Warning after new tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 10:45 AM
myamymy
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Warning after new tires

Hi all,
I recently got new tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S : omg! what a difference!). I have drivenned over 150 miles so far but every time I start the car I get the same warning "Tire change? Update settings".

I went through the menu and made sure all tire/wheel related items are set (summer tires, 20" wheel, comfort setting).

Is there a special menu item that I missed and needs to be set after installing new tires? Or maybe it takes more than 150 miles for car to learn it???

Thanks in advance
The following users liked this post:
Deeblast (09-14-2022)
Old 04-15-2018, 11:37 AM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

It likely means that one axle or both axles of wheels were not mounted back to their same position. For example your back driver side rear rim is now mounted on the passenger side. (if you mount and dismount tires this will happen unless your tire person keeps close track of which ones went where. You just have to reset your tpms so it re learns the wheel sensors. The sensors do not automatically sync. You have to go to the "TPMS" menu and where you can choose 20" summer or winter tires. You have to scroll from summer to winter and back to summer and hit enter. You will get a message that states that the TPMS is registering or monitoring. You have to keep it on that screen otherwise they will not register. After about 5-7 minutes they finally registered.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:08 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts

You need to change the tire settings to another tire setting, doesn't matter which, and commit that. Then go back in and set the tire settings back to the correct setting. This will force the car to relearn the rolling characteristics and should get rid of the warning.

Edit: At a glance I didn't notice you already had a response saying the same thing. What he ^^^ said.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:59 PM
myamymy
Instructor

Wink

Thank you very much both for your inputs!
Old 04-15-2018, 06:04 PM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

I had the wheels on my new C4GTS removed to get ceramic coated. I had the same problem getting the TPMS to reset. After I went through the manual twice, I called my SA, but he didn't know . . . Finally found an old thread on RL that outlined the above. Hard to believe the owner's manual can't describe the process, which wasn't too difficult if you knew the trick (toggle to winter tire then back to summer, hit enter and start driving for a few minutes).
Old 04-15-2018, 10:12 PM
myamymy
Instructor

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Avalon911
I had the wheels on my new C4GTS removed to get ceramic coated. I had the same problem getting the TPMS to reset. After I went through the manual twice, I called my SA, but he didn't know . . . Finally found an old thread on RL that outlined the above. Hard to believe the owner's manual can't describe the process, which wasn't too difficult if you knew the trick (toggle to winter tire then back to summer, hit enter and start driving for a few minutes).
Hard to believe that the manual doesn't mention it

Quick Reply: Warning after new tires