Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using an independent shop for leased car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 08:48 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Using an independent shop for leased car?

I have kind of had it with Porsche Bellevue for maintenance of my 911.2 C2s. Not sure what is up with that place, but the service reps seem very overworked and do not return calls promptly at all and when they do they always mention how crazy busy they are. Not enough service reps? The service reps they have are not efficient? I really have no idea. Anyway, my 911 had a coolant leak. Took it in last Thursday. This is the second instance during this service period where I am sitting at work not knowing if the car is ready or not and ready to either pick up the car or go home. Oh, by the way, no loaner car this time. Uber. I have tried very hard to be patient with them but there is a limit. NEVER had this issue with the Lexus dealer. Much better service and organization from them. Anyway, just wondering if it is asking for trouble to take the car to a good independent Porsche mechanic for warranty work while car is still under lease. I have another 14 months on this lease. The thought of bringing my car back to the Bellevue store is not good. I think I may send a letter to Porsche N.A.. Something really needs to change at the Bellevue Dealership. Can't help wondering if there is some major disfunction going on there that needs a fix.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:01 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

This seems to be a relatively common complaint with P dealers but I think you’re stuck for warranty work

J
Old 04-04-2018, 09:18 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

You should demand a LOANER. They are required by PCNA to provide one I'm sure. Call PCNA and complain.

Call us at 1-800-PORSCHE (1-800-767-7243)

Only dealers can do warranty work.

Seems to be the norm with almost all Porsche dealers. As mentioned, most other brands perform much better, and we're not talking luxury brands either. For the prices P dealers charge, they should be flawless. They should pay premium $$ for employees like they charge $$ for everything else. They seem to have staffing issues and quality of staff at many dealers.

Last edited by STG; 04-04-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:29 AM
cas1337
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've experienced the exact same thing at my local dealer as well. Per the shop foreman, they have had trouble finding and retaining quality technicians. Also, they only have about 12 lifts in their work space. Due to the limited number of service bays and technicians, they don't need to have a ton of advisers (my dealership only has 3). So they work these advisers to death to handle what comes through the doors and they don't have much time to reply to emails or respond to phone calls. While my 991.1S was in service at one point for over 60 days, I had to repeatedly chase down my adviser for status updates. I'm talking 2-3 voicemails and 2-3 emails over a week's time without a reply.

Not to mention, they're looking at 1 month lead time for loaners. When my clutch got 'stuck' and the car was inoperable, they weren't going to give me a loaner until I talked with the Service Manager and finally squeezed it out of him. It took me opening a claim with PCNA to get any movement on the loaner issue.

My CPO lapsed in February and I doubt I'll ever be back to this dealer with this car.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:37 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

With year-over-year record sales all these dealers can afford to buy a few more loaners which they get at a substantial discount anyway.

Sell these cars as pre-owned after the fact as well. Good customer service in my opinion For the premium prices these cars fetch along with premium cost for service.

I'm sure they are all running into bottlenecks with the amount of Macan's they are selling. Screw over guys spending $150,000 ++ on a car for a base $50K Macan oil change.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:33 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

It is just such a contrast. The 911 is a wonderful car and no-one else makes anything quite like it. Then the sub par customer service which is so frustrating. I certainly did not expect that after buying such an expensive car. I was considering getting a Macan for our next go everywhere car. The Cayenne is too big for my taste. But no more. Probably we will replace our Lexus RX450h with another Lexus. Yeah, kind of a boring car but it has had zero issues in 5 years and the service work on it has been frustration free. They even offer loaners if the service time is not that long. We will keep the 911 and go to a dedicated 911 service place after warranty runs out. Assuming my 911 does not turn out to be a problem car. So far after almost two years it has been in the shop for a strut related squeak during which they also replaced the water pump, and now the coolant leak, and the delay with that due to a seized bolt. A seized bolt on a car with 8,000 miles and kept indoors seems kind of odd too. Maybe something got over torqued sometime. If the car continues to have little problems, we may have to do a rethink about keeping it. If no more problems then we will keep it. The 911 is like a drug that gets you hooked, then what price are you willing to pay to fuel the addiction
Old 04-04-2018, 12:35 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cas1337
I've experienced the exact same thing at my local dealer as well. Per the shop foreman, they have had trouble finding and retaining quality technicians. Also, they only have about 12 lifts in their work space. Due to the limited number of service bays and technicians, they don't need to have a ton of advisers (my dealership only has 3). So they work these advisers to death to handle what comes through the doors and they don't have much time to reply to emails or respond to phone calls. While my 991.1S was in service at one point for over 60 days, I had to repeatedly chase down my adviser for status updates. I'm talking 2-3 voicemails and 2-3 emails over a week's time without a reply.

Not to mention, they're looking at 1 month lead time for loaners. When my clutch got 'stuck' and the car was inoperable, they weren't going to give me a loaner until I talked with the Service Manager and finally squeezed it out of him. It took me opening a claim with PCNA to get any movement on the loaner issue.

My CPO lapsed in February and I doubt I'll ever be back to this dealer with this car.
This is just mind boggling.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:19 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
With year-over-year record sales all these dealers can afford to buy a few more loaners which they get at a substantial discount anyway.

Sell these cars as pre-owned after the fact as well. Good customer service in my opinion For the premium prices these cars fetch along with premium cost for service.

I'm sure they are all running into bottlenecks with the amount of Macan's they are selling. Screw over guys spending $150,000 ++ on a car for a base $50K Macan oil change.
I was talking to the service manager about my car, which was supposed to have the entire driver side door panel replaced because it rattles horribly but has been "in production" for 8 months, and this is EXACTLY the issue that the dealerships in ATL are facing. They are selling so many cars they simply do not have loaners for all of these people.

They really need to step up their game for their customers who spend 150k on a car, because honestly, in my mind, its part of the ownership experience and value. They tried to call enterprise when my car first went in and I told them it was unacceptable.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:20 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Got a call back and car is ready. Will Uber over to the dealer this afternoon. I never felt like the problem was with the people, but rather with the system. Hope they can get through these growing pains and end up with excellent customer service. May not happen in my lifetime though
Old 04-04-2018, 02:32 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

PCNA sends out a survey at the end of service calls. Tell them exactly how you feel on the survey. PCNA does contact the dealership if there are bad reviews, so your candor may start the ball rolling on something. On the other hand, it may not do anything except make you feel better to vent a little.
Old 04-04-2018, 02:37 PM
gellie
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 116 Posts

Not sure how much that helps. I had/have a problem with delivery on my new 911 Cab S. PCNA sent out a survey, dealer called. Still no resolution. I think the dealer gets off the hook when they reach out to you. Regardless of a positive outcome.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:39 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

Sorry to hear about the service problems. I am lucky to have Porsche of the Main Line up the street. Their service department is terrific, always a loaner and clear communication. Hopefully these others get it together because it is part of the ownership experience. (They even had time to service my wife's S5 yesterday)
Eric
Old 04-04-2018, 07:45 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ENCT
Sorry to hear about the service problems. I am lucky to have Porsche of the Main Line up the street. Their service department is terrific, always a loaner and clear communication. Hopefully these others get it together because it is part of the ownership experience. (They even had time to service my wife's S5 yesterday)
Eric
Glad to read some good news! You are lucky!
Old 04-04-2018, 09:41 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Just to conclude. Got the car back today. All good. Talked with the service manager and basically asked what was going on. He agreed that they had a problem and were understaffed. He said their business has gone way up not due to sales, but an increase in cars brought in for servicing not bought there. Said that Porsche people had visited the dealership and he hoped that they would be able to increase tech staff and manager staff. He agreed that I had good reason to be frustrated. So I guess it ended OK and I really hope that those responsible can step up and fix the staffing problem they have there.

Followup: This morning got an email from Porsche N.A., so at least they acknowledged the issue. I hate to complain, but feel better knowing it might change things for the better for everyone involved.

Last edited by dflowerz; 04-05-2018 at 12:08 PM. Reason: New information has come to light:)
Old 04-04-2018, 11:53 PM
r00t61
Pro

Received 244 Likes on 154 Posts

I have had nothing but excellent service at Porsche of San Diego, be it for maintenance or warranty repair (had several COVs replaced).

They always provide a loaner - usually a Macan/Cayenne.

It can sometimes take a few weeks to get an appointment.

Thus far, this aspect of 911 ownership is way better than the service I used to get when I had my Corvette.

Quick Reply: Using an independent shop for leased car?