Sponsored by:

road noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2022, 09:11 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 545 Posts

A while back a forum member had the interior floor covered in sound damping material. I believe doors as well. In the end they decided that the car was too quiet. So somewhere between what we currently have and 100% covered might be a good compromise. Wheels wells likely are a large source of sound. Some call it noise. I like the my GTS for what it is and it is not a quiet cabin by any means. Having good audio makes the driving experience even better when you want something else besides road and engine notes.
Old 01-04-2022, 06:11 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 391 Posts

My wife and I (and our retriever) drove from NH to southern FL in our new V90 CC last month. It was very easy in the Volvo. It is a large comfortable wagon with an excellent B&W sound system. Minimal fatigue. Sections of the route had concrete highways and even the normally-quiet Volvo was noisy. I'm much too old to be able to do such a drive in my 911 never mind the arthritis. The noise alone would have killed me. Haha.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:44 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Live Steam
Odd thread for a 911 forum. Buy a Tesla if you want quiet.
Some of us want fast, great handling, AND quiet.
Old 01-04-2022, 11:49 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Some of us want fast, great handling, AND quiet.
That's why I made the suggestion I made. I guess you could also buy a Taycan
Old 01-06-2022, 09:18 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

That's why I made the suggestion I made. I guess you could also buy a Taycan
Big, heavy boats that might go fast, but hardly feel like a 911. Porsche could easily have fitted some form of active noise reduction to the sound system to cut interior noise, for those who don't view tire noise as music, without adding much, or any weight.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:32 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Big, heavy boats that might go fast, but hardly feel like a 911. Porsche could easily have fitted some form of active noise reduction to the sound system to cut interior noise, for those who don't view tire noise as music, without adding much, or any weight.
IDK what to tell you. Maybe try disconnecting the sound symposer and you'll have more quiet. Porsche was never about quiet. They pipe the sound from the engine bay into the cabin because the modern variants got too quiet lol
Old 01-06-2022, 09:40 PM
Live Steam
Racer

Faking it: Engine Sound Enhancement Explained

Old 01-06-2022, 11:04 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

IDK what to tell you. Maybe try disconnecting the sound symposer and you'll have more quiet. Porsche was never about quiet. They pipe the sound from the engine bay into the cabin because the modern variants got too quiet lol
The problem isn't engine noise, which is neither excessive nor unpleasant. The problem is tire/road noise, which is just plain irritating din.
The following users liked this post:
ericsi (05-13-2022)
Old 01-07-2022, 02:32 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 95 Posts

First suggestion is new tires..... A/S may be quieter than summer tread patterns.

Second, I think most of the road noise comes from the back, so throw a bunch of blankets on the floor, over the seats, and against the sides of the rear seat area of the car and see if it helps.
You can place noise dampening foam inside the rear wheel well if the above seems to help.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:13 AM
Live Steam
Racer

There's always Dynamat too
Old 01-07-2022, 12:42 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

I've always maintained that the 911, any 911 is an acquired taste, and not something that you might be able to appreciate on your first drive. Noise (road and engine) and ride that can be choppy and a feel a bit unusual due to the short wheelbase is something you either learn to live with, or appreciate. My first impression of riding and driving in a 911 was "you have got to be kidding", noisy and not something you would expect in a $100k+ car. When you string together the test drives, or get lucky enough to get a longer drive in a 911, you get to feel what the 911 is all about. So you tolerate the noise and some of the ride quality shortfalls. When the weather is good, my glass roof is open, and my Bose is playing my favorite tunes, pure pleasure with the manual transmission. Not sure this helps, but the 911 is a mission specific car, and will fall short on long distance comfort for some of us, including me.
subwoofer (01-08-2022)
Old 01-08-2022, 12:06 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 443 Likes on 316 Posts
Default .1 road noise is almost non existent with PSE off

Perhaps a tesla would be a netter choice for some but I find my 911 to be a very relaxing road car.

Originally Posted by rowsey
I only had 2200 miles on the P's when I left...... now have 4000. I found the road noise (which I feel is a COMBINATION of tire, road, & engine noise) to be substantial ...... I will not take this car on a "road trip" again. BTW I drove up I-75 & I-95 in Florida and then I-95 thru GA, SC, NC & VA. I will switch to Michelins at some point but I fear that they will only make a slight difference.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bud Taylor:
Live Steam (01-08-2022), smell911 (04-29-2023)
Old 01-08-2022, 08:50 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
I've always maintained that the 911, any 911 is an acquired taste, and not something that you might be able to appreciate on your first drive. Noise (road and engine) and ride that can be choppy and a feel a bit unusual due to the short wheelbase is something you either learn to live with, or appreciate. My first impression of riding and driving in a 911 was "you have got to be kidding", noisy and not something you would expect in a $100k+ car. When you string together the test drives, or get lucky enough to get a longer drive in a 911, you get to feel what the 911 is all about. So you tolerate the noise and some of the ride quality shortfalls. When the weather is good, my glass roof is open, and my Bose is playing my favorite tunes, pure pleasure with the manual transmission. Not sure this helps, but the 911 is a mission specific car, and will fall short on long distance comfort for some of us, including me.
It is a sports car, small, cramped, noisy and with a firm ride (like the other sports cars I've had in the past). These are the tradeoffs one makes for an expensive, excellent-handling and quality-built sports car from a premium automaker. Highway touring is not its forte and I'm far from the only person who has noted that. Regardless, it is a very enjoyable car to drive. I suspect that at least some people who find it great for road trips and find it relaxing are very forgiving because of the iconic image of the 911 and the money that it entails to acquire one. I am too old to be so invested in that level of self deception. So after 4+ years. I will be bidding adieu to my 911 (with some sadness) and buying a more utilitarian Porsche, a new Macan S. I am longer able to enjoy the foibles of my 911 without significant discomfort but I will miss its charms.

Last edited by subwoofer; 01-08-2022 at 09:58 PM.
PJ Cayenne (01-09-2022)
Old 01-09-2022, 12:04 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
It is a sports car, small, cramped, noisy and with a firm ride (like the other sports cars I've had in the past). These are the tradeoffs one makes for an expensive, excellent-handling and quality-built sports car from a premium automaker. Highway touring is not its forte and I'm far from the only person who has noted that. Regardless, it is a very enjoyable car to drive. I suspect that at least some people who find it great for road trips and find it relaxing are very forgiving because of the iconic image of the 911 and the money that it entails to acquire one. I am too old to be so invested in that level of self deception. So after 4+ years. I will be bidding adieu to my 911 (with some sadness) and buying a more utilitarian Porsche, a new Macan S. I am longer able to enjoy the foibles of my 911 without significant discomfort but I will miss its charms.
Just be aware of the sellers remorse. Our other Porsche is a Macan Sport Edition. Fine car, and not as peppy as the S, but it is no 911. Fully understand how the 911 shortcomings are overwhelming the enjoyable drives. I am doing fewer coffee runs and track days (2 HPDEs in 5 years) are getting more difficult to arrange. But I love the damn thing and I will not be spending the money for a new one, so when mine is gone, it's gone for good.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:06 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Just be aware of the sellers remorse. Our other Porsche is a Macan Sport Edition. Fine car, and not as peppy as the S, but it is no 911. Fully understand how the 911 shortcomings are overwhelming the enjoyable drives. I am doing fewer coffee runs and track days (2 HPDEs in 5 years) are getting more difficult to arrange. But I love the damn thing and I will not be spending the money for a new one, so when mine is gone, it's gone for good.
Regret? I'm sure it will raise its head occasionally but right now I cannot have more than one car and my 911 as my sole car is woefully inadequate. I need a multipurpose car that will work for me.. If I ever add another Porsche sports car, it will probably be the car I sold back in 2017, a 981Boxster S with a NA flat six and a manual transmission. I can't see myself in another 911 with a turbo six.
PJ Cayenne (01-09-2022)

Quick Reply: road noise