Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sports Chrono 991.2 PDK From Standstill , better?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 07:42 PM
kage65
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Sports Chrono 991.2 PDK From Standstill , better?

I've spent some time reading SC threads. A lot for and a few against. What I have not seen is anyone comparing acceleration from a standstill using the sport response button and sports plus vs doing the same in only sport mode. Is there a big difference? Talking only about PDK , not manual.
I don't think I would get a lot of use out of launch control , but I do like punching it from a stand still.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:55 AM
jbroitzman
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft launch

I recently bought a 2018 991.2 C2 cab and it doesn’t have SC. I was nervous about the lack SC at first and now after I’ve had the car for 2 weeks I could care less. I’ve had it on a Panamera GTS and while the hard launch was fun to show off to my friends, after the first month I never used it. The Sport+ feature is definitely for the track and it’s far too hyper for the public roads. I can still stomp on both pedals and it revs to 5000rpm and then release the brake and it goes like hell. It’s not the hard clutch dump you’ll get with SC but it’s very close and definitely superior to just stomping on the gas. Resale value is hard to debate because there is such a dizzying array of options. If you don’t build a new one it is nearly impossible to find exactly what you want. Next up is a tune for my car but that is for another thread. If you haven’t bought a 911 yet stop reading and go make it happen. You’ll have no regrets regardless.

Last edited by jbroitzman; 05-23-2021 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:04 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 220 Posts

I only use sport plus for the track, as mentioned above it is far to hyper for the street, and I track my car.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:24 PM
vanlieremead
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 186 Posts

I love the Sports Chrono. I can set what I want and agree that sports + for Autocross is the way to run the PDK. I especially like what I call the insanity button in the middle.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:09 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

Sports plus is nice on the .2; the shifts and feel are great. In the .1 it is less street friendly. I stopped with launch control a long time ago and I often forget about the sport response button. I really wish they just built whatever extra performance was gained from sports response, into the peddle.

Is an SC equipped car faster off the line...probably but it is not worth it if that is your only concern.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:27 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,180 Posts

The sport response button is the same as putting it in sport+ mode. If you're in sport+ mode, hitting the button does nothing. I can think of exactly zero use cases for the button on public roads in the US, and if you're at a track chances are you'll be in individual mode or sport+ mode the whole time, not fiddling with a damn button on your steering wheel corner to corner.

SC off the line is faster because launch control exists. You won't be using launch control in your daily commute, or even on the track unless you're drag racing.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:10 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
The sport response button is the same as putting it in sport+ mode. If you're in sport+ mode, hitting the button does nothing. I can think of exactly zero use cases for the button on public roads in the US, and if you're at a track chances are you'll be in individual mode or sport+ mode the whole time, not fiddling with a damn button on your steering wheel corner to corner.

SC off the line is faster because launch control exists. You won't be using launch control in your daily commute, or even on the track unless you're drag racing.
Good to know my bad memory has not caused me to lose anything here. So the button is nothing but a gimmick. Great...
Old 05-24-2021, 12:31 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,900 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
Good to know my bad memory has not caused me to lose anything here. So the button is nothing but a gimmick. Great...
Pretty much, yeah. It's marketed as something you can push for that extra bit of performance needed to pass or whatever, which in a 400 horsepower sports car isn't in line with reality. Just hit the go pedal.

The idea of using it on track is ridiculous.

To address the common misconception that there is more power available in sport, sport+, or when sport response is activated... There isn't. In stock form the car makes the same amount of power regardless of drive mode.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:24 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 696 Likes on 478 Posts

I rarely have enough room to hit the button
Old 05-24-2021, 02:14 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

Deleted

Quick Reply: Sports Chrono 991.2 PDK From Standstill , better?