Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at buying my first Porsche...What do i need to look at?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 10:12 AM
2thdoc14
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Looking at buying my first Porsche...What do i need to look at?

Hello all!
Im looking at buying my first Porsche 911 C2S 2017.

It has 2k miles on it and I can get it CPO. Its a car I would buy sight unseen, except for photos. Its located in New York, and I am in Wisconsin.

Any tips on this process? Shipping companies? Things to look out for or ask about the car?

Im coming out of an M4, and looking forward to the car I have sought after since High School!
Old 04-26-2018, 10:15 AM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 778 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by 2thdoc14
Hello all!

It has 2k miles on it and I can get it CPO. Its a car I would buy sight unseen, except for photos. Its located in New York, and I am in Wisconsin.

Any tips on this process? Shipping companies? Things to look out for or ask about the car?

Im coming out of an M4, and looking forward to the car I have sought after since High School!

Fly to NY - inspect - buy if as advertised - drive home. Enjoy the car.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:22 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

You'll get a lot of opinions on this.

I've gone through a lot of cars (45 or more). I'm perfectly comfortable buying a car sight unseen from a Porsche dealer esp. if it is low miles/CPO. Of course there's risk in this but it's worth taking for me. If you have the time and desire heading to NY and looking it over can't hurt. But there's like a 99% chance that you'll think it's awesome. You can also get a PPI done by a local indy - again worth doing if you are highly risk averse (I've never done it).

As to shipping - every Porsche dealer handles this. Just negotiate delivery to your house as part of the overall purchase. The faster you want it, the more the shipping costs - are they able to group it w/ other cars, will they have a car to take back from your area, enclosed/open, etc. But it should be around $1.25/mile or so.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:56 AM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Having done exactly what you are considering, buying sight unseen a CPO car from a NY Porsche dealer, I strongly recommend you go see the car, and get a PPI or, at the barest minimum, have a local RL'er get eyes on and take a look at it. Dealer photos are great, but they are not good enough and dealers have no incentive to disclose imperfections, that while minor, you may find disappointing.

PM me if you want more on my experience and what I would recommend you look for.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:02 AM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

dont know if you are saying it is at a porsche dealer
Old 04-26-2018, 11:44 AM
2thdoc14
Advanced

It is at a porsche dealer.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:47 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

It is at a porsche dealer.
I've bought a few CPO cars and they were higher mileage ones. The first one had a couple of door dings that the dealer didn't disclose and the PPI did bother to note. I purchased it unseen, but the dealer paid to have the dings removed by PDR. With 2k mi I don't think you will need a PPI, but I'd at least put eyes on it before you take delivery. Do the deal conditional with seeing the car. Fly, see, drive home. GL.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:55 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by texascarlover
Fly to NY - inspect - buy if as advertised - drive home. Enjoy the car.
This ^
Unless you really don't have the time and don't care if there are some minor imperfections.
Why not make sure your dream car is exactly what you want and learn it a little on the way home?
Old 04-26-2018, 01:29 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The major one is that you are buying it from a Legitimate Franchised Porsche dealer. There are many scams (especially on Craigs List) offering vehicles for sale which don't exist. The other assurance is that it's a Porsche CPO which will cover just about any mechanical issue an I believe make the factory warranty longer. Only other major issue could be if it has been involved in an accident. As mentioned above, Its a high priced car and investing in an Airline ticket to get it would always be a good idea.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:37 PM
2thdoc14
Advanced

All good stuff! Its at a great price, about 10k under KBB...which is a concern. The car fax report looks fine...but is that 100%? I could fly and see it, but time is a little tight. I wonder if I could find a RL er to take a peak at it for me?
Old 04-26-2018, 01:37 PM
rff15e
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello all!

I would absolutely look at the car beforehand. Get a PPI, if you can't get a PPI - get them to put the car on a lift for you to inspect. The CPO means pretty much nothing. Mine was missing the vehicle tool kit - which meant that the CPO checklist was just pencil-whipped. There were a few other things I missed until I took it home. The headers were dented and it looked like the dealership or the previous owner lifted it wrong because the lift points were screwed up. The passenger side window didn't work and the COVs went shortly there after. I'm still finding annoying things about the way the dealership said they did maintenance, but actually didn't or didn't log it (i.e. the 40k/4 year service).

Obviously this is less of a factor with a 2000 mi car. Still, I'd rather have a PPI than a CPO on a 2017 car with a significant part of its original warranty left. Who knows exactly what that 2000mi history is.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:39 PM
2thdoc14
Advanced

Should I get diagnostics run to see if it was over revved? Who can i contact for a PPI? Any companies out there for this that are trustworthy?
Old 04-26-2018, 01:44 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

if its almost new and (do buy the cpo) cpoed for as long as they will give it, I wouldnt and have never went to a dealer and looked at a car before I bought it out of state
Old 04-26-2018, 01:54 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Should I get diagnostics run to see if it was over revved? Who can i contact for a PPI? Any companies out there for this that are trustworthy?
yes, get the diagnoatic readout. The dealership should be able to do that.

Google "Porsche PPI New York"; you will get hits on Rennlist and 6speedonline

goto the NY PCA facebook page, join the group and ask for recommendations.

www.metronypca.org is the NY PCA website, there's a link at the bottom to their FB page.

There is also a list of advisors and tech advisors with contact numbers on the NY PCA website (About -> Leadership -> ...) ... they should be able to point you in the right direction for local PPI contacts.

HTH
Old 04-26-2018, 02:10 PM
2thdoc14
Advanced

Ok, I got in touch with JSS Performance, and they can do a PPI next week.

Quick Reply: Looking at buying my first Porsche...What do i need to look at?