Sponsored by:

imbalance as speed climbs

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 06:46 AM
awini
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default imbalance as speed climbs

my 991.2 c2s is equipped with both, rear axle steering as well as front axle lift, recently a handling imbalance has crept in wherein the car gets twitchy as speed climbs over 60mph, it no longer feels as sure footed as it felt earlier. the dealer feels it might be a wheel issue as a wheel may have hit a pothole, but he cant really pinpoint wheel damage. another issue i have reported from the from the beginning is an occasional light clunk sound from the rear, like from a worn CV joint. but the service manager can find nothing wrong.
the car has done only 6200 kilometers( less than 4000 miles) , and im stumped as to what could be wrong. the tyre pressures are ok. anyone else facing anything similar?
Old 04-21-2018, 07:04 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What kind of tire are your running and what size?

Is it swaying around?
Old 04-21-2018, 07:22 AM
awini
Instructor

standard 20in factory wheels shod with Pirreli P Zeros. well, i cant really explain it, its not that the tail is stepping out, but it does try to shift lanes and the steering needs correction to keep it straight. something like an aircraft in turbulence.
once the front axle lift failure light came on and the dealer checked it, but again found nothing, and the light didnt come on again. could it be the electronic differential? thus the occasional clunk?
Old 04-21-2018, 07:52 AM
mikeearly
Pro

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you let one of the mechanics from the dealer drive it at speed? Did they experience the same problem?
Old 04-21-2018, 08:40 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

I feel stupid saying this - but maybe it needs an alignment?
Old 04-21-2018, 08:41 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
I feel stupid saying this - but maybe it needs an alignment?
or the road......
Old 04-21-2018, 08:47 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Hopefully they removed the blue suspension shipping blocks during PDI.

Yeah on an alignment check.

May need to do run-out on the wheels to find potential damage.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:16 AM
awini
Instructor

Same roads as always, they claim to have checked alignment and balanced the wheels. But I have a feeling they will discover the problem once warranty expires in June.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:59 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

If they find a solution afterwards you'd have good grounds to get it fixed under warranty since you've established it as a problem before warranty expiration. I'd suggest asking for a mechanic ride-along so you could show them the problem under the conditions it happens for you. I had to do this once and it helped the mechanic understand what I was talking about.

I wonder if the rear-wheel steering mechanism could be damaged and causing the rear toe on that side to shift when it shouldn't due to the pothole incident.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:08 AM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 247 Posts

You are a brave man to be driving a 911 in Delhi. Being familiar with the city, my first thought was roads but you know where your are driving.
Could be alignment or that the wheels have not been balanced properly. Uneven tire wear could also explain the wandering feeling on the road.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:27 AM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

When I read "occasional light clunk sound from the rear," I thought about a loose rear upper strut mount. I've read on this forum that a loose rear upper strut can create that sound, although it would not be a factor in affecting alignment settings.

Aside, I have spent months in Delhi, and I, too, find the thought of driving a 911 around Delhi interesting and kind of crazy. The animals (bulls, camels, dogs, etc) on the road, the big trucks that break down and get repaired right there in that lane, the drivers going the wrong direction, the sudden off-road adventures that pass for exits...The Greater Noida Expressway is a nice, wide interstate-type road, but it doesn't lend itself to long, fast, carefree drives.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:00 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by awini
my 991.2 c2s is equipped with both, rear axle steering as well as front axle lift, recently a handling imbalance has crept in wherein the car gets twitchy as speed climbs over 60mph, it no longer feels as sure footed as it felt earlier. the dealer feels it might be a wheel issue as a wheel may have hit a pothole, but he cant really pinpoint wheel damage. another issue i have reported from the from the beginning is an occasional light clunk sound from the rear, like from a worn CV joint. but the service manager can find nothing wrong.
the car has done only 6200 kilometers( less than 4000 miles) , and im stumped as to what could be wrong. the tyre pressures are ok. anyone else facing anything similar?
Twitchy handling usually means alignment or your tires need more inspection.

But I think nothing is wrong with your car since you said your dealer has inspected it. It could just be the combination of declining road and gusty wind which in case you may need front skirt & maybe a fixed wing for extra downforce.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:16 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Seems like a suspension issue or something aero related. You’d think it would have to do with FAL and/or RAS, especially as they would be hard to diagnose.
Old 04-22-2018, 01:18 PM
oolor13
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

You said the tire pressures are okay, but what pressures are you running?
Old 04-22-2018, 01:32 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

This sounds silly, but also keep in mind that the wider the tires, the more the car will want to move left-to-right across uneven road surfaces. It can even be something as simple as applying a bit of throttle and feeling the car want to pull in a specific direction. While some people rip on the electric steering in this car, it's actually rather communicative compared to most EPS systems.

Quick Reply: imbalance as speed climbs