Painted rear fascia ideas and entry sill lighted conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 08:09 PM
aduong
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Painted rear fascia ideas and entry sill lighted conversion

hi,

what has has anyone done to their rear fascia? Painted from factory or replacement or carbon wrap? I am not interested in going tech art or vorsteiner route. What is porsche’s Original intention with the plastic? I know some manufacturers have cutouts ready for additional side of exhaust etc..

also so has anyone converted or added a lighted sill to their car which was not on original build?

Old 04-18-2018, 09:20 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aduong
hi,

what has has anyone done to their rear fascia? Painted from factory or replacement or carbon wrap? I am not interested in going tech art or vorsteiner route. What is porsche’s Original intention with the plastic? I know some manufacturers have cutouts ready for additional side of exhaust etc..

also so has anyone converted or added a lighted sill to their car which was not on original build?

I was considering converting to the lighted sills, theres a DIY around here somewhere, but if I recall correctly you have to tap into another power source because there's no power line run for the standard sills. With these cars, who knows if it would set off some alert that there was too much power being drawn down whatever line.

They are supposed to be incredibly hard to get off because they're bonded so well. The dealer can install these also, but I have no idea what the cost would be. Id probably try to get them off myself and then bring to the dealer to code and add whatever cable line is required.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:16 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 72 Posts

Might be informative about the illuminated sill install:
(jump to 6:40, the embed seems to mess up the time to start)
Old 04-19-2018, 08:13 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,351 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M3THOD
I was considering converting to the lighted sills, theres a DIY around here somewhere, but if I recall correctly you have to tap into another power source because there's no power line run for the standard sills. With these cars, who knows if it would set off some alert that there was too much power being drawn down whatever line.

They are supposed to be incredibly hard to get off because they're bonded so well. The dealer can install these also, but I have no idea what the cost would be. Id probably try to get them off myself and then bring to the dealer to code and add whatever cable line is required.
My dealer quoted $700 to install carbon illuminated door sills on mine which are not illuminated plus cost of sills. I may do it as I have Carbon interior in the cabin.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:27 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
Might be informative about the illuminated sill install: https://youtu.be/Z4-cSI_MzQc?t=6m40s (jump to 6:40, the embed seems to mess up the time to start)
My thoughts exactly, when I saw this question. That Schmee video makes it look very-very easy. I wonder if our cars are pre-wired for the illum sills when not spec'd this way at the factory??

Oh, and I have factory painted rear fascia (white) on my .1. I really like it, mainly because I hate unpainted black plastic. Also same reason I spec'd the sport design mirrors. I left the front spoiler lip black plastic, because that part takes a beating from stones & bugs, being so low, easy to clean and dress with Aerospace 303.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:52 AM
go.illini
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Fortunately my car came with lit sills which was a nice bonus. I highly recommend as they look great especially at night.

I prefer the unpainted rear fascia since that area gets dirty so fast. Plus it matches the black front lip to keep things "symmetrical". I agree the front gets scuffed up easily. Replacement part is relatively cheap.

Quick Reply: Painted rear fascia ideas and entry sill lighted conversion