Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart Top experiences with Targa 991.2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 08:18 AM
watchrabbit
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smart Top experiences with Targa 991.2?

Hi guys,

has anyone tried all the functions with the Smart Top module on the 991.2 Targa? I would like to know if the module is reliable and also how the open/close feature during the drive feels like. I know the speed is pretty low (15Kmh AFAIK) but for me that would be enough to open/close while rolling towards a red traffic light. I blocked yesterday twice a traffic light trying to close and open my roof (before and after an Autobahn drive) and I would like to avoid that in the future.

Thanks!
Adrian
Old 04-16-2018, 09:08 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 256 Posts

Adrian, are you sure you want that huge $8K chunk of glass moving in traffic while at the same time the driver behind you is on the phone?

To your question; no idea and not interested.

DaveGee
Old 04-16-2018, 09:19 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 202 Posts

I have it and it’s not programmed to function while moving. You need to be stopped. I do like the convenience of opening and closing the top upon approach and exiting. The one touch operation is nice as well.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:22 AM
watchrabbit
Track Day

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Adrian, are you sure you want that huge $8K chunk of glass moving in traffic while at the same time the driver behind you is on the phone?
DaveGee
Dave,
no, not in that situation. But while approaching the red light and creeping, yes, I want.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:45 AM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 66 Posts

I have it for my 991.2 Targa 4S and works very well with respect to one touch open/close from within the cabin and also via the key fob when approaching or leaving the vehicle.

It will work while in gear and while moving literally <1 mph however and speed higher or let off the brake and the operation is halted.
Even though I think understand the reasons why it doesn't I do wish it worked at slightly higher speed.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:53 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

I just bought one for my soon to be delivered targa, but have no experience with its operation. For me, it was imperative to have it. I need to be able to open and close the top from the key fob from inside my home or from a restaurant should it start raining or just to let the heat out on a summer day. If there is a way to get it to open or close above 1mph I will find out as rolling to a stop light would also be a useful feature.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:55 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
I just bought one for my soon to be delivered targa, but have no experience with its operation. For me, it was imperative to have it. I need to be able to open and close the top from the key fob from inside my home or from a restaurant should it start raining or just to let the heat out on a summer day. If there is a way to get it to open or close above 1mph I will find out as rolling to a stop light would also be a useful feature.
when is the anticipated arrival date?
Old 04-16-2018, 11:57 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

First week in June and from what I am told it is one of the most heavily optioned Targas my dealer has ever seen.
In English that means that I will never get my money out of it
Old 04-16-2018, 11:58 AM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
First week in June and from what I am told it is one of the most heavily optioned Targas my dealer has ever seen.
In English that means that I will never get my money out of it
but it’s all yours! can’t wait to see it.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:00 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

I think the only 2 options I remember leaving out were deviated stitching and LED's.

Its a PTS Color, Full Leather, Carbon Fiber, PCCB Brakes, etc.. Could have bought a Turbo but, I wanted that targa top and after mods I will be faster than the turbo anyway,,
Old 04-16-2018, 05:42 PM
watchrabbit
Track Day

Originally Posted by JPMD
I have it for my 991.2 Targa 4S and works very well with respect to one touch open/close from within the cabin and also via the key fob when approaching or leaving the vehicle.
It will work while in gear and while moving literally <1 mph however and speed higher or let off the brake and the operation is halted.
Even though I think understand the reasons why it doesn't I do wish it worked at slightly higher speed.
That is definitely not what they advertise here. It says operation until 15kmh which is around 10mph. That would be enough for me. Without that feature, there is no much added value for me. In Europe we have a remote control key for the roof operation. Sure, you have to hold it but the one press operations are not worth the 400€ it costs here. Open/Close during driving/creeping is what I am after.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:11 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

You really want that huge thing catching airflow? Not so sure about that...,
Old 04-16-2018, 09:07 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 256 Posts

>>Its a PTS Color, Full Leather, Carbon Fiber, PCCB Brakes, etc.. Could have bought a Turbo but, I wanted that targa top and after mods I will be faster than the turbo anyway,,<<

PTS Targa? Tell us more.

DaveGee
Old 07-09-2018, 10:33 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 66 Posts
Default update

Originally Posted by JPMD

Originally Posted by watchrabbit
That is definitely not what they advertise here. It says operation until 15kmh which is around 10mph. That would be enough for me. Without that feature, there is no much added value for me. In Europe we have a remote control key for the roof operation. Sure, you have to hold it but the one press operations are not worth the 400€ it costs here. Open/Close during driving/creeping is what I am after.
Guys wanted to revive and update this thread.
I had been thinking about the above quote regarding the top operation at 10mph and this is also stated on their website. This weekend I re-connected to the module and dowloaded an update (firmware).
I changed the 1st Function to "expert" mode and also downloaded a revised list of all of the functions now 12 up from 11
Not sure which of the above made the difference but now the top does operate at up to 10mph. Also once the top operation starts it will continue until it completes the process which is great if you are at a stop sign or light and need to start moving.

Much more useful now and I'm much happier.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:21 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

thanks for heads up. will update this weekend!!!

Quick Reply: Smart Top experiences with Targa 991.2?