Sponsored by:

Garage is TOO small. Concerned about hitting right side

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 11:20 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,358 Posts

An Alternative idea:

Get a plastic speed bump and place it along the length of your shelf affixed to the floor where you want the car to "Stand out" from the left side. This is not going in the front of the car as a stop block, but lengthwise along the right side of the car. It you measure it off correctly, you will always be able to "feel" the raised speed bump with your right front tire going into the bay.

Downside is the piece is always anchored to the floor.

​​​​​​https://www.trafficsafetystore.com/s...ctive-4#SBER4L
Old 04-09-2018, 11:29 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Class5Kayaker
Tennis ball for the cheap solution.

If you want to spend $$ on a cool solution, some modern garage door openers come with a red laser dot accessory that turns on when you open the door and stays on for a while. Just aim it for somewhere you can consistently put it all the time, like the light sensor (I think that's what it is) dead center on the dash between the center speaker and windshield.
+1 Laser works just great
Old 04-09-2018, 11:53 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a couple dual lasers mounted on the garage cieling and I simply line it up with something very specific on each car. In the case of the 991, I have it hit the top of the sport chrono which makes positioning extremely accurate. The laser cost like $20 on Amazon.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:45 AM
wutangmo15
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a cheap convex mirror to assist parking my minivan. I reverse park my 911.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:09 AM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Hire the teenage kids on your block to valet park your car in and out of the garage.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:29 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 618 Likes on 249 Posts

There was a time I used to deal with squeezing two 911's in a tight garage . I came very close a few times but never hit anything . I now park one outside .

Old 04-10-2018, 05:56 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 281 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by VintageRacer477
The HOA doesn't allow sheds, so the only storage is garage or attic over the garage. Already too much stuff up there. And, the Alfa Romeo engine that takes up 1.5 shelves will hopefully be gone soon. It is for sale if anyone is interested. PM for more info & pics.
Man I hate HOAs. Never experienced one until moving to GA. I'll never buy another house that requires a HOA membership. I own the house, yet I need permission to do anything to my house from a group of snooty people. Oh yeah, and I need to pay $1,000 a year for the "privilege" to live in this neighborhood.

I have a similar situation with my garage. I have a side entrance garage and decided to build another two car garage that was front facing and attached to the house. It was going to have the same construction and materials (i.e. brick exterior) as the house. Would have looked awesome. HOA wouldn't allow it. Nothing says I can't have a front facing garage, but they say it's not allowed. Even though 2 houses in the subdivision have a front facing garage. They say that was the only way their homes could be built because their lots are narrower. They also wouldn't allow a shed in the backyard. They did approve a driveway extension that allows me to park my 2 older cars outside and gives me the space I need to back my other cars out of the garage. So instead of having a nice garage that adds value to my house and looks good in the neighborhood, the HOA prefers me to have old cars sitting outside all the time. Just stupid. Sorry for the rant.

The other thing I did is install two ceiling mounted racks in the garage. Great way to store Christmas decorations and other things needed occasionally. My garage has 12 foot ceilings so this worked out well.

SafeRacks
Old 04-10-2018, 07:05 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

You need to learn and employ the One Year Rule. If in a one year period, you have not used or touched the stuff in your garage or storage areas, you need to:

1) throw it out
2) give it away
3) donate it

Take your pick.

Simplify. De-clutter. De-stress.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:33 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Not everyone has space for a shed or a basement to put things in.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:15 AM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by txpackers
My garage has 12 foot ceilings so this worked out well.
Homeowners associations can be ridiculous sometimes. What is your garage width? Any chance you could install two lifts side by side and get all the cars in? The lifts can be cheaper than you think. I see that done a lot in my area.

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Not everyone has space for a shed or a basement to put things in.
I have a tiny 101 year old carriage house/garage that I was able to expand to make room for extra cars but I still need all the space I could get. Luckily the design of the old garage employed a very tall, attic area, over 6’ tall, so I installed a floor, pull down stairs, and a hatch with a hoist mounted above. So with the sole exception of the lawn mower, every non-car-related item (snow blower, weed spreader, rakes, etc) goes up in the attic. I HATE clutter!
Old 04-10-2018, 01:10 PM
KM1959
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by txpackers
Man I hate HOAs. Never experienced one until moving to GA. I'll never buy another house that requires a HOA membership. I own the house, yet I need permission to do anything to my house from a group of snooty people. Oh yeah, and I need to pay $1,000 a year for the "privilege" to live in this neighborhood.

I have a similar situation with my garage. I have a side entrance garage and decided to build another two car garage that was front facing and attached to the house. It was going to have the same construction and materials (i.e. brick exterior) as the house. Would have looked awesome. HOA wouldn't allow it. Nothing says I can't have a front facing garage, but they say it's not allowed. Even though 2 houses in the subdivision have a front facing garage. They say that was the only way their homes could be built because their lots are narrower. They also wouldn't allow a shed in the backyard. They did approve a driveway extension that allows me to park my 2 older cars outside and gives me the space I need to back my other cars out of the garage. So instead of having a nice garage that adds value to my house and looks good in the neighborhood, the HOA prefers me to have old cars sitting outside all the time. Just stupid. Sorry for the rant.

The other thing I did is install two ceiling mounted racks in the garage. Great way to store Christmas decorations and other things needed occasionally. My garage has 12 foot ceilings so this worked out well.

SafeRacks
Yes, there are some disadvantages with HOAs but there are lots of advantages too. Ours doesn't allow sheds that are visable from the street, they are unsightly, i get it, so I installed an 8x10 that is under six feet tall. Maybe that will work for you guys too? As I am over six feet I added pipe insulation to the cross beams and inside door frame that work to prevent a sudden onslaught of profanities. Lawn tools, and sport stuff all fit in just fine.

To protect the car doors in the garage, I mounted some foam mats on the wall - the kind people use under kitchen sinks - that I saw at Sam's Club. They are about 1/2" thick and nearly match the wall color. Of course this does nothing for the middle car in the garage but we just do our best to be careful.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:55 PM
2000se
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by yrralis1
There was a time I used to deal with squeezing two 911's in a tight garage . I came very close a few times but never hit anything . I now park one outside .

WWWHAA!! That one pic is way too close for my comfort level... I literally heard scraping noises and nothing was even moving!!
Old 04-10-2018, 02:19 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Well no one has suggested the best solution so let me dive in. Autocross. When you can clip the cones by an inch at 60 then a foot from the wall at walking speed is a piece of cake.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:58 PM
2000se
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Well no one has suggested the best solution so let me dive in. Autocross. When you can clip the cones by an inch at 60 then a foot from the wall at walking speed is a piece of cake.
Very true!
Old 04-10-2018, 04:12 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
your posts never disappoint

Quick Reply: Garage is TOO small. Concerned about hitting right side