Sponsored by:

Dealers Fees

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 07:41 AM
MiamiBlue
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Dealers Fees

After having to go back and forth on an agreed upon sales prices, then having to haggle with the beloved dealer fees. (which I feel is just a bonus for them)

How do you guys handle especially on a used car? Where we know sometimes they make more than a new one.

Thanks,.....
Old 04-10-2018, 08:50 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,900 Likes on 1,366 Posts

You can't fight it. Find out the fees going in and factor them into your overall offer price.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:25 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 990 Posts

I have never paid for a dealer fee, prep fee or documentation fee on any Porsche or any other car I purchased. Be up front in initial negotiations. No add ons. Agree on the Price out of the Door before you sign any contract.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:40 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 818 Likes on 408 Posts

Last 2 car purchases I've asked for a breakdown so I knew where the money was going.

One purchase was New and the other Pre-Owned.

Maybe it's just in TN the fees once broken down seemed reasonable.

It's all about the dance..... the only person you need to satisfy about getting a good deal is yourself.

There will always be someone that tells you they didn't get charged this or that......but in the end it was rolled into the deal somewhere. Front end or back....trade in or financing. They are going to get their money.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:09 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I have never paid for a dealer fee, prep fee or documentation fee on any Porsche or any other car I purchased. Be up front in initial negotiations. No add ons. Agree on the Price out of the Door before you sign any contract.
Do you pay license registration fees or truly net zero- if so I'm impressed!!! I've always paid the title transfer and registration and never even thought about negotiating it (and I think we shop at the same dealer )!
Old 04-10-2018, 10:14 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

If high dealer fees bother you, don't step inside a Penske dealership
Old 04-10-2018, 10:14 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

6 and one half dozen to the other. Whether you negotiate net or with add one, it usually boils down to the same thing. Just be prepared with your price one way or the other so you can get on the same page no matter which way you negotiate. I usually offer a fair price that seems low at first and then tell them to add their fee and tax and title.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:18 AM
ChicagoWhale
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Always negotiate out-the-door, never selling price.

If a deal is agreed upon, then all parties have gotten the deal they wanted, no matter where the money is distributed - with no surprises later on.

Doc fees are regulated by state laws. You'll always know which states are heavily influenced by dealer associations by the size of the doc fee.

And by the way, stories of getting doc fees removed are like wisdom tooth stories. Online, everyone portrays themselves as super-negotiators who have extraordinary powers of negotiation and got some deal that no one else could possibly negotiate. Likewise, as Brian Regan would say, never try to tell a wisdom tooth story... there is always some idiot who will tell you their wisdom tooth story is far more extreme than your wisdom tooth story.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:22 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,153 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
Do you pay license registration fees or truly net zero- if so I'm impressed!!! I've always paid the title transfer and registration and never even thought about negotiating it (and I think we shop at the same dealer )!
Yes, I pay those costs. Title and registration. These bills go to the government though and are reasonable. It's like any other tax or government fee.

It's the add-on dealer fees that are unreasonable. Dealer prep, dealer documentation fee, etc.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:30 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Like mentioned, negotiate OUT THE DOOR $$$.

Only way to get past the dealer BS.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:01 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

+1

Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte, NC is $649. I negotiated the out the door price via email. Plus before I would sign the paperwork I got them to throw in a fitted Porsche indoor car cover in addition to the gift bag (coffee mug and USB drive) so I was happy.

Last edited by go.illini; 04-11-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:16 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

^ That's what I did. And had prices from more than one dealer to keep them honest.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:06 PM
Gordon Shumway
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Once you find yourself negotiating dealer fees, you've already lost. As many have already said, do that homework before negotiating, and determine what your willing to pay "out the door". Don't worry about how they fill out the sales order, just worry about the bottom line. My Porsche dealer was the first dealer that I didn't even have to tell what I wanted for an out the door price. The only offer they ever put in front of you is a detailed out the door price. I've never found regular dealers to be quite that forthcoming.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:41 PM
white6speed
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 98 Posts

My dealer charges No Fees and it is a selling point for their marketing. Only dealership in town that does this. Entire purchase transaction is transparent. They do exist.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:52 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ChicagoWhale
Always negotiate out-the-door, never selling price.

If a deal is agreed upon, then all parties have gotten the deal they wanted, no matter where the money is distributed - with no surprises later on.

Doc fees are regulated by state laws. You'll always know which states are heavily influenced by dealer associations by the size of the doc fee.

And by the way, stories of getting doc fees removed are like wisdom tooth stories. Online, everyone portrays themselves as super-negotiators who have extraordinary powers of negotiation and got some deal that no one else could possibly negotiate. Likewise, as Brian Regan would say, never try to tell a wisdom tooth story... there is always some idiot who will tell you their wisdom tooth story is far more extreme than your wisdom tooth story.
How true.

Quick Reply: Dealers Fees