Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to get our Key Fobs to work with multiple Porsches?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 12:50 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The OP's original question is not as far fetched as it sounds for RF keys - i.e. keyless entry.

You'd basically hack your own keys and map out the RF signals they send to your car. The security built into RF keys isn't insurmountable, esp. if you have continual access to the keys.
Example of a security bug from a few years ago.
https://nltimes.nl/2015/08/12/dutch-...-easily-hacked

Here's a video of another type of hack related to OnStar and their remote app: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3olX...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-24-2018, 01:15 AM
scsuperfan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally would be for this...no different than something like Apple Pay where I can aggregate payment options, gift cards, etc.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:13 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
If your cars are parked inside your garage, just leave the key inside the car.
I actually really like this idea. I'm not worried about theft since (although my garage is detached), there is 18 inches of stone around the whole thing without a door entry. Just a pass code for the garage door openers. I could keep the FOB in the door pocket.

Of course both of my Porsches are manuals so the thief would have a hard time driving them anyway. Best security system!

Originally Posted by mikeearly
While I think your idea is interesting I would be very concerned about transferring ownership and then someone else out there has a key that would work in your car. I am blissfully assuming that my car key is unique to my car and that no one else has a key that would allow them to start and drive my car and I kinda like that.

In terms of house keys, etc. I have gone to a small key ring that hold all those types of keys. That way all I have to do is grab that ring and the fob for the Cayenne or the fob for the Carrera (whichever is appropriate) and I am good to go. It has the added advantage of having only the car fob in the ignition and not a ring with a bunch of other key hanging there
That is a fair point by you and STG. I never thought about this perspective because I don't buy used/CPO cars and I don't plan to ever sell my Porsches. But I can understand why Porsche would not want to allow this feature.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:52 AM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 798 Likes on 422 Posts

When I was still working, I carried two key rings. The right pocket held all my work keys and the left my car and house keys. Now that I'm retired I don't even carry a house key. The garage door opener is how I always come and go at the house so only the Porsche FOB is in my pocket. The advantage (when I was working) was I didn't need to carry the work keys on days off or vacation.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:43 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I have one key chain with the ‘human door’ keys. All the car keys are ‘loose’.

No one wants multiple keys dangling/clinking from a keychain while driving.

In the old days that bowling ball weight of scheiht was what wore out ignition switches.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:54 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Not a good idea with the 991. The car will always be "talking" to the key fob, and be an added drain on your AGM battery. FYI.
The following users liked this post:
911Stalker (12-11-2020)
Old 04-24-2018, 01:57 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Not a good idea with the 991. The car will always be "talking" to the key fob, and be an added drain on your AGM battery. FYI.
Thanks for that tip.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:03 PM
achtung6
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I did this with my Subaru when I first got it and discovered that this practice killed the battery in the key fob very quickly. I've not done with with another car since then but agree that there is constant communication between the car and the key. There has to be otherwise the keyless start wouldn't work.
Old 04-24-2018, 08:20 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by achtung6
I did this with my Subaru when I first got it and discovered that this practice killed the battery in the key fob very quickly. I've not done with with another car since then but agree that there is constant communication between the car and the key. There has to be otherwise the keyless start wouldn't work.
Hmmmm....I don't have keyless start so I doubt my FOB is communicating at all.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:22 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Learn something new in here everyday. I guess I am okay as I don't have keyless start...
Old 08-24-2021, 08:43 AM
rola
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take help from a locksmith. They can do this job efficiently.

Quick Reply: Any way to get our Key Fobs to work with multiple Porsches?