Sponsored by:

Squealing brakes while NOT on brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 07:06 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Squealing brakes while NOT on brake pedal

My rear brakes are squealing when I'm not pressing the brake pedal. Once I press the brake (even just a little), the squealing stops. It began after 2 days of track time a few weeks ago. The pads do need replacing - they're at about 3 or 4mm - so I'm planning on doing that, but I've never had brakes squeal when NOT on them before. It's loudest at low speeds, like 5-10mph, and tends to dissipate as speed increases. It seems to be gone at 35mph, but it could be being drowned out by other engine/road sounds.

Any ideas what it could be? Maybe a stuck brake piston?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:30 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

I’d have someone pull the wheel and check the inner pad.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:32 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Since you have an S with torque vectoring, when driving sportily in curves the car will apply the inside rear brake to help the car turn in better. Is this possibly when you are hearing it?
Old 04-15-2018, 09:31 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

I've been dealing with this issue for over a year. Exact same circumstances as you.

I gave up taking it in for awhile but it is really annoying. Six trips to dealer so far:

1. Replaced pads and rotors
2. Flushed brake fluid
3. Thoroughly cleaned the brake hardware
4. Replaced brake hardware (bolts if I remember correctly)
5. Could not replicate
6. Cleaned all contacts surfaces, resurfaced rotors, chamfered pads, replaced more hardware

This last time is the most promising, but it'll be some time before I believe that I'm out of the woods.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:43 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I would start with washing out all the brake suspension parts
Old 04-15-2018, 10:28 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tstafford
I’d have someone pull the wheel and check the inner pad.
I'm going to to that myself, once the new pads arrive at my house.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:40 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by StormRune
Since you have an S with torque vectoring, when driving sportily in curves the car will apply the inside rear brake to help the car turn in better. Is this possibly when you are hearing it?
It's most noticeable at the lowest of speeds, like when I'm pulling into my garage and stopping for stop signs and such. PTV is not engaged at that point.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:49 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay-S
I've been dealing with this issue for over a year. Exact same circumstances as you.

I gave up taking it in for awhile but it is really annoying. Six trips to dealer so far:

1. Replaced pads and rotors
2. Flushed brake fluid
3. Thoroughly cleaned the brake hardware
4. Replaced brake hardware (bolts if I remember correctly)
5. Could not replicate
6. Cleaned all contacts surfaces, resurfaced rotors, chamfered pads, replaced more hardware

This last time is the most promising, but it'll be some time before I believe that I'm out of the woods.
Hi Jay,

Did it first occur after a track day? Have you tried getting the caliper(s) rebuilt? I read somewhere that sometimes brake pistons stick and don't retract properly. Has that come up? Has any of the above work been done under warranty?

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:22 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Hi Jay,

Did it first occur after a track day? Have you tried getting the caliper(s) rebuilt? I read somewhere that sometimes brake pistons stick and don't retract properly. Has that come up? Has any of the above work been done under warranty?

Thanks.
This sounds likely. The caliper seals have a shape that is designed to retract the piston a small amount after each brake application. If this does not happen, the pad can drag on the disk--not good, since the brakes can overheat.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:23 AM
alz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To understand a bit more, do you have brake pads that squeal when you brake (e.g. Pagids)? Or are you saying the standard brake pads that never squealed before are now squealing. Also is it a fairly loud squealing (equivalent to when you brake)? Or just a little squeaking as you come to a halt.

I had a bit of squeaking on my '13 C2S after I installed Pagids. Similar circumstance in that the squeaking didn't show up until after the first track day. It went away after the next track day and I haven't thought about it since - but not sure if this is similar to your case or not.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:44 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alz
To understand a bit more, do you have brake pads that squeal when you brake (e.g. Pagids)? Or are you saying the standard brake pads that never squealed before are now squealing. Also is it a fairly loud squealing (equivalent to when you brake)? Or just a little squeaking as you come to a halt.

I had a bit of squeaking on my '13 C2S after I installed Pagids. Similar circumstance in that the squeaking didn't show up until after the first track day. It went away after the next track day and I haven't thought about it since - but not sure if this is similar to your case or not.
These are stock pads that otherwise do not squeal. This is pretty loud squealing when NOT on the brakes. It squeals when coasting or on the throttle at low speed. The lower the speed, the louder the squeal until about 35mph when it's finally too faint to hear. To me, it doesn't sound like the same kind of squealing that comes from track-oriented pads like Pagids. it's higher pitched and more annoying! As soon as I actually touch the brake pedal the squealing stops.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:48 AM
alz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are stock pads that otherwise do not squeal. This is pretty loud squealing when NOT on the brakes. It squeals when coasting or on the throttle at low speed. The lower the speed, the louder the squeal until about 35mph when it's finally too faint to hear. To me, it doesn't sound like the same kind of squealing that comes from track-oriented pads like Pagids. it's higher pitched and more annoying! As soon as I actually touch the brake pedal the squealing stops.
Got it, that's quite different. Any chance one of your pads has entirely worn through and it's metal to metal ? Might be an inside pad that you can't see.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:37 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Hi Jay,

Thanks.
There is a reason that a track day would cause this. The brake fluid heats up and an air bubble gets in the system. According to the mechanics working on my car, this is a known issue on certain Cayennes and the symptoms are the same. They said they had not seen it on 911s though.

This was ruled out on my car because they did a brake fluid flush and the issue persisted.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:40 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Hi Jay,

Has any of the above work been done under warranty?

Thanks.
Nope!
Old 04-16-2018, 09:16 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alz
Got it, that's quite different. Any chance one of your pads has entirely worn through and it's metal to metal ? Might be an inside pad that you can't see.
I guess that's possible - I'll see when I get in there next weekend. But if this were the case, wouldn't it scream like a banshee when I press the brake pedal? When I do that, the squeal goes away.

Quick Reply: Squealing brakes while NOT on brake pedal