO car in service they will not sell a car which was CPO's at another dealership or offer a partial CPO coverage where it expires at the original date . I claim that CPO must be a full complete package certified at the selling dealership and that a car can only be certified once . Thus CPO traded in to a Porsche dealership would expire .

Years ago i was able to locate the language in the CPO literature but am unable to find it now . I do feel its an important distinction to make.
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:53 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Not sure if this helps but when I traded my Macan last week i also left the dealer my cpo paperwork. They will relist the car with my cpo but I think they will need to redo the cpo inspection.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:49 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
I am hoping someone here can provide a link or even a screenshot to the answer of this question . On another forum the topic of CPO was raised . There is agreement that Porsche CPO can be transferred via private party sale . There also is agreement that if a CPO car is traded to an independent dealership or commercial broker the CPO will expire .

The discrepancy hinges on what happens to CPO if the car is traded into an authorized Porsche dealership and the replies on this subject has varied .

1) One person claims that a dealership can certify the car a second time , put it on their lot and sell it as a CPO car .

TRUE

2) Another person claims that CPO is attached to the vin and continues with the car if it is sold by the authorized Porsche dealership.

TRUE

3) I claim that although a dealership would honor a CPO car in service they will not sell a car which was CPO's at another dealership or offer a partial CPO coverage where it expires at the original date . I claim that CPO must be a full complete package certified at the selling dealership and that a car can only be certified once . Thus CPO traded in to a Porsche dealership would expire .

You are incorrect. CPO warranty continues and also a car can get recertified for a fresh two-year one.

*** If they get in a CAR that currently has a CPO, the remainder of it does carry on if a car makes it into a Porsche dealers inventory

Years ago i was able to locate the language in the CPO literature but am unable to find it now . I do feel its an important distinction to make.
Thanks in advance.

See above answers under questions.

Don't think they actually publish the details.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:05 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies .. so far I am just reading and waiting for more discussion or info before I comment.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:14 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

CPO traded in to Porsche dealer continues. You will find some Porsche dealers advertising "remaining of CPO" warranty. Some dealers will re-CPO the car to lengthen the warranty and justify their higher asking price, so long as the car is within the years limit
Old 05-13-2018, 04:20 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

So another question. Lets say I trade in my CPO with the 6yr/100k warranty and they resell it. Does the new purchaser get the unlimited mileage or the original 100k CPO?
Old 05-13-2018, 04:31 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Think of it as a contract that continues with the car if resold by the individual or another Porsche dealer. Whatever the contrast says continue. If the contract says 100,000, it is 100,000 unless there are other provisions that change it. The Porsche dealer can re-CPO and the new CPO terms will apply.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:19 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by visitador
Think of it as a contract that continues with the car if resold by the individual or another Porsche dealer. Whatever the contrast says continue. If the contract says 100,000, it is 100,000 unless there are other provisions that change it. The Porsche dealer can re-CPO and the new CPO terms will apply.
I have never seen a car which has been certified twice or more . Also a CPO can expire if traded to an independent dealership . I have also never seen a dealership list a car as CPO with only offering the "remainder" of someone else's CPO term .

Here is what is printed on multiple dealership sites . The conflicting point is what really is the formal policy as its not provided in writing .

https://www.momentumporsche.com/why-...-approved-.htm

Snippet below quoted from link --

Terms and Conditions:

Once the covered vehicle is traded or sold to any non-authorized dealer or commercial broker, this warranty is void.
If your car is taken to an authorized Porsche automobile dealer outside the U.S. or Canada, Porsche Cars N.A.'s warranty will not be applicable, and faulty parts will be repaired or replaced only within the terms and limitations of the warranty for Porsche Approved vehicles in effect in the country where such authorized Porsche automobile dealers are located. A vehicle which is imported by an individual into Canada must comply with all Canadian Governmental requirements.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:57 AM
N2B8TOR
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Regardless of what the CPO language says, YEMV. This is true even if a CPO car has gone thru an independent dealer. That’s because a car that’s been CPO’d stays that way unless a dealer somehow finds out that a car has gone thru an independent dealer. There is no automatic CPO invalidation process in place, at all. Now a dealer can say sorry CPO no longer valid since your car went thru an independent dealer. But do you think a busy dealer has time to research that? Most likely no.

I’ve never heard of anyone on the forum say the dealer invalidates their CPO because it went thru an independent dealer, let alone a Porsche dealer. But then again don’t bank on Porsche warranty whether it’s new car or CPO warranty. Porsche is infamous for not covering warranty issues.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:55 PM
Mpoweroo1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Local dealer to me mentioned to me several times that the CPO does not transfer if I sell the car to an individual or I trade into another dealer. Starting to loose more and more trust with them.

Good info provided here!
Old 05-16-2018, 12:57 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpoweroo1
Local dealer to me mentioned to me several times that the CPO does not transfer if I sell the car to an individual or I trade into another dealer. Starting to loose more and more trust with them.

Good info provided here!

Geez. ALWAYS transfers over to private sales!

Also transfers if going to another Porsche dealer.

Does not if goes to any independent dealer.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (12-18-2020)
Old 05-16-2018, 01:11 PM
Mpoweroo1
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Geez. ALWAYS transfers over to private sales!

Also transfers if going to another Porsche dealer.

Does not if goes to any independent dealer.
That's my frustration. They almost use it as scare tactics. Time to find another dealer!
Old 05-16-2018, 03:41 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Mpoweroo1

Good info provided here!
You are talking with used car salesmen. What else do you need to know?

STG already nailed it.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:34 PM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can CPO a car more than once, it just has to be w/in 8 years of the original sale date. I have done it multiple times. If you have an specific questions feel free to PM me.

Quick Reply: Question regarding CPO