Sponsored by:

"Front Parking Sensor Disabled" error message

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 11:32 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default "Front Parking Sensor Disabled" error message

For the past few months I've had the front parking sensor go off every now and then when I'm stopped in traffic with plenty of room between me and the car in front. I'll just be sitting at a light and the parking sensor will go off. I asked the dealer and he said that sunlight from strange angles or any number of things can cause it to activate.

Today I came to a stop and I had the same problem only I also got a message stating something like "Front Parking Sensor Disabled" and then it showed the parking sensor on with a warning triangle. (see attached pictures). What can I do? It's not giving me the error message every time but it seems like there is something wrong. I checked the manual and all I could find is below:

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...lts-ParkAssist
Possible cause:
– Defect or system fault.
  • Have the fault corrected. Please contact an authorized Porsche dealer.
On vehicles with front and rear sensors only:
In the case of a sensor problem, a warning triangle appears in the monitoring area for the relevant bumper and a continuous tone sounds for three seconds.

Warning triangle after the error message

It shouldn't go off with this distance
Old 05-08-2018, 06:52 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,230 Likes on 743 Posts

Send pic to your SA. Hopefully you are still under warranty. Have sensor replaced.
Old 05-08-2018, 10:59 AM
maxpowers
Pro

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Send pic to your SA. Hopefully you are still under warranty. Have sensor replaced.
I've brought it in twice for unrelated issues and mentioned it to him. He said there are no adjustments they can make to the sensor and that different lighting conditions or other external factors can cause it to beep. It wouldn't give me an error message unless there is something wrong with it though, would it?
Old 05-08-2018, 11:05 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an offset front plate and "blinded" the sensor adjacent with a small covering. Like a band aid but more color coded. No issues after that. Fwiw. Platypus plate from Oregon.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:19 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

I've never had this in either 911 in any condition. If it was common and caused by "sunlight from strange angles or any number of things" then we'd have heard a lot more about it here.
Tell him that you checked on the forums and this is unheard of (until someone else chimes in and says otherwise). It needs to be fixed.

Fortunately it appears to be one of the unpainted sensors triggering so that should make replacement simpler. If replacement of that doesn't do the trick, then whatever controller is involved would be next. It seems you have clear proof to me. If the SA fails to take action, just call PCNA and ask for help (and warn the SA you are planning on doing so if they are balking).
Old 05-08-2018, 12:56 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
He said there are no adjustments they can make to the sensor and that different lighting conditions or other external factors can cause it to beep.
I'm curious how the service adviser thinks ultrasonic parking sensors can be affected by lighting conditions?

Old 05-08-2018, 01:26 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

OP: Mine has done exactly what you describe in your first paragraph - randomly going off at a stop light. It's happened a few times.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:37 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Mine randomly go off in my 911 and Cayenne, but never a warning.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:59 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Mine randomly go off in my 911 and Cayenne, but never a warning.
Any idea what's causing it to randomly go off? This is my second warning so something must be wrong.

Quick Reply: "Front Parking Sensor Disabled" error message