Sponsored by:

road noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 11:03 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 663 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Pzeros are no noisier than the Michelin’s. It’s just something that gets repeated over and over like it’s gospel. Gets old, particularly when it’s not true.
I respect your opinion and possible personal experience with this, but name calling has no place here, easpecially as you are implying that I am just repeating something I read, when in fact this is my personal observation after having recently changed the tires.

Last edited by shammerman; 05-09-2018 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Add
The following users liked this post:
PatrickBateman (01-16-2022)
Old 05-09-2018, 11:37 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,617 Likes on 1,625 Posts

Originally Posted by shammerman

I respect your opinion and possible personal experience with this, but name calling has no place here, easpecially as you are implying that I am just repeating something I read, when in fact this is my personal observation after having recently changed the tires.

Dont forget, you went from worn tires to new ones. Normal for the new ones to be quieter.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:54 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,102 Likes on 662 Posts

First of all, the little dustup above on etiquette seems a little silly. We all have opinions, and one of mine embraces lively debate. If anyone feels that a slightly sarcastic comment or response is uncivilized, they might need to explore other auto forums on the net.

Second, road noise has both objective and subjective components. As stated above, most anecdotes about changes in noise, especially reduction, occur when installing new tires. But these are not exactly controlled experiments, and between biased expectations and changes in things like tire pressure and routes (and thus road surfaces) have strong influences.

Third, my own subjective anecdotes. I have a 2017 C2, delivered with 19 inch wheels and Yoko tires. At first, the car seemed noisy (or at least noisier than expected). Over time, it improved (or I got used to it). And the biggest variable is pavement type and quality. Among the worst are grooved concrete surfaces, apparently the in-thing for many city freeways. I also have stock 19 inch wheels with Conti winter tires. When I switched these, multiple times in the past 12 months, I sometimes thought the tire noise changed, other times not.

Fourth, we can certainly attempt to improve what Porsche produced. I recently bought some dynamat to see what I can do to improve noise insulation. Stay tuned.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:18 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Name:  photo307.jpg
Views: 4503
Size:  320.4 KBName:  photo948.jpg
Views: 4516
Size:  595.4 KBName:  photo595.jpg
Views: 4506
Size:  617.0 KBName:  photo454.jpg
Views: 4553
Size:  504.2 KBName:  photo802.jpg
Views: 4498
Size:  591.4 KBName:  photo908.jpg
Views: 4529
Size:  509.2 KBName:  photo165.jpg
Views: 4543
Size:  538.9 KBName:  photo994.jpg
Views: 4565
Size:  582.3 KBName:  photo318.jpg
Views: 4559
Size:  616.6 KBName:  photo339.jpg
Views: 4554
Size:  640.8 KBName:  photo411.jpg
Views: 4551
Size:  506.5 KB
Old 05-10-2018, 12:56 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
First of all, the little dustup above on etiquette seems a little silly. We all have opinions, and one of mine embraces lively debate. If anyone feels that a slightly sarcastic comment or response is uncivilized, they might need to explore other auto forums on the net.

Second, road noise has both objective and subjective components. As stated above, most anecdotes about changes in noise, especially reduction, occur when installing new tires. But these are not exactly controlled experiments, and between biased expectations and changes in things like tire pressure and routes (and thus road surfaces) have strong influences.

Third, my own subjective anecdotes. I have a 2017 C2, delivered with 19 inch wheels and Yoko tires. At first, the car seemed noisy (or at least noisier than expected). Over time, it improved (or I got used to it). And the biggest variable is pavement type and quality. Among the worst are grooved concrete surfaces, apparently the in-thing for many city freeways. I also have stock 19 inch wheels with Conti winter tires. When I switched these, multiple times in the past 12 months, I sometimes thought the tire noise changed, other times not.

Fourth, we can certainly attempt to improve what Porsche produced. I recently bought some dynamat to see what I can do to improve noise insulation. Stay tuned.
No question that sports cars are noisier than sports sedans. My BMW E90 335i sports package car, was like a limo compared with the Porsche. I understand the reasons why the Porsche is loud, but this would be an area where Porsche could demonstrate some of its highly touted engineering to make a useful improvement.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:58 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 391 Posts

Excessive road noise in the cabin detracts from being able to use the car for long trips. This has been noted in reviews such as in C&D. I have the same car except MT. And brand of tires don't make much of a difference. One can try to compensate with a loud droning exhaust.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...4s-test-review
"The one aspect that might not make one feel grand about touring in a 911 C4S is interior noise. Road and tire noise raise the sound level to 76 decibels at 70 mph, which is anything but luxurious. Even the Mercedes-AMG GT S belts out 74 decibels at 70, so the 911 isn’t horrible in this regard, but ears can grow tired of the abuse on longer trips."
Old 05-10-2018, 03:41 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm quite surprised that folks in the US would want to do long road trips in a 991, ears and back spring to mind. Certainly the concrete freeways are a terrible noise in most cars here on summer tires, so that is my biggest gripe yet nothing to do with the car. People on here from Europe are perhaps questioning the issue, the faster roads there are superb. The engine buzzing away behind me, I find it all part of finally owning a 911, I didn't expect anything less (more?).
Old 05-10-2018, 07:40 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey guys, lets not get this thread derailed.

Just wondering, how much does the air pressure in the tires make a difference on the road noise? For example slightly overinflated vs slightly underinflated?
Old 05-10-2018, 08:27 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 391 Posts

I did not notice any difference in road noise using different pressure settings in the OEM P zeros in my C4S. Initially used normal, full load which yielded a jittery & harsh ride. Lowered to comfort partial load and ride improved but not noise. The noise is only noticeable in highway driving at a steady speed where a constant roar fills the cabin. Concrete sections are barely tolerable. Someone suggested using ear plugs and that is a good idea.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:36 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,265 Likes on 761 Posts

Odd, I've gone on a few longer trips on OEM P zeros and wasn't bothered at all by road noise.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:43 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

I left Porsche for a variety of reasons including excessive interior noise, and bought a new R8 in 2015. Like this car a lot but what was very disappointing is interior road noise levels that are at least as high as my 991! Now with worn (but not worn out) tires the noise in this car on my crappy concrete highways is deafening - seems even louder than I recall in the 991. Do these cars suck or what?
But seriously, I've always enjoyed owning sports cars, but they really can be a PITA!
Old 05-10-2018, 10:08 AM
ronht
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In my opinion, you have 3 options -

1. Turn the radio up

2. Get older - what you can’t hear won’t bother you! (Also works at home and in many other aspects of life)

3. Drive a different car

:-)
The following users liked this post:
Frank996 (01-05-2022)
Old 05-10-2018, 10:15 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by shammerman

I don’t appreciate your comment and referring to me as a parrot. I have been a Porsche owner since 1999 and have had three Porsches over the years. I recently changed my P Zeros to Michelin PS4’s and the difference in road noise is significant. So dear Archimedes, please do not talk down and call names to your fellow board members, let’s keep the conversation and share of opinions respectful.
Originally Posted by Archimedes
Pzeros are no noisier than the Michelin’s. It’s just something that gets repeated over and over like it’s gospel. Gets old, particularly when it’s not true.
Exactly. Most go from worn out Pzeros to NEW Michelins. Magazines and Rennlisters have tested tire noise and found to be virtually identical.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:17 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by ronht
In my opinion, you have 3 options -

1. Turn the radio up
a) Upgrade tweeters to Musicar's

2. Get older - what you can’t hear won’t bother you! (Also works at home and in many other aspects of life)

3. Drive a different car

:-)
FIFY
Old 05-10-2018, 10:21 AM
m5biemer
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

We have a 2017 911 GTS with Pirelli tires and a 2008 911 Turbo with Michelins. There is a significant difference in road noise between the 2 cars, I believe it's primarily tire-related. The GTS is noisy starting about 40 mph and worse as you accelerate, and markedly different depending on the condition of the road. We have some new pavement near home and it's so much quieter when you're going over that. We had the turbo out over the weekend and noticed much less road noise, all you can hear is the exhaust (Kline system). BTW, the turbo is a cab so I would expect more road noise even with the top up (top was up on this last drive). I've been thinking about replacing the Pirellis with Michelins but the comments I've been reading leave me unsure that it would be the right choice.

Quick Reply: road noise