Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual 991 Question : chatter near stall?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 12:45 AM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Manual 991 Question : chatter near stall?

Asking my fellow 3 pedal users... Have you noticed that the 991 will sometimes make a rapid "clank-clank-clank" noise around the clutch/flywheel area seemingly, when the RPM drop "dangerously" low ?
It happens in my case when you don't give it quite as much RPM to take off as it wants, particularly when starting uphill with a smidge less gas than it wants? not enough to stall the car, but enough to possibly make the computer think "uh oh" and trigger some countermeasure I think...

I highly suspect it's the auto-restart feature - which is turned off on my car (as in it won't turn the engine off but will still restart the car if it stalls) - I think I "just" break a threshold of impending stall (but I don't stall, thanks a bunch!) and it tries to engage the starter just as I feather in more gas...At least I think that's what that is, I could be wrong... Just wondering if others have heard that... By and large this car seems to want a little more "gas" than my other manual cars to be happy on take off, and the gas pedal is a little lazy generally speaking if not in sports mode... I wish I could turn that feature off completely (the auto-restart) to test my theory, because I've stalled that car maybe 3 times in the past 2 years (2 of the 3 on the first week of ownership ;-) but I do hear that "grinding/chattering" way more often when I don't gun it enough, apparently ( and only then)... It has never stalled when I do that, and I've been driving clutch cars with zero issues for 30yrs... (My 911 SC had 180K miles on its clutch which I heard was some sort of record).. Again general operation is perfect, it's just on near stall situations.. Can I turn that completely off with a generic ODB tools or PIWIS to test ? Or might it be something else ? I bought that car preowned so I am unsure of clutch wear but no slip that I can detect and the clutch seems fine...
Old 03-31-2018, 01:05 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

Don't lug the car down so low - it has nothing to do with the auto-restart function. Flywheels are not that heavy on these cars - you may be used to something that has one of those heavier flywheels, which are less prone to stalling.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:25 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Adding to Drcollie's (always) sound advice, remember when on a hill, you may be activating the Hill Hold function, and that requires a little extra "oooommff" to get rolling. Heck, some don’t even know we have HH function. The ones that know it, about ½ hate it. LOL!!

On way to "practice" is to use the e-brake automatic disengage function, by having your seat belt latch, and using the car's momentum to release the e-brake (not using the button) works in forward and reverse.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:43 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the main issue is that I have the "gas in, clutch out" foot action imprinted in my brain from many years of responsive cars, carburated, EFI and generally more responsive throttle.
The 991 "E-gas" in non-sports mode has a very "dead" gas pedal for the first few Cm of travel so I'm probably Off a bit in some cases... I thought about it and this never happens in sports mode, which makes the gas pedal more responsive..
So you're probably right, i thought the "stall-starter" might be engaging but it's probably just about to stall (but does not) and makes that noise when it's about to die... I hate giving it more gas though, makes it sound like I can't drive a clutch... Guess I'll leave it in sports all the time from now on, simpler than rewiring my brain.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:58 PM
Code
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes, I've heard it. On rare occasions I'll stall while backing into my garage, which admittedly takes a bit of finesse on my part since there is an incline and tight turn. Regardless, when it does stall/auto start I'll sometimes hear that clunk. I'm guessing it's the starter engaging the flywheel.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:50 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

I know what you mean, I occasionally get it. I think it is just lack of seat time in the car if you don't drive it every day (I don't) - the clutch does take some getting used to.
Old 04-26-2019, 02:03 PM
Serge997
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi. Late to the chat. Wondering if any 991.1 tracking this conversation. Took it to my 991 C4S to my preferred dealer and the foreman drove it with me in it. He was able to replicate the shatter on low speeds and when stroling in first, gas off and pushing clutch pedal. He states it is a bit of flywheel chatter that he finds to be fine. He checked the clutch and mounts and said they look good (14k on them).

Just saw all commenting are 991.2.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:06 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Don't think I've heard it on the few times I've stalled out on some very steep hills around SF or was too light on the pedal.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:17 PM
Serge997
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 25 Posts

For those of you experiencing it, is it when you are off the gas but rolling at very very low speeds or ... off the gas and as you are crawling to a stop one presses the clutch to not stall?

I get it in the latter = when I’m slowing down off the gas and press the clutch. I.e. looking for a spot on a parking garage and something comes up right ahead of you. As if once load is taken off the tranny it rattles for a half a second.

Thoughts appreciated.
I
Old 04-30-2019, 02:05 AM
Bry5on
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like you're hearing the dual mass flywheel run out of travel and hit its limits. Normal on modern manual cars
Old 12-16-2019, 02:25 PM
Beldar
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes that latter parking garage situation is the one I have. Sounds like it might be normal but new to me with a manual. New types of flywheels and whatnot I guess. Happens coming up to stop sign sometimes.

Quick Reply: Manual 991 Question : chatter near stall?