Sponsored by:

Thoughts on 991 Purchase/Price

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 10:49 AM
Chuck_Finley
AutoX

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thoughts on 991 Purchase/Price

Hi everybody - Been looking at 991s for about a year. RL has been a big help in helping me decide to go Porsche, so thanks to all of the users.

Anyway, I'm finally ready to pull the trigger once I find the right car. Only absolutes are that I 1) need 2015+ CPO, and 2) do not want a cab. I have a strong preference for a Targa, but my max budget is ~100k.

I did come across the following at a list price of $93k (build sheet pasted below):

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ink=true&Log=0

Huge fan of the miami blue, 7MT, and 2017 with 991.2 upgrades and longer warranty. Price seems to be a decent deal to me, but I may be swayed by the color/transmission/MY 2017. Any thoughts on whether it's a good deal?

Also, anyone else plan on buying Targa but settle for coupe, and if so what are your thoughts? I'm in midwest so I really only have a couple months out of the year that I could use Targa top every day I drive it. All of the Targas I've seen below 100k have been high-ish miles or ruled out for one reason or another. I've waited this long, so I don't mind waiting another 6-9 months for prices to drop more.

Thanks everybody!Price:$118,095.00Exterior:Miami BlueInterior:Leather Interior in Black24891Seat Stitching in Deviated Thread (Front and Rear)24901Dashboard Stitching in Deviated Thread24902Upper Door Panel Stitching in Deviated Thread24905Rear Side Panel Stitching in Deviated Thread24906Center Console Lid Stitching in Deviated Thread26741Center Door Panel Stitching in Deviated Thread26751Armrest Stitching in Deviated Thread26761Door Handle Stitching in Deviated Thread276Auto-Dimming Mirrors342Seat heating (front)498Deletion of Model Designation529SportDesign exterior mirrors541Seat Ventilation (Front)581Luggage net in passenger footwell583Smoking package625Porsche Entry & Drive630Light Design Package858GT Sport Steering Wheel90017Sport Seats Plus Backrest Shell with Stitching in Deviated Thread90027Steering Column Casing with Stitching in Deviated Thread9VLBose ® Surround Sound SystemAZLeather interior in BlackCXMExtended Interior Package, Door Panel in LeatherCZWExtended Interior Package, Dashboard Trim in LeatherEKAInterior Package Painted i.c.w. Leather InteriorJ5Miami BlueP05Sport Seats Plus (4-way)QR5Sport Chrono PackageXGLSport Chrono Clock Dial in Racing YellowXHNSeat belts in Racing YellowXHSRear center tunnel in leather with decorative stitchingXNGInstrument surround in leatherXNSSteering column casing in leatherXSCPorsche Crest on headrestsXWKSport Seats Plus Backrest Shells in Leather
Old 04-05-2018, 11:02 AM
ajeffrey10
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck_Finley
Hi everybody - Been looking at 991s for about a year. RL has been a big help in helping me decide to go Porsche, so thanks to all of the users.

Anyway, I'm finally ready to pull the trigger once I find the right car. Only absolutes are that I 1) need 2015+ CPO, and 2) do not want a cab. I have a strong preference for a Targa, but my max budget is ~100k.

I did come across the following at a list price of $93k (build sheet pasted below):

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ink=true&Log=0

Huge fan of the miami blue, 7MT, and 2017 with 991.2 upgrades and longer warranty. Price seems to be a decent deal to me, but I may be swayed by the color/transmission/MY 2017. Any thoughts on whether it's a good deal?

Also, anyone else plan on buying Targa but settle for coupe, and if so what are your thoughts? I'm in midwest so I really only have a couple months out of the year that I could use Targa top every day I drive it. All of the Targas I've seen below 100k have been high-ish miles or ruled out for one reason or another. I've waited this long, so I don't mind waiting another 6-9 months for prices to drop more.

Thanks everybody!Price:$118,095.00Exterior:Miami BlueInterior:Leather Interior in Black24891Seat Stitching in Deviated Thread (Front and Rear)24901Dashboard Stitching in Deviated Thread24902Upper Door Panel Stitching in Deviated Thread24905Rear Side Panel Stitching in Deviated Thread24906Center Console Lid Stitching in Deviated Thread26741Center Door Panel Stitching in Deviated Thread26751Armrest Stitching in Deviated Thread26761Door Handle Stitching in Deviated Thread276Auto-Dimming Mirrors342Seat heating (front)498Deletion of Model Designation529SportDesign exterior mirrors541Seat Ventilation (Front)581Luggage net in passenger footwell583Smoking package625Porsche Entry & Drive630Light Design Package858GT Sport Steering Wheel90017Sport Seats Plus Backrest Shell with Stitching in Deviated Thread90027Steering Column Casing with Stitching in Deviated Thread9VLBose ® Surround Sound SystemAZLeather interior in BlackCXMExtended Interior Package, Door Panel in LeatherCZWExtended Interior Package, Dashboard Trim in LeatherEKAInterior Package Painted i.c.w. Leather InteriorJ5Miami BlueP05Sport Seats Plus (4-way)QR5Sport Chrono PackageXGLSport Chrono Clock Dial in Racing YellowXHNSeat belts in Racing YellowXHSRear center tunnel in leather with decorative stitchingXNGInstrument surround in leatherXNSSteering column casing in leatherXSCPorsche Crest on headrestsXWKSport Seats Plus Backrest Shells in Leather
Bit of a stripper, and the Miami blue/yellow accents would make me nauseous.

I bought a CPO from Sonnen late last year and it was a much better-than-expected experience.

Call Brett Payne. He's as reasonable as you can expect for being a Porsche sales guy.

One CPO service issue, attended to at Sonnen, was also a great experience, fwiw.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:45 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,613 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I think it is an awesome build. It ticks all of our boxes: no sunroof manual with heated and ventilated sport seats plus. And if I had ordered it I would have added Bose and seat shells covered in leather. So that’s a bonus. And it’s in a Hey-Look-at-Me color which CarChick prefers.

If that had come along three months ago it would be in our garage. I would have changed out the painted interior trim for stock, or leather from Exclusive Option.

As it is, I hope CarChick doesn’t see it.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:46 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I am fairly certain that is Rotiforms old car. I really dig the spec, without the sunroof.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/10/...e-porsche-911/
Old 04-05-2018, 01:16 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Thats a great build! higher msrp than some S's too.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:20 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 691 Likes on 314 Posts

I love that painted interior!
Old 04-05-2018, 02:34 PM
Chuck_Finley
AutoX

You all aren't doing a great job in convincing me to wait for that Targa...

But seriously, what about the fact that it was owned by the wheel company (for about 20 months, and 7600 miles)? That kinda gives me pause because I'm sure they drove it like they stole it since they presumably knew they'd be getting rid of it (I know that's what I'd do if I was them).
Old 04-05-2018, 03:12 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

if you want a targa, wait for a targa or you will be second guessing yourself ... its CPO? I wouldnt worry about the wheel company ownership *IF* you love the color and options combo. There wont be a 2nd one like this...
Old 04-05-2018, 03:19 PM
JEllis
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

But seriously, what about the fact that it was owned by the wheel company (for about 20 months, and 7600 miles)? That kinda gives me pause because I'm sure they drove it like they stole it since they presumably knew they'd be getting rid of it (I know that's what I'd do if I was them).
These cars do better when they are driven and driven hard. I wouldn't worry about the previous owner. If you want a Targa, you should wait for a Targa. Keep in mind Targas are all AWD, if you care.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:21 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by JEllis
These cars do better when they are driven and driven hard. I wouldn't worry about the previous owner. If you want a Targa, you should wait for a Targa. Keep in mind Targas are all AWD, if you care.
100% agree with both aspects of this comment.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:50 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,613 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Oh. THAT's what you wanted? How's this:

All that leather just means you'll have to spend more time conditioning and cleaning it.
The sport seats plus are horrible. Since they hug you and keep you from moving around during spirited maneuvers, you won't get that roller-coaster feeling (and bruises) from being bounced around the cabin.
Manual Transmission? Meh. Just makes your left calf bigger than the right and we ALL know what happens when you play with your stick too much.
Miami Blue. Horrible color. It's just one shade from Duck Egg Blue. That means that during The Season, every duck flying by will land on your roof and try to incubate your 911.

Better?
Old 04-05-2018, 07:59 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,103 Posts

Great build, just a word of caution on 4 way seats which most others dont run into is if you are tall, 6'4" +, you might be bothered by the lack of thigh support. You can't adjust the front of the seat, by your knees, up and down. Something minor, but something I would just check out if you do happen to be taller. I would definitely go for it. Being able to get a 991.2 for that price is fantastic.

Also, I really wouldn't worry about the previous owner thing. Any car that you buy used comes with risks. Could have been redlined every day from cold without being brought up to temperature. I would like to think that car enthusiasts (like that wheel company) would tend to warm up a car before taking it near redline. With CPO, you have very little to worry about. You can at least be sure there are no problems and then keep it long term from there.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:15 PM
Chuck_Finley
AutoX

Thanks everybody. Time to talk to Ms. Finley who not surprisingly calls the shots.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:24 PM
AlexLou
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

That painted interior color gotta go, it just doesn’t flow with yellow accent... it’s one way or another, but not together, and since you can’t change the stitching and cost of the belt, change the interior blue is only choice.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:04 AM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Yeah, that interior is ummm.....an acquired taste.

And nobody else said it, so I will, but you realize it's a 3.0 not a 3.8?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on 991 Purchase/Price